Why can't I just freaking exercise???

Options
So this is a rhetorical question kind of and a semi-rant I guess, I really don't know what this is except I felt the need to get it out. I set goals for myself all the time. Obviously we all do since we are on this site :) I very rarely stick to them which is very annoying! I am a pretty strong-willed person but when it comes to diet, exercise and smoking, I FAIL! My food intake is normally good (except for around that time of the month I've noticed) but no matter how I rationalize exercise, I can't bring myself to do it. I bought a $400 treadmill which I used for a bit but is now collecting dust and I have exercise DVDs that don't get used. The treadmill's price was supposed to be motivation enough to use it lol but it wasn't. I actually really enjoy the DVDs I have so I don't understand my brain. I always tell myself walk for 10 minutes, just 10 damn minutes to start... Nope. My DVD I really like is a 20 minute video. Just 20 minutes. Nope. I either find excuses like I need to clean the house or I'll do it later or I'm just too tired. Then tomorrow comes and the same thing over again. I don't blame it on anyone, I take full responsibility but how the hell can I kick myself in the butt?? It seems simple and it is quite logical I tell myself all the time but my body doesn't seem to want to listen and join in the fun. Ugh. Not looking for anything in particular, just needed to vent. If you made it through all this, I commend and thank you lol

Replies

• jacki_faye
    jacki_faye Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position girl. Although, my brain freaks me out by saying "if you go outside and walk for 30 minutes, imagine all the people that will stare and make fun of you" o.O I just need to get over it because at least i'm trying to do something about it.. o.O

When it comes to food.. I live with my parents, no job, no money so I have to eat what's around (which isn't horribly, but it would be nice to have complete control of what I have around the house), and when I start eating right I find myself eating more then when I'm not watching what I eat. I also have an issue with smoking, and I want to kick the habit because it's SOO humid in Iowa in the summer and it makes it hard to breathe. My biggest calorie issue though is drinking! :(

But if you're a competitive person, check out http://www.skinnyo.com/ - people create month/season/year long challenges where you see who made the most progress.. kind of kicked my butt into gear when I was trying to lose weight last time :)
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The thing that helped me the most with exercise was joining a gym I really love. I have done 10 weeks of personal training, made a lot of friends, go to the classes, and look forward to it everyday. I'm there 6 days a week now, but at the beginning I really forced myself to go 4 days a week.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Like music? Rock your favorite song for five minutes? Pick another song for five minutes? It can boost the mood, make you feel like you did something good and not be super angry at yourself. Treadmill might be easier then?
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The thing that helped me the most with exercise was joining a gym I really love. I have done 10 weeks of personal training, made a lot of friends, go to the classes, and look forward to it everyday. I'm there 6 days a week now, but at the beginning I really forced myself to go 4 days a week.

I found this really helped me too. Gyms terrified me, but I quickly lost that fear as the people there have been nothing but amazing at keeping me going, inspiring me and motivating me. Weekends are hard since they're not open in the afternoons. I can't wait till the up and coming gym comes to fruition as I'll be able to go to it on weekends.

I failed at motivating myself at home. I have a wii fit and would use it for a few days and then stop, have tried apps on my phone or other things and again stopped. It was the gym that actually got my butt moving.

If a gym membership is not possible, what about a friend or family member that you make a commitment to exercise with a few times a week? Be it going for a walk, or doing exercise dvds together? It's always more motivating and fun when you have someone you work with towards your goals.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you "have to exercise", it'll be a burden you try to get out of. But it you look at it as you "get to go for a walk in the cool of the morning to clear your head and get ready for the day" it'll become something you want to do more. I have a friend who walks in the evening and uses the time to pray and thank God for help all day long and to turn over problems they're facing so they can sleep with less stress. Again, something to look forward to.

If you can make "exercise" into an activity you "get to do for yourself" you may find yourself more motivated.

PS: For now, I'd not worry about the DVDs, wait until you feel like you WANT to do one and then do it. Save the treadmill until you WANT to walk, but not outside. As the weather gets warmer, you'll probably find yourself slowing using the treadmill more and more.

PPS: For the first couple of week, just work on the attitude. It's something you GET to do, so don't worry about logging it at first. That might bring back associations of HAVING to exercise. Once it's more of a routine, either start logging it or increase your general activity setting on MFP.
  • orygunred
    orygunred Posts: 20
    Options
    I have just finished my first week on MFP. The 1st week, I decided to only track my foods. No exercise.
    Today is the start of my 2nd week. I've done that failure thing so much, I decided to start doing just 5 minutes a day of exercise.
    Just 5 minutes! And I'm doing them lying down. Leg lifts, crunches, and light weights.
    It's not a lot. But it's such a small goal, I don't think I can fail. lol
    Maybe that will work for you too!!! Good luck!!
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    First---I want to know what DVD's you really enjoy??? I am always looking for something new.

For me, it's timing. If I do not exercise in the morning, I won't do it. It is part of my routine now. Three days a week I do DVD's or Youtube videos---Richard Simmons, Leslie Sansone Walk. or my FAVORITE----Wii's Just Dance! I have to change it up a lot or I get bored. and twice a week I do a water aerobics class----that is SO fun!

So make it part of your routine and have fun with it!
  • For_A_Better_Me
    For_A_Better_Me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP a week ago as well, and find myself in the same position. I will start out all gung-ho, and a few days later, won't do it. The weather and my asthma don't help. Having 85/90 degrees with high humidity does nothing to help your breathing. So going for walks is really hard. I have to learn to do it early in the morning before the heat of the day sets in. Any inside exercises I can do inside?
  • tokig0313
    Options
    I just started MFP a week ago as well, and find myself in the same position. I will start out all gung-ho, and a few days later, won't do it. The weather and my asthma don't help. Having 85/90 degrees with high humidity does nothing to help your breathing. So going for walks is really hard. I have to learn to do it early in the morning before the heat of the day sets in. Any inside exercises I can do inside?

On really hot days (or rainy for that mater) I tend to stick on a tv show and then walk in place or even pace the room as it plays. Means I can get a good half hour or more of exercise in as I catch up on TV. Some people use walking dvds or other things. I also will throw the wii fit on from time to time if I'm not having an outdoor or gym day.
  • For_A_Better_Me
    Options
    On really hot days (or rainy for that mater) I tend to stick on a tv show and then walk in place or even pace the room as it plays. Means I can get a good half hour or more of exercise in as I catch up on TV. Some people use walking dvds or other things. I also will throw the wii fit on from time to time if I'm not having an outdoor or gym day.
    [/quote]

Thanks! We don't have a wii fit, but the walking while watching tv is a good idea. My carpet may wear really fast though! Lol
  • For_A_Better_Me
    Options
    Sorry, tried to quote tokig0313 but it didn't work....new at all of this. Lol :huh:
  • shamilton1984
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. All of these things make sense, it's just getting my body to listen to my brain lol. I have no energy but I'm determined to make it this time! Alana, I love Core Rhythms! It is fun and the quick workout video is only 20 minutes. It's Latin dance but it's easy enough I even do it. I've tried the Dancing With The Stars video and most of that one I just stand and stare at Maks because I can't keep up (and he's yummy lol) but the Core Rhythms isn't for pros :) I also enjoy Taebo with Billy Blanks. So if you need a need one, either or both of those I recommend :) It's so sad that I enjoy these things, I just can't seem to find the drive to do them... Oy, it's a vicious cycle and I'd like to get off now lol
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I think with me, it's seriously just getting up to do it. Once I've gotten up, I do it. It's just making the decision to get up and press play. I have really been struggling to finish 30 DS (I started it once, got almost all the way through, then for some stupid reason started all over...now I'm barely halfway through and just struggling to get the motivation!), and yesterday I decided I was tired of hearing Jillian Michaels so I turned my music on really loud and just did it. It was so much more fun!

I know I'm a very musical person, so if I just turn music on eventually it gets me wanting to get up and get stuff done. Maybe just turn some music on and psych yourself out?

Another thing that may help is joining some sort of challenge here on MFP. I know it's helped me a TON to have accountability, and a group who is doing the same thing. It's rewarding to be able to get on there and say you finished that day.

I also think the beginning is the toughest, forming the habit. Once you're in the habit, you'll get addicted to that feeling you get after a great workout and you'll keep it up. You just have to get it in your system. :wink:
  • tokig0313
    Options
    I agree with Aliann30 when she says the beginning is always the hardest. A lot of people say it takes 20+ days to form habits. Some of us pick them up quicker, others it likely takes months.

I know that if I didn't get along so well with the personal trainer/nutritionist at the gym (sadly about the closest thing to a real life in flesh friend around where I live theses days), I doubt I'd have been as dedicated as I've been to my workouts.

Try your best and take it one day at a time. Aim to get some sort of exercise in each day, but don't beat yourself up if you miss a day. Simply clear the slate and start fresh the next day with aiming for your goals.
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. All of these things make sense, it's just getting my body to listen to my brain lol. I have no energy but I'm determined to make it this time! Alana, I love Core Rhythms! It is fun and the quick workout video is only 20 minutes. It's Latin dance but it's easy enough I even do it. I've tried the Dancing With The Stars video and most of that one I just stand and stare at Maks because I can't keep up (and he's yummy lol) but the Core Rhythms isn't for pros :) I also enjoy Taebo with Billy Blanks. So if you need a need one, either or both of those I recommend :) It's so sad that I enjoy these things, I just can't seem to find the drive to do them... Oy, it's a vicious cycle and I'd like to get off now lol

Oh my, you are a BEAST doing that Taebo! I can only stand that for 10 minutes! ha! I am a wimp! I will try that Core Rhythms---I like Zumba on the wii, but I gave it to my daughter,
    Thanks for the info!