I've decided to do a modified stage 1 forever...for now.

Options
chicbuc
chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
3 sets of 10 reps with a little extra ab work and some ytwl's and shrugs thrown in for good measure.

I really enjoyed Stage 1, and didn't enjoy the other stages much at all. It's a full body workout 3 x per week, so it makes good sense, right?

Replies

• mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Gotta do what works for you girl! Just keep moving! :wink:
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you enjoy other stages??
  • chicbuc
    Options
    I didn't like having to learn all new moves and some of them are a bit too complicated for my clumsy butt.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I must admit I far preferred Stage 1 routines to the other stages which I also find a little over complicated. However I HATE YTWLSs and do like some of the single leg stuff. I think that if you're doing plenty of compound moves you're working your core all the time so I think that the additional abs are a bit of a waste sometimes. I may end up with a combination of moves from the Stages to cover the whole body, and maybe more Stronglifts stuff to keep it simple.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i had very similar thoughts about the subject to be honest, but im only halfway through stage4 just yet so it gives me a little more time to figure how to continue after im done with the program.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I didn't like having to learn all new moves and some of them are a bit too complicated for my clumsy butt.

New moves will force more change on the body than movements the muscles are already familiar with. Learning new moves is great for the mind, balance and coordination too! It's supposed to be hard and feel awkward/clumsy in the beginning.
  • chicbuc
    Options
    I might start incorporating some of the split leg work and such after a couple of months, trading them out for lunges and step ups, but I want to keep the basic squat and deadlift and build on it. I missed plain old back squats so much in the other stages.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

New moves will force more change on the body than movements the muscles are already familiar with. Learning new moves is great for the mind, balance and coordination too! It's supposed to be hard and feel awkward/clumsy in the beginning.

I have to agree with this. Don't box yourself in too much. You might consider doing Stage 1 workouts 2x week and then adding in those exercises you don't like 1X week. But you gotta do whatever YOU will stick with and enjoy!
  • chicbuc
    Options
    That's actually a really good idea, cowgirl (I refuse to call you chubby)! The most important thing is that I've decided to stick with a 3 day a week full body workout and actually do it ;)
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As long as you continue to add weight to your deadlift and squat, as well as in do accessory lifts for arms I think you will be fine. It's not "NROLFW" per se, but it is a good workout! Just keep challenging yourself.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    I do believe the BEST exercise is the one that you'll do.

So, your plan *seems* sound.

However, recognize that your health/fitness ONLY improve when your body has to "work" - the human body has AMAZING ADAPTABILITY and it will adapt, quite quickly, to one single routine. You won't see nearly as many strength gains, nor shape changes, if you aren't changing up your heavy-lifting routine from time-to-time.