New to 5x5.. Question about calorie intake

Options
caitlynwlkr
caitlynwlkr Posts: 5 Member
I've lost over 50 pounds this past year. Before I had my daughter (and gained over 80 pounds during pregnancy) I never had to worry about fitness and nutrition, I always always slim without ever trying, so I'm still learning every day. But I've recently started with 5x5 to ease into strength training because I'm realizing it's not so much about weight anymore. I don't really count calories because I eat a mostly whole foods, clean diet and I feel like as long as you eat the right stuff and aren't obviously over eating the calorie intake isn't such a big deal and I've lost most of my weight this way without starving my body of nutrients. But now I'm worried I'm not getting ENOUGH calories to weight train and I don't know how to handle this problem. I've always been the type of person that only eats like 2 meals and MAYBE a snack a day. That's all I need to not feel hungry. And I know that's not enough to gain muscle. I still have about 10 (fat) pounds to lose but I also want to gain some muscle to have some definition. I don't want to be skinny and flabby. Should I force myself to eat more? Or does anyone know of a resource I can use to calculate exactly how much I need to eat?

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you from personal experience that if you lift heavy, your body will let you know that it needs fuel! I'm often ravenous on lift days.

So if your diet is already decent and you're not worried about eating at a deficit, then my suggestion to you would be to focus on adequate lean protein intake, get to lifting, and if you want, maybe eat an extra 200 calories or so on lifting days (if you're a number cruncher -- otherwise I would just be intuitive about it as that's obviously working well for you).

I also wouldn't worry about "gaining muscle", because you'll definitely tighten up if you stick to heavy lifting. So focus on the weight on the barbell more so than the weight on the scale, and most importantly, have fun! Lifting is awesome!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dani that if you have been eating intuitively already, your hunger will guide you with lifting as well. Working the muscles and losing the fat will be the best way to start showing definition. You may see some small gains at the beginning since lifting is new for you. I know I haven't really gained any substantial muscle mass even when eating more than I burn, but I have better muscle definition the leaner I get while I continue to strength train.

Just be sure to focus on your lean proteins. Most recommendations are about .8 grams per lb of body weight.
  • caitlynwlkr
    caitlynwlkr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. I've seen your posts on other people's questions. I'm definitely an intuitive eater. If I'm hungry I'm going to eat. I don't keep junk food in the house because I have no self control when it comes to ice cream and such. I feel like my body will tell me what I need but I've done so much reading and researching I've been second guessing myself.
  • beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was eating at a deficit (1200) before I joined the 5X5 group and I had not lost any weight for four weeks. I had just started to lift. Someone here suggested I eat my TDEE and not eat back exercise. I was worried that I would gain big time because I have been having such a hard time losing weight for a few years. I didn't weigh myself for six weeks and most days struggled to eat 1800 cals. especially enough protein which I still have a hard time with. Like you I eat healthy. Anyway I stepped on the scale after six weeks and I had dropped eight pounds.

I find I have to eat lots while lifting. If I don't I really feel it. Also my body in only seven weeks is changing big time. I can't believe how fast this works. And I love it. Feel strong and competent.