Introduce yourself...

Options
farmwife3815
farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
My name is Becky. I have been doing this for almost a year. I lost 97 pounds and then hit a wall. I gained back about 30 pounds and decided that was unacceptable. I was struggling. Unfortunately I thought I could fix it on my own. Boy was I wrong. I have learned the importance of having people to help pick you back up, encourage you, and give you a swift kick when you need it!!

Replies

• dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Becky, congrats on the success you have had! You obviously know what to do, so I know you can get back to it :)

I'm Dawn. I'm a 37 year old mother to 2 young children. 2 big babies, 2 c sections, lots of stress and emotional/binge eating have had a terrible effect on my body! I need to make a change, but I seriously lack the umph to actually get done what I know that I need to do. So, I am definitely in the camp that needs a swift kick!!!! I join these groups a lot and always end up dropping out. I give you all permission to drag me back if you notice me disappearing!! Please feel free to add me as a friend!

Dawn
  • bunnyhawk
    bunnyhawk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My name is Jessica..Im a mom of 5 kids, and lost 55 pounds when i first starts mfp in late 2011 into 2012. needless to say some family issues sprung up on me in late 2012 as did my weight. At the time I shrugged it off as focusing in on the problems at hand...and emotionally needed to be on task. I finally got to that point in mid june and rejoined mfp. Starting all over again is a huge blow to my ego and esteem..but so is the feeling i have when I am out of breath sooner then I should be when hiking, or when I find a cute clothing item at goodwill but cant buy it because i would never fit into it. I live in Wisconsin near both the kettle moraine forest and lake michigan..so I have plenty of beautiful places to explore. I look forward to getting back on track..and you guys keeping me there!
  • FarmGirl69
    FarmGirl69 Posts: 211
    Options
    Hi Becky & all the others! I'm Mary and I'm a single 43 year old female in WI...I have lost a total of 30 pounds over the last 3 years and I too have hit a wall, however, I've been very active and am sure that the lack of weight loss can be contributed to building muscle.

Even tho I'm pretty much at my goal weight, I love to play cheerleader to those who need extra support, so this just might be the group for me! You are all amazing and strong and you can totally kick *kitten*...so go out there & be AWESOME!!!
  • sunseeker100
    sunseeker100 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    HI everyone my name is Karen and I'm from England. I'm 42, 5' 3" and my current weight is 158 (well it was last Friday so another weigh in tomorrow). I was once 180lbs, and then got down to 143 in April for a holiday to Florida........and enjoyed a lot of holiday food........although up to my late 20s I weighed around 100. I want to get to an ideal goal of 118 but not sure if i can ever get there, so a size 8-10 in UK clothes would be nice! I'm on track for a few days now and have been exercising, but I LOVE food and especially chocolate! I've also recently realised I'm a binger and as I'm quite heavy now I feel pretty fed up with my clothes being too tight and what I've done to myself over the last few months, so then to cheer myself up I eat. vicious circle or what??
    Lets help each other and keep ourselves on the straight and narrow :flowerforyou: feel free to add me as a friend, I'm on here every day and will chat if people want to :smile:
  • SMSutton
    SMSutton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky, Great idea! I could use a place to get and give some virtual hugs and/or kicks every now and then.

My name is Susanne. In my early 20s I found myself 75lbs overweight. I had my two beautiful babies in my early 30s. Since my first pregnancy, I've been able to sustain healthier eating habits. This has brought me to 10lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight. My youngest is a year old now. It's a constant struggle to keep up with my boys. I finally decided it was time to further improve my lifestyle and, as a bonus, get rid of the remaining 65lbs. My goal is to change my daily habits to incorporate a whole foods diet and activities (yoga, running, strength training). After a decade of dieting and always gaining back, I've decided to just take things one day at a time. As I make daily choices to eat right and get moving, I'll wake up one day with a healthy body.
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky and Everyone!! I love this idea. I can't tell you how many times I will do so good and then slowly retreat into my own personal "cave" if you will... avoiding others and eventually backsliding. Time to turn this around for good :-)

A little about me.... My name is Diane, I'm 43, living in Michigan. I joined MFP after the birth of my last son about two years ago - I was 205lbs then. I've always eaten pretty healthy, but simply... I just ate too much of it. I danced a lot growing up, was always active, but as an adult with kids and work and other responsibilities getting in the way, I put ME aside... and the result was an extra 50 or so lbs crept up on over the past 20 years. One of my biggest obstacles is that my family seems to resent me taking time away from them to exercise (yes, I get the guilt trips... the looks...). I've recently started going back to the gym though, directly after work, because that way I don't get sidetracked or distracted. I'm now 184 lbs. Over the past six months I've learned how to run, and recently have added strength training back into my routine. I'm really trying to focus on exercising and staying within my calories, but taking each day as they come.

Here's to helping each other stay on track and keeping us all motivated!! We can all do this!!
  • teresachelton99
    teresachelton99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky, and Thank you for inviting me to this support group! My Name is Teresa. I am a mother of of two grown children, a daughter thirty, and a son twenty- five.
    I have lost a hundred pounds more then once only to gain it all back. I was down to my smallest last May that I had been in many years. I had been steadily loosing for three years and on my dream trip to Hawaii , I was made fun of so much that it really took a toll on me. I was laughed at everyday and had my picture took many, many times. I was so proud of myself for loosing all the weight that I did, and did not think I looked that bad. I have a very low stomach and it is impossible to hide in anything. I have experienced cruelty, but never to this extent. I just gave up after that and started eating again. I joined myfitnesspal about three month's ago. I have not done well.
    I have had many surgeries and I have numerous health problems, recently trouble with my feet and legs which make's walking and exercising very painful. My Dr. advised me not to exercise and to elevate my feet and legs as much as possible.I go to a foot and ankle clinic soon.
    I live in a very rural area where there is nothing but mountains and trees. No stop lights and 911 is a joke. I am so isolated here and have no friends to spend time with. My children live very far away and I miss them so very much. I lost my mom in 2006 and my dad in 2010.My sister is a drug addict on the streets of Maryland. I am raising her daughter. My brother lives in La. and is very sick with a disease and he does not talk to me.I have lost so much lately and I have a very poor self-esteem.I am a binge eater, emotional eater, and at times I have even been bulimic.I had a very bad childhood , but forgave my parents long ago. I have a very strong faith in God , but need to be more obedient .I am in full menopause due to a very early hysterectomy. My emotions are every where lately, but please do not let me scare you off. I do not mean to drag you down, or freak you out and will not mention all this emotional family stuff again. I am so happy and blessed to have been invited to this group, and to have another voice, and another friend to help me with my weight loss struggles
    Feel free to add me as your friend,:smile: .
  • jsmom1965
    jsmom1965 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Becki and everyone! A little about me, I am 47 years old and a single mom of a wonderful young man who just turned 20. He moved away to college 2 yrs ago so now it's just me and Scrap, by Boston Terrier:-). I have always struggled with my weight, though looking back, i realize now that I was never as big as I perceived myself to be but after gaining nearly 60lbs during my pregnancy and only loosing half of it I spent several years about 30lbs over my ideal which wasnt great, but I was healthy. When my son was 10, I went through a verbally abusive relationship. Gained another 50 before I found my way out of the mess. After it was over, I realize now that I was harder on myself for allowing him in my life, and my son's, than he ever was. I blamed myself and went on a path of self destruction gaining another 70ish lbs. After realizing all the health issues that were beginning to manifest along with a desire to be happy again, I decided it was now or never to loose the weight. I began my journey in April 2012. I started with MFP but it took a couple months to get in the habit. By the end of May, I could tell my clothes were looser and decided to bite the bullit and step on the scales. I am not sure what my beginning weight was, but I know it wasn't pretty. but on this day the scales were about 35lbs less than they were at my last dr visit! I knew then that MFP was the way to go. As of Oct i hit 80 lbs lost! Counting calories works! I have only lost about 15lbs since and though I am thrilled with myself to be maintaining I do want to re-motivate myself and have recommited to MFP to loose my last 30 lbs hopefully by Labor Day.
  • MandyBFit
    MandyBFit Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi! I just joined the group trying to find support and motivation to achieve my goals.

I'm Mandy and a mom to two. I work full time and I'm a college student-- just started going back to school last year :) I gained a lot of weight during my 1st pregnancy and started trying to lose weight when my daughter was about 2. I never balanced working out with healthy eating until I had my son, then I finally lost 25 pounds in just a few months. But a lot of events happened to make working out and focusing on weight loss slide over to the back burner. I just joined MFP last week and am going to give it a go again, and I'm hoping this will be the final time I try to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle.
  • topskaren
    topskaren Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Karen I just joined this group 2 weeks ago I am almost at my goal weight and want to lose the rest of my weight and then keep it off so I am adding new people to my life to help me in keeping off all the weight I have lost so far thank you for all your help.I am going to help as many people as I can because that helps me to do the right thing for myself :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • theparnellslisa
    theparnellslisa Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Lisa. I am a 50 year old mom of 4 adult children, and also the wife of a wonderful man I have been married to for nearly 27 years. I have battled being over weight since having my children and joined MFP in January to do something about it. I am so motivated in this process largely due to the support, friendship and accountability I have experienced here. I have lost 30 pounds since November and still have another 43 pounds to lose. My short term goal is to lose 16 pounds by August 9th when I will be visiting my family on vacation. Other than my mom my sisters and brother have no idea what I have been up to so I really want to surprise them! I have an injury which has made this process very difficult and painful. I have a twisted spine and pelvis and three compressed discs and have been undergoing spinal decompression since February. My therapy is going well and until yesterday I was only cleared to ride my bike so I have been a crazy person racking up the miles and it has helped. When I left the dr's yesterday he said I can begin weight training and I can't be happier. I am grateful for the invitation to this group! Thank you Becky!!
  • dmdegrassi
    dmdegrassi Posts: 151
    Options
    Hi... My name is Donna, I am 55 years old, the mother of two adult daughters who live far away, married to an Italian who loves to eat for nearly 32 years, and a caregiver for my elderly mom who lives with us.

I was never overweight growing up and always very active. I used to think it was because I was active, and I know that that helped, but I now realize it was also that I had my mom's genes. So yes... I was lucky!

I started to put on weight at about age 40, but was okay with the five extra pounds be I accepted it as just getting older. However, since mom moved in I put on another 30 plus pounds and topped out at a little over 140. I know this doesn't sound like much, and many of you may scoff at this, but you need to realize that I am only 4 foot 10 inches tall, and have a very small body frame. Although the weight was "sort of" evenly distributed, I'd say most of it was in my belly, butt and upper legs. The extra weight was causing me to become winded when going up any steps, I was having extreme knee, foot, and back pain. My sleeping was disrupted and I felt like crap most of the time.

I joined MFP on January 1, joined a new gym around January 7, and have pretty much become addicted to both. I had lost 10 of the pounds prior to MFP and have lost nearly 18 more since joining. I have 7 more pounds to lose to my goal weight. My losses have been slow, but steady, and that is fine. There are times I get frustrated, more with other facets in my life than with this, but stress does affect all parts of your life, so I am attempting to keep stressors under control.

Joining MFP has opened my eyes to how difficult it can be to lose and/or maintain diet, exercise and weight. Everyone I have met on here has been AWESOME and INSPIRATIONAL. I applaud all of you for your efforts! Keep up the excellent work!