Parkrun

Options
bobf279
bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
I've just found out about parkrun where 5k runs are organised on a weekly basis in a lot of local parks. My nearest is at Southwick and they have a free 5k race every Saturday morning. It might be worth a look on their web page at parkrun.org.uk, free to register and take part.

Replies

• JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! They are the most friendly, supportive events you can imagine. At my local one they have runners going from 18 minutes right up to 50 minutes on some weeks. Been to quite a few different ones and each has been welcoming and encouraging.

Your Saturday morning won't be the same once you get started ;-)
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've just found out about parkrun where 5k runs are organised on a weekly basis in a lot of local parks. My nearest is at Southwick and they have a free 5k race every Saturday morning. It might be worth a look on their web page at parkrun.org.uk, free to register and take part.

I think it's important to say it's a run and not a race, the only person you are competing against is you. But yes, they are fantastic and the level of support offered to all runners is great, last week at the one we go to a visiting running club all ran back when they finished cheering on the other runners.
  • mrsrobbo85
    mrsrobbo85 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love love love parkrun.. It's a great place to start out if new to running.. always easier to run as a crowd and as has already been said times in York tend to spread between 16 and 60 minutes.. perfect for the competitive type or a complete beginner! Get your barcode and get involved! :)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I do the one in Newcastle from time to time, they also have pacers once a month which really helps when aiming for PBs
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Loving the idea of pacers at parkrun, I wish mine had some.

I've been twice now, once alone and one with the boyfriend and dog and loved both. There's also some lovely pictures of us running this week which photographers are happy for me to use for free!

I'm currently just using it to track progress when coming back from a knee operation
  • Lucille51
    Lucille51 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've run the Cambridge parkrun a few times and one in Southapmton, they are a fab idea and people are always really friendly...can't run at the moment due to an achilles injury :-(