Paleo for Athletes

Options
TriLifter
TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
Is anyone here following Paleo for Athletes?

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/quick-guide-the-paleo-diet-for-athletes.aspx

Quick summation, macros set to 30-60% carbs, 20-30% fat, and 20-25% protein. It's for endurance athletes.

I'm a runner (currently training for a marathon), and want to do an Ironman, etc. I've been able to up my carbs to 35% and lover fat and protein to 45 and 20% respectively, but I don't know how to further lower fat and raise my carbs! FTR, I eat 2300 cals/day (my TDEE is between 23-2400 calories).

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I haven't been following it, but I probably should be ... I'm also a marathoner and about to start another round of marathon training. How's it working for you so far? ... Sending you a friend request.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ooop, nevermind. Saw you don't want friends :/
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Ooop, nevermind. Saw you don't want friends :/

Please do send a request!!!!
  • snowbelle1017
    Options
    It depends on where you are getting your fats from as to how to lower that more. To increase carbs, eat more fruits and sweet potatoes.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I used run trail ultras and followed the Paleo for Athletes plan. It worked great. When my carbs dropped down to 20-30% I started feeling pretty crummy and keeping them about 30% seemed key for good recovery. It's based on good science but as always, every body is different so see how it feels.

As an aside, as a woman, it's important not to let your carbs/calories drop too low when being very active to avoid hypothamatic amenhorrhea and sub-clinical hypothyroid. Sounds like you've got the calorie intake covered and are doing a great job. Keep it up!
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm not exactly a marathon runner! But I do like to run and do a few longish runs each week and weight train 5 days a week and do pilates on my rest day. I did a 7k obstacle (mud) course yesterday. I'm building up to do a 10k run weekly with a few shorter runs.

I am not strict but in general do my best to stick to primal guidelines. I haven't found eating primal a problem for my running, I usually eat quite a bit of sweet potatoes the evening before a longer run and a large banana an hour or so before I run. I tend to feel pukey if I eat much more than that! I don't run long enough yet to need refuelling so I'm no help there.

I was going to send you a friend request previously (I've seen a few of your recent posts) but saw also that you didn't want them. Feel free to add me if you like, it would be great to have another friend on here with similar goals :)
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    By the way - I think I currently have my macros set at 30/30/40 Carbs/Fat/Protein as that seems to work pretty well for me
  • iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This book was suggested to me by a couple of you on this topic yesterday! Going to give it a try! Please add me as a fellow paleo/primal person and marathoner-wannabe!