Bathroom troubles... not going!! (TMI)

Options
Telugammayi87
Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
Hi everyone,

Since starting low- carb I'm really having trouble being regular in the bathroom. When I do go, it's not a lot. I drink nearly 2 gallons of water per day so I'm not dehydrated... I eat veggies, spinach, and take Metamucil (4tsp/day which is higher than recommended!) and still NOTHING! One of the reasons I've done a "carb up" the past 2 weekends is to be able to go to the bathroom. It cleans me out as I'm going in full for the following day!! Any suggestions? I can't have caffeine at all so I can't use that... I get ulcers and I'm sick fordays after even 1/2 a cup of warm tea.

thanks!

Replies

• SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Fiber. Lots, and lots of fiber!

Chia seeds, flax, even fiber pills that contain Phyllium husk. That said, just make sure you keep chugging that water like you have been when you up your fiber intake or there could be unintended consequences :)
  • Telugammayi87
    Options
    I'll try more chia seeds and flax. Have been out for a few weeks... The thing is I'm using up all of my carbs with Metamuci (which is psyllium husk)... I eat veggies at pretty much every meal. Eat any more and ill be going over my carbs! Guess I could cut the nuts and up the veggies... But the fiber is about the same. Maybe I just need to have a day of eating 100g carbs a day a week and make those carbs beans!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It does get to be a bit of a balancing act that's for sure. I track fiber in my diary and then subtract that to get my net carb count. I know that chia seeds usually will put me over carb count wise and stuff, but I sometimes take husk in the form of a pill, and there are no net carbs in it thankfully :)
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Add Some sort of high fiberous veggies to with your breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals.

- spinach
    - broccoli
    - cauliflower
    - asparagus

Also buy a bag of Flax Meal (found in flour section in major grocery stores). It's pretty much flax seeds grinded up. I use it like breading and add it on fish or chicken. You can also use it to make flax bread/muffins which make fore great snacks. usually has zero net Carbs depending on brand bought.

Hydrate!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I began using Prebiotin about two months ago. I went from being extremely irregular, to awesomeness. :-)

Prebiotin is a prebiotic, which means it encourages the existing bacteria in your gut to thrive (vs a probiotic, which is adding to the bacteria in your gut). I found it on Amazon. This product is a fiber powder. I add it to my morning bulletproof coffee. It's turned my irregularity around.

Oligofructose and Inulin are prebiotics that you may sometimes find in products. I've seen them also in chocolate bars.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Also try Smooth Move Tea. Works like a charm every time. You could also try Natural Calm. It's a powder form of magnesium that you mix with warm water. Works pretty good too.

Good luck!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'd also use a probiotic as well as a prebiotic. Florajen 3 is the one that I use, and it's really great--it helps to just normalize everything. In addition, you might consider a significant increase in your fat content, which tends to make things "flow" a lot more for me. Atkins has a couple of recommendations for a very high fat day, and the added, um, lubrication might really move things along if you're stuck. Everyone's body is different, but I find that too *much* fiber plugs me up.
  • SOOZIE429
    Options
    I'd also use a probiotic as well as a prebiotic. Florajen 3 is the one that I use, and it's really great--it helps to just normalize everything. In addition, you might consider a significant increase in your fat content, which tends to make things "flow" a lot more for me. Atkins has a couple of recommendations for a very high fat day, and the added, um, lubrication might really move things along if you're stuck. Everyone's body is different, but I find that too *much* fiber plugs me up.

Oh yeah. Good point. How's much fat are you eating?
  • SOOZIE429
    Options

Oh yeah. Good point. How's much fat are you eating?

I just checked out your diary. Looks like you are definitely getting plenty of fat! The culprit could be the nuts. I would cut them out for a few days and see what happens.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This has been a major issue for me as well. Three things help:

1) Eating green vegetables with two meals a day (big raw salad for lunch and either kale, spinach, green beans with dinner);

2) Bulletproof Coffee -- I know you said you can't have caffeine, but I think what works for me about this is the MCT oil -- I'd recommend mixing some into morning tea, or cooking your breakfast with coconut oil;

3) And my absolute stand-by: Smooth Move tea (you can get it at Whole Foods -- it's really tasty after dinner and you'll be confident to wake up in the morning with some "progress."
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had some problems as well, and an increase in fiber seemed to get things moving again. I would make a MIM (muffin in a minute) with flax meal and it seemed to do the trick. I had already been eating lots of greens. I think I'll look into that tea that other posters had mentioned.
  • Telugammayi87
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Going to go get flax meal and chia seeds today. I forgot I was using those before. I've heard of the smooth moves tea... is it caffeinated? Where do you buy it? I'll admit I've eaten whole boxes of Atkins bars to get things moving. LOL trying not to do that. ;-)

I'll cut out the nuts when the bag is gone... After my anniversary on the 30, I'm going low-er carb with no cheat days for some time.

I was taking a probiotic and did for about a year... it helped me overcome the bloat and sickness I got after eating for sure. I stopped taking it about 2 months ago an no sympotoms returned.... but it still wouldn 't hurt to see if adding it back would make me more regular. I'll pick that up at the store tonight also.

Again thanks everyone! I am so regular... down to a 15 minute time frame... when I'm not doing LC. I miss it!!hahaha
  • dlaciv12
    dlaciv12 Posts: 13
    Options
    If you're having problems then go with Smooth Move. If you're worried about frequency or "size" don't be. When I'm behaving I "move" every other day and it's a small amount. As I understand it your body is using more of what you eat therefor there is little waste left to get rid of.
  • Telugammayi87
    Options
    If you're having problems then go with Smooth Move. If you're worried about frequency or "size" don't be. When I'm behaving I "move" every other day and it's a small amount. As I understand it your body is using more of what you eat therefor there is little waste left to get rid of.

That's true, but if you're eating enough insoluble fiber then there should be some bulk. I'll check on caffeine content of that tea! I just don't feel... Idk.... Cleaned out! ;-)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Take a magnesium capsule every day. Magnesium is good for the body and many of us don't get enough of it anyway. Plus, it will keep you regular.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Smooth Move tea comes in a caffeine free version.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I had this discussion with my Dr yesterday after having a visit, she checked that area and said "Your a little compacted" in this area and im like yea It doesn't come easy for me Lol (TMI) so she recommened I get some Benefiber which i have been told does not work good or get something else.

Where can I buy this smooth move tea?
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Going to go get flax meal and chia seeds today. I forgot I was using those before. I've heard of the smooth moves tea... is it caffeinated? Where do you buy it? I'll admit I've eaten whole boxes of Atkins bars to get things moving. LOL trying not to do that. ;-)

I'll cut out the nuts when the bag is gone... After my anniversary on the 30, I'm going low-er carb with no cheat days for some time.

I was taking a probiotic and did for about a year... it helped me overcome the bloat and sickness I got after eating for sure. I stopped taking it about 2 months ago an no sympotoms returned.... but it still wouldn 't hurt to see if adding it back would make me more regular. I'll pick that up at the store tonight also.

Again thanks everyone! I am so regular... down to a 15 minute time frame... when I'm not doing LC. I miss it!!hahaha

Hi there, Just a quick side note, I've been low carbing/keto for seven weeks and lost very little weight (and being a bit 'slow' on the bathroom issue too) and I got some great advice. Aparently the Atkins bars contain sugar alcohols and other chemicals that actually stall weigh loss, I also found that they stalled bathrooming as well. Since I stopped eating them I have got results on both issues! Just something to think about :)
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is a different approach but you could try dropping all the fiber supplementation, adding more fat, and take magnesium supplement at night. Make sure your salt intake is high enough also. Everyone is different.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Stop eating the fiber. forget about it. there's no research that supports any utility to fiber in a human diet. you are not a ruminant. you do not have four chambered stomach. so kick the metamucil and such and don't worry about it. it is much more likely, as JSUAccounting points out that you are not getting enough fats and oils. I think you'd be better off eatin an avocado once a day or so.

lots of research on the fiber myth. sorry to see people on this site continuing to suggest it to you but it's old news that eating metamucil, chia, salad, etc. will help you. forget it.

See the Fiber Menace for example or any of the good Paleo sites. Drink water, avoid grain, reduce your carbs as you know and get plenty of fat. you might start with a good ribeye steak.

I'd also be sure you're working your core muscles. but a good walk will do that sufficient to address constipation.

let us know how everthing comes out.

http://paleohacks.com/questions/922/is-fiber-necessary-in-our-diet