Bad Runs

Options
ttoomey27
ttoomey27 Posts: 32 Member
I had my very first "bad run" last night. So I thought I would create this thread for everyone to complain, and moan, and cry (like I felt like doing) when they experience a bad run.

I was so pumped and ready to go last night for W7D1. I don't know what happened. I started getting so winded so early. I didn't feel like it was particularly more humid than it has been, and I wasn't going any faster than normal. I go REALLY slow. By minute 12, it felt like I just could not get enough air in my lungs. I tried to focus on 3 strides in, 3 strides out, but it was no help. And soon I felt like if I didn't stop, I was going to hyperventilate. I walked for about 2 minutes then tried running again which only lasted about 3 more minutes before I decided to chalk it up as a loss and try W7D1 again tonight.
I was sooo deflated and discouraged. Especially since I'm already a week behind where I wanted to be at this point and really can't afford do-over days with my first 5k quickly approaching. I have a little wiggle room, but I really wanted to focus the couple of weeks between C25K graduation and my 5k on increasing my pace.
Ugh, oh well. Such is life, I suppose.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You will be fine for your first 5k, so don't worry about that. As a runner, you do your best to prepare but sometimes life just gives you a curve. The only thing you can do is stick to your original plan. Trying to "make up" for missed days kills your will to run and can cause injury.

Week 7 tends to be a hard week and everybody has bad runs.

Food, hydration, posture, breathing, speed, geography, (elevation, running surface) are what I look at when I feel that a run's not going right.

Other than that, I hope your next run is terrific!
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You know, this happened to me Monday. It was w7d3. I was really energized and pumped up and I just wanted to go fast. So I tried doing intervals. I started playing around with my side. I than had to go down to a crawl, and I felt the exact same way. I stopped and walked a bit until I caught my breath. And I found running again (even slow!) was hard. I tried. But couldn't, so I ran fast down one street because I was mad but I stopped. I knew I had to stop and just walk it out.

It was my first bad run since starting the program. And I got so mad. I felt like I let myself down. I was just upset. But at the same time, you know what? It was still a heck of a lot better than I was able to do before starting the program.

I decided to not redo it. Why? Because we will all have bad run days. I'm not going to let it keep me back. Tonight, I shall start week 8. And learn from my mistakes from Monday night.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had the EXACT same problem with W7D1 this week. It was definitely the worst run I'd had since starting the program, I was so surprised, since I had done the same 25-minute run for W6D3 with no particular difficulty.

Today, I had W7D2, and was a wee bit worried that I'd run out of gas again. I decided to slow down my pace a little bit, and I couldn't believe the difference - I felt FANTASTIC on today's run, and didn't swear at my running app even once! I ran maybe 200 meters less than I did on Monday, so I didn't slow down much, but it made an amazing difference. I even had enough energy to pick up my pace for the last 100 meters or so (which has NEVER happened before). For myself, I will now switch to a slower pace if I find myself struggling for breath, and will worry about improving my speed once I've mastered 30-minute runs.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I did W7D1 yesterday and had a horrible run too. I was also out of breath almost right away. I did manage to get that under control after the first couple minutes but I really had to focus on it. Nothing about the run felt good though - my legs hurt and I was tired and it felt endless. Then I didn't get the halfway point verbal cue either. I finally looked at my phone to see how close I was to halfway and saw I only had 8:30 left so the rest of it went fine.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Sometimes, a run just feels bad. I finished C25K back in early February, have continued to increase speed and distance since then, and I still sometimes want to crawl home in disgust with myself after a single mile. My biggest indicators that a run will be bad are 1) if I didn't diligently maintain my hydration for the previous 2 days (it takes my body a while to balance back out, even pushing fluids), 2) too few calories for dinner the night before, and 3) increases in the temperature (I run outside). Yesterday, my bad run was the fault of my dog, who decided that I would have to drag her. I'm trying to find zen in my running and not let myself stress out too much about the bad days -- I'm still improving every week, and an occasional bad day isn't that terrible.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I just finished W7D2 and had a much better run than W7D1. How about everyone else that posted on this thread - how was your next run?
  • johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I bonked on W8D1, and had to repeat it. I did it and W8D2 this past week, suffering from real bad PF so I have to pick the days that I can get that much running done and be able to walk a couple of hours later. I have 5k coming up in July, I really need to get through this damn program even if I have to limp through the whole thing.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I bonked on W8D1, and had to repeat it. I did it and W8D2 this past week, suffering from real bad PF so I have to pick the days that I can get that much running done and be able to walk a couple of hours later. I have 5k coming up in July, I really need to get through this damn program even if I have to limp through the whole thing.

I've had PF and know how bad it is. My best advice is to make sure you have the right shoes (that ended up being the difference for me) and the old tennis-ball-under-the-foot trick.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    W7D2 and W7D3 were great runs, and I am looking forward to W8D1.

I wonder what it is about W7D1? It makes no sense, as it's the same number of minutes as W6D3. Maybe people tend to push a bit too hard, since it's not a new challenge?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    W7D2 and W7D3 were great runs, and I am looking forward to W8D1.

I wonder what it is about W7D1? It makes no sense, as it's the same number of minutes as W6D3. Maybe people tend to push a bit too hard, since it's not a new challenge?

My program W6D3 is 22 minutes and W7D1 is 25 minutes, so there was a little bit of a bump, but I felt ready for it. And it wasn't just those last 3 minutes where I felt tired either, it was the whole dang run.
  • ttoomey27
    ttoomey27 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    W7D2 ended up going just fine. I was supposed to do W7D3 last night but due to a bit too much drinking the night before...it didn't happen. And tonight I have a date with NKOTB so me and W7D3 shall meet tomorrow.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Week 7 runs 1 and 2 sucked badly for me but, I think, 3 and all of Week 8 were amazing.