Shrinking Violets

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Did well yesterday, 119.5 today. Struggling with being hungry today, I'm off work so I'm trying to get some exercise in.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Great work Willow and RT!
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am joining your team!
    My name is Debbie; CW 285; goal for this challenge is 20lbs; so 265.

I'm 43.
  • akenesson
    akenesson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My embarrassing apologies, but dnunny's actually being placed on Team 2... Entirely my fault, typos and miscommunications and such!

You all don't need any more help LOL!!! A full team, with good communication, and decent successes so far... Keep it up!
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Those typo's can be a killer can't they!

I recently made one in a post code (Uk zip code) when emailing an external trainer the address of the training venue - sent him 25miles off in the wrong direction by missing the 5 and putting a 6 in the middle of the post code! Thankfully he was cool about it and we had a laugh after the training was over.

Welcome to the challenge Debbie, I hope you do well.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Good luck DNunny!

I went over calories yesterday, but while I wish I hadn't, it was because I was truly hungry, not craving stuff. 120.4 this morning.
  • Willow_Raine
    Willow_Raine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The last few days have been crazy, babysitting grandkids, dog sitting a sick dog, shopping, eating out, nursing swollen feet and achy hips, and just doing other things that aren't a typical part of my day. I started keeping a blog and am using it to examine my relationship to food. So many triggers, so many theories about why I overeat, and infinite possibilities for moving past what is probably an addiction to food. It isn't JUST a weight issue. It seems like every time I get rid of a good chunk of excess baggage, another bag shows up waiting to be unpacked. :huh: I am determined to get it all in a fanny pack one day. lol

I'm disappointed in myself, and I hope that I don't let the team down at weigh in.
  • RTDice
    Options
    Hey Willow.

Firstly *hug* you sound like you needed one.

We all have weeks which throw us off a bit - I've been really low this week and I couldn't tell you why. It's not the being knocked down that counts, it is how you get up and move on. Seems like you have done a good job at that.

I'm sure come Monday's weigh in it won't be that bad, and if it is well it's Monday and the start of a fresh week in which you can dig in and start to make it back.

BTW - I've been trying that 'Drink more water' app you mentioned. I can't believe how much it wants me to drink!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Hey Willow. Awareness is key. You've got that.

You won't let us down at weigh in. Maybe if we had $250,000 on the line, it would be more important, but the teams are for support. There's not much competition aspect in this IMO. It's much more a challenge. You won't let us down. You really can't. The only way you could let down the team is to stop participating without word. That's really about it.
  • RTDice
    Options
    Well put FlaxMilk, well put.
  • Willow_Raine
    Options
    You guys are great. Really! Thank you!!!

It's tough. I grew up in a family where the food budget was almost non-existent. Our teeth and health suffered due to lack of milk and fruits. When we were old enough, my two brothers and I would earn money doing chores for neighbors in order to buy groceries. We were also encouraged to spend nights/weekends with friends where we would be fed. It's no wonder that food became a security blanket for all three of us. I understand it, but letting go of it is another matter.

Losing weight would be so much easier if it wasn't necessary for our survival. I quit smoking almost 10 years ago, and that was easy compared to this. With smoking, it's all or none; you either smoke, or you don't. It doesn't work that way with food. Moderation is essential, along with good food choices. That's where I struggle. I can't just quit eating. LOL

RTDice, YES, that is a lot of water!!! Although I did find that I felt better when I was on top of it. I let it slide for a few days this week, but I'm back at it again. :drinker:

Great advice FlaxMilk. Thank you!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Sounds really tough, Willow. I'm going to suggest you try loving compassion mindfulness with yourself. It is what it is. We found a kitty who was nearly starved to death. For years, she compulsively overate and sought food. We did our best to keep her weight under control, but with multiple cats, she often found ways to eat more than her share. She got pretty big for awhile. After several years, her weight began to normalize and we realized that she wasn't overeating or desperately pleading for food all the time. My theory: cats don't judge themselves. Her biological imperative was: near death once, get while the getting is good now, never be that way again. She ate and ate until she gradually rerouted herself to realize she doesn't need to. She trusts that she will be taken care of.

Obviously as a human you are capable of more insight, but that doesn't mean the insight has to be judging. Instead of thinking, "I've got to let go of this etc" try, "I know why my body and brain responds the way they do. I didn't have what my body needed when it was young. I have what I need now. I will take care of my body by giving it what it needs, no more and no less. I will be compassionate with myself when my body tries to panic and gentle with myself if I take in more than I need. I'm not hurting anyone. I'm not bad. My body is not bad. If I am good to my body and mind, my body and mind will be good to me."

Pema Chodron is a fantastic author on the topic of loving kindness to one's self. She really helps to understand the difference between indulgence and kindness.
  • Willow_Raine
    Options
    FlaxMilk, I will look up that author. It sounds like what I need. Retraining our brains is quite a process, but I know it can be done. I've been working hard at changing my 'mindset of poverty'. I used to get really upset when the last of anything got used up and I didn't have a replacement on hand.... be it toothpaste, shampoo, cereal, etc. I had to adopt the mantras of "I will always be able to buy more" and "There is more at the store." Still working on it, but for the most part it is ingrained now. With all things, it takes time, and tools. Thanks to you, I just got another one.
  • terrimccrery
    terrimccrery Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi All!!

A small loss this week which I will take. I'm not tracking for some reason. Not making real bad choices but I wonder if I really tracked, would I be over KWIM?

Good luck everyone!!!!!
  • Willow_Raine
    Options
    I suspected I would gain this week, and I did. I'm still down 3 pounds from my starting weight though, so that's a plus! So far it looks like everyone is doing really well. YAY Team!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    .5 loss for me. To be honest, the only way I'll ever get 2 lbs a week is some water weight fluke, so I'm content if the scale just keeps on the decline.

3 lbs down is awesome! Good work everyone!
  • RTDice
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to see how everyone's week is going. Hope you are all doing ok.

Cheers,
    Graham.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Well, team, I don't know the mechanism by which Prednisone causes weight gain, but I'm here to say, IT DOES. I'm hoping it's water weight, but I've gained a crazy amount of weight this week. Tomorrow's weigh-in should be ridiculously bad unless I lose about 9 lbs of water weight today. Seriously.
  • varuca1
    varuca1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hear ya FlaxMilk. I was recently put on Prednisone and have gained at least 3 lbs so far :(
  • Willow_Raine
    Options
    Yes, Prednisone will definitely cause weight gain. I'm not sure why. It also has other side effects that are not so much fun.

After researching one of my meds, I discovered my antidepressant can cause cravings for sweets. =(