spinal fusion

Options
Has anyone here had or know of anyone who has had spinal fusion? I am facing that and would really love some words from those who have had it done. Thanks

Replies

• MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I had my spine fused with harrington rods at age 16. They fused me from T3 to L1, and used a bone graft from my hip. I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I feared. I came off of pain pills within a week after surgery, and went back to school about 2.5 weeks after surgery with just some minor limitations. My incisions healed nicely and I haven't had any issues since! :)
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I had my spine fused with harrington rods at age 16. They fused me from T3 to L1, and used a bone graft from my hip. I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I feared. I came off of pain pills within a week after surgery, and went back to school about 2.5 weeks after surgery with just some minor limitations. My incisions healed nicely and I haven't had any issues since! :)

MandaJean, thank you so much for this post. I am most likely going to have a fusion in the month or so and really need encouragement. Hope you are still doing good now.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also had a spinal fusion w/harrington rods (and they did the hip graft on me as well!). The fusion goes from the top of my back to right at the bottom, but not so low that I can't bend down and touch my toes (its 13 inches total).

Do what you can to listen to doctors orders and you should be healed in no time. For me, I was restricted from contact sports for a year, however after a month I was allowed to go bike riding then slowly I could do light impact (i.e. jogging, tennis).

I know you may be tempted to just get up and GO GO GO but please, try to get rest so your body will heal properly. Take the full recovery time the doctor recommends (unless he see's you are doing well and then of course decreases the time)... try not to forget this is a very invasive and major surgery.. so your body is really going to need time to heal and recoup. I was amazed at how tired I would get from just trying to get up and walk around the grocery store within the 2nd week (I think we took a 30 minute trip to the store... I was OUT as soon as I got back in the car).

How much of your back will be fused? Why is it being fused? (I'm just assuming scolios curvature?) Feel free to message me if you would like. :)
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I agree. Follow doctor's orders about your activity. I pushed the limits, and I luckily was fine, but I've learned that you can do serious damage to the healing process if you get too brave.

If I could give you one piece of advice, and I know this is disgusting, but take a STOOL SOFTENER AND LAXATIVE. I was on a morphine pump for a few days after my surgery, and then went home on percocet. I didn't take anything, and i went 10 DAYS without a bowel movement. YIKES. I had a lot of pain and discomfort for several days before i was able to go, and it was painful getting on and off the toilet and straining to go. :-P

Sorry if that's TMI...but that was the WORST part of my recovery.
  • remyjw
    remyjw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a spinal fusion as well, and I can honestly say that it was the best decision i couldv'e made. I took longer in my recovery however, as I got an infection (which is pretty uncommon, especially with the doctor I had). But other than that it really doesn't limit me as much as I thought it would.

Just listen to the doctor and make sure you take it slow, don't push yourself too hard to get back into a normal routine.

I had my surgery done a year and a half ago, and i'm only trying now to get myself back into being really physically active(although i wasn't extremely active right before the surgery). My doctor restricted me from bike riding and no impact sports for a year after, although he said swimming was fine after 6 months or so, and I don't think i'm allowed to do contact sports for another half of a year (I go back for a check up in november).

You can add me as a friend or private message me if you have any questions :)
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    Thank you for the words on the spinal fusion. I am deciding to have it due to the discs slipping over one another and I just am sick of the pain in my leg. I have had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that my spine can cause so much leg pain, but as my DO told me yesterday, when I stand up, I also put weight on the spine, Duh. lol I am not doing anything about the scoliosis for now. I am just hoping to lessen the leg pain even 70% would be nice.

Thank you again for the words of encouragement.

Oh and if you did not look at my profile, I am 62 years old.
  • AudreyRenee19
    AudreyRenee19 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just had the surgery done on April 11th. I'm 23 years old and was having nerve pain down my leg and terrible back pain. Also, my curvature was still getting worse. I already have so much less pain than I had before the surgery. I'll be at 11 weeks post-op on Thursday, and am starting to feel back to normal. I didn't lose as much flexibility as I thought I was going to. I am fused from T3 to L3. I am so glad I finally had the surgery done. If you have any questions about it, feel free to message me.
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    I just had the surgery done on April 11th. I'm 23 years old and was having nerve pain down my leg and terrible back pain. Also, my curvature was still getting worse. I already have so much less pain than I had before the surgery. I'll be at 11 weeks post-op on Thursday, and am starting to feel back to normal. I didn't lose as much flexibility as I thought I was going to. I am fused from T3 to L3. I am so glad I finally had the surgery done. If you have any questions about it, feel free to message me.

Thank you so much for posting. I am now waiting referral to the University Hospital, see a Doc there and if he agrees with my Neurosurgeon here in my town, then I am going to do it. I am sick of this leg pain and as the Doc said on Wed when I saw him, he asked how old I was, I said 62 and he said, you are still young enough to have it done.

I thank you all for your words of encouragement.

Marjie
  • cheryldelling
    Options
    I had my spine fused from T2 through L4 28 years ago for scoliosis. I grew two inches on the operating table. I am now waiting to extend the fusion down to S2 in order to resolve severe back pain that travels up into my lungs and down my right leg. My lower back has "worn out" because of over use the past 28 years. There are things I know now that I wish I knew then. Make sure you have a strong core and that you are in the best shape you can be, it will help you recover faster. If you don't already have one, find a physiotherapist you like and trust NOW. When my pain started I went to see 3 different therapists until I found one that I like. Don't wait until after surgery. You will do better if there is already trust between you. Best of luck!
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I am glad to hear some GOOD testimonials about the surgery because so far I've been finding bad ones online. I am 24 and my S-curve has been measured anywhere between 12-28 degrees but boy, can it pack an intense ache & make me avoid going to certain places! Or pay for it within 2hrs of sitting on a bad chair. It is still moving as well. The angles seem to be smoothening out but my vertebrae look more bunched up now :s

I had so much pain the last couple months (From sitting in a desk/chair all day at school) that I was considering the surgery. A youtube video of the procedure scared me off & doctors basically told me I will only get the surgery when I'm a hunchback and my organs are being affected :/
  • bsm70985
    Options
    So neat to hear stories from people who went through the same thing as me!!

I had Harrington rod surgery when I was 15. They did the bone graft from my ribs rather than my hips. I had three really bad curves. My rib cage was resting on my hips and I only had 50% lung capacity because everything was so squished together. I was suffering constantly from pain and carried a heating pad and pillow with me everywhere.

Having the surgery was the best thing I could have ever done. I wore a brace for almost two years, but it never helped. Dr. Anthony Stans at the Mayo Clinic in MN did my surgery. I grew 6 inches overnight. I was in the hospital for two weeks, and pretty much down for about four to six more weeks.

Once I healed from the surgery, I never had one single little problem. I feel great. I don't have any back pain now. I don't feel stiff or like I'm laying on a board. It really did save me. I had some patches of strange feeling skin for a while. Like I'd lost a little bit of feeling in a patch on one of my thighs and the mid part of my back. It's come back over time though. The only issue now is that the rib area where they cut out my ribs for the bone graft is a little more sensitive if someone grabs me. Very tiny price to pay for a pain free life being able to do anything and everything I want to do.
  • mrepetta
    Options
    I have recently had a spinal fusion from T-2 to the sacrum. It was done in two stages, May 17 and May 22, 2012. My thoracic curve was 75 degrees and my lumbar was 45 degrees. My curves are now T-27 and L-28. I had mine done by Dr. Nathan Lebwohl in Miami, FL.. I am very pleased with the results of my surgery. Dr. Lebwohl is a very gifted surgeon. Check out my website at http://www.scoliosisinbrevard.com. Feel free to email me if you have questions or just want support as you go through the decision making. I've been there and I know it is not an easy decision.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

This is my EXACT same experience. Feel free to message if you have questions. I know that strength training has helped me tremendously, just because my body is already somewhat strained. Give it the muscles it needs!

I have 90% less pain than before, and I feel zero physical limitations. You will get through this and have a much more enjoyable life afterwards!
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    I have recently had a spinal fusion from T-2 to the sacrum. It was done in two stages, May 17 and May 22, 2012. My thoracic curve was 75 degrees and my lumbar was 45 degrees. My curves are now T-27 and L-28. I had mine done by Dr. Nathan Lebwohl in Miami, FL.. I am very pleased with the results of my surgery. Dr. Lebwohl is a very gifted surgeon. Check out my website at http://www.scoliosisinbrevard.com. Feel free to email me if you have questions or just want support as you go through the decision making. I've been there and I know it is not an easy decision.

Thank you so much for sharing your story on the link you provided. Mine is not quite as bad as yours, but surgery has been mentioned to me, so it is good to read a success story that is recent. I hope you are still doing well.