To ditch the trainer??

Options
Read NROLFW and am starting Thursday. I met with my trainer (only had her for 2 sessions so far) and since she's a little more "old-school" she is still a firm believer in lighter weights, more reps. That goes against everything I have read in the book and on here. I'm really torn, I like her a lot (yesterday she walked me through my form on squats and deadlifts just for my peace of mind) but I feel like we're not in agreement here. And since I have so much weight to lose (about 50+ punds) I think that's her main focus...she kept using the phrase "getting bulky." What would you guys suggest?

Replies

• tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    you know from reading the book that you're not going to get bulky by doing less reps with more weight! i think it's great to ask her for help with form and stuff, since you want to make sure you're doing it right, but i'd stick with the weights/reps recommended in the book. good luck!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    In fitness, weight loss and life in general, you will find many differing opinions on what is the right thing to do. The best way to make a decision is to weigh all the factual evidence (information obtained from legitimate not-for-profit scientific research) and then make your choice. After you have committed to your choice, study how its effect on you (your own research n=1) and re-evaluate after a specified time period. If you got the results you wanted, continue. If not, go back to the drawing board.

What do you think would work best for you at this point? If you decide on NROLFW, you don't need a trainer. If you choose to do the program, commit to it and follow it through all the stages and then re-evaluate whether you got the results you wanted or not. I was thrilled with my NROLFW results and am now doing Supercharged.

One caveat about the NROLFW plan and weight loss: You may not drop weight if you follow the calorie recommendations in the book. I don't think they are the best for people who have a lot of fat to lose. You may want to consider following the NROLFW work out plan and creating a separate diet plan based that you adjust as you go along based on your results. I adjust my calories stage by stage now, based on the goal of the stage I'm in and my own short-term goals (fat loss, build lean mass, build strength).
  • amber_michelle30
    amber_michelle30 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am commited to doing as said in the book. His research and experience on lifting heavy has proven itself. SO I guess I just answered my own question. :) Obviously her opinion is not that of mine so we may have to part ways.
    Myownsunshine, what you said about not following the diet in the book, can you be more specific? Are you meaning how many calories should be consumed? I'm at 1700 and eat back the majority of my exercise calories. Given that you have done so well with your weight loss, do you think that's sufficient?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I'm really not a great model for setting your calories for weight loss. Due to my age (44), my long history of obesity and dieting/weight loss (lost and regained over 250 pounds in my life, in various chunks of pounds not including my current 110), and the fact that my current loss is post weight loss surgery, no one should use me as a metabolic role model. LOL

What I found is that I was losing at about 1400ish calories towards the end of my WLS loss when I started NROL. I bumped my calories up to the recommended amounts and completed the program and my weight basically stayed the same. I did slowly recomposition some body fat to lean mass, and I made insane strength and fitness gains.

Right now, I can cut/lose on 1600 calories, but the losses are small (1 pound per week) and I stall out after about 4 weeks so I return to maintenance for a while to spare what little metabolism I have left. I am going to do one more cut during the Supercharged Basic Training Stage IV, and then I'll do maintenance calories (1800-2200 based on activity) for the rest of Supercharged, and likely the rest of the year. I'll reassess then.

I know that some have found that they could lose on the NROL calorie plan, and others have found they needed to decrease the calories. As my example demonstrates, not everyone can use the same cookie cutter plan and get the same results. I would probably recommend trying the book's advice for the first 2 or 3 stages and then adjust your calories accordingly.
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    You're right...everyone is so different!! It'll be like a trial and error situation until I find what works for me, and I'm okay with that. I'm so excited about this, I just hate to break the news to her that I'm going to go off of what the book suggests. She may not agree, but I think she'll understand and hopefully she'll wish me the best...if not, too bad:bigsmile:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I just consider Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler my personal trainers. LOL
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I follow the workout plans, but as far as diet goes I do TDEE - 20% and watch my macros. Seems to be working pretty well so far!
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    I just consider Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler my personal trainers. LOL

lol right!!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Have you showed the exercises in the book to the trainer? I don't know how many sessions you purchased in advance (if any), but you could insist on doing the all the exercises in the book over a few sessions and have her critique your form. That way as you progress through the stages on your own you will have a nice idea of what good form feels like for each of the exercises. Just a thought on how to get your money's worth!! I have been in a similar situation with a trainer and it is VERY frustrating ugh.
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    Have you showed the exercises in the book to the trainer? I don't know how many sessions you purchased in advance (if any), but you could insist on doing the all the exercises in the book over a few sessions and have her critique your form. That way as you progress through the stages on your own you will have a nice idea of what good form feels like for each of the exercises. Just a thought on how to get your money's worth!! I have been in a similar situation with a trainer and it is VERY frustrating ugh.

I did have her walk through squats (which she insisted on using the smith____ something squat machine), dead lifts, and prone jackknifes. I feel like she feels I'm insulting her by asking that. I have definitely thought about it because it would make me feel more confident doing them if she did. Should I ask anyway?
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You need to do the squats properly not with the smith machine. If she isn't even willing to show you how to do them properly then you need to get rid of her and get a different one for a session to teach you what you need to know IMO

From everything I have heard smith machines should be avoided at all cost as they can cause injuries so I personally would not use it.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You need to do the squats properly not with the smith machine. If she isn't even willing to show you how to do them properly then you need to get rid of her and get a different one for a session to teach you what you need to know IMO

From everything I have heard smith machines should be avoided at all cost as they can cause injuries so I personally would not use it.

I agree. If she isn't willing to show you proper form I'd look for someone else. She is supposed to be giving you instruction on things you ask about and it sounds like she doesn't really understand weight lifting. To have a trainer say you don't want to get bulky is kind of a red flag for me. Not all trainers are the same. I went to one and all she had was hand weights and weighted bars so she obviously didn't have the knowledge for true lifting clients. As your goals change, your trainer may need to change.
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    I agree. The whole "bulky" comment had my mouth to the floor. I can see someone without experience or knowledge to know that isn't true, but a trainer?? That's why I said "old school." Last time I saw her though I brought my book in and she flipped through it reading some of the things I highlighted, and said "good stuff." So, I'm curious if she'll expand on what she believes.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Having been in and out of the gym for the last couple of decades, I can tell you that part of the reason why women think that they'll get bulky is because we've been told so. By trainers.

If she warns you that you'll get bulky, tell her that's your goal and ask if she's willing to help you do that. What you are looking for is a progressive resistance program that uses exercises that work your entire body instead of focusing on axillary exercises to define specific muscles. NROLFW is an example of this. Sara and SideSteel on Eat, Train, Progress can help you with the exact wording to describe your goals.

If she doesn't want to follow Alwyn's program, and you want to keep her, she should be able come up with another program that meets the same parameters. If she can't do that, you're wasting your money.
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    Thank you!!:)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    My $0.02:

1. Find a trainer who listens.
    2. Proceed to utilize that trainer only 2 times, at the beginning of each stage of NROL4W.
    3. Have trainer walk you through an "A" work-out in one training session.
    4. Have trainer walk you through a "B" work-out in your 2nd training session.
    5. Work through the stage on your own.
    6. Book 2 more sessions with trainer at beginning of next stage.

You won't need training for stages 4 and 5 because they are the same as 2 and 3. You can pay for 10 training sessions and get personalized training for Stages 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7 - work-outs A and B - and keep the rest of the program as DIY.

(I did this and it worked GREAT for me! My trainer walked me through the stages, noting when my form wasn't correct, and helped me "adapt" moves to my body-type, too!!)
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose as well. I did Phase 1 trying to follow the diet recommended in the book...no weight loss. So I started following MFP recommendations for caloric intake (set at 1.5 pounds loss per week, I found 2.0 was just too much and I didn't have enough energy for lifting), I also changed settings for my macros to increase protein slightly. I am now seeing weight loss. I just started Phase 3 today and have yet to bulk, and I have higher testosterone than most women. My muscles are beginning to get very defined, even under the layer of fat that I have. This program has been amazing for me, hope you like it as much as I do!
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I think I'll do that...ask her just to go through A and B with me. I did stage 1 B today by myself and I really liked it. I did take what I could to the private room so no one could see me lol I'm slowly getting over this fear. Should have seen me carrying the bar all through the gym though...probably looked ridiculous:)
  • amber_michelle30
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose as well. I did Phase 1 trying to follow the diet recommended in the book...no weight loss. So I started following MFP recommendations for caloric intake (set at 1.5 pounds loss per week, I found 2.0 was just too much and I didn't have enough energy for lifting), I also changed settings for my macros to increase protein slightly. I am now seeing weight loss. I just started Phase 3 today and have yet to bulk, and I have higher testosterone than most women. My muscles are beginning to get very defined, even under the layer of fat that I have. This program has been amazing for me, hope you like it as much as I do!

I noticed that my diet is pretty similar already to what the book suggests. I try and stay at 1700 calories and eat back what I burn. The frustrating part for me is not having an accurate way to measure how many calories I burn while lifting. Today I guesstimated around 160.