Diabetes Denial

Options
Hi Everyone!

I was diagnosed with Diabetes about a year ago...after being warned that I had pre-diabetic numbers for about two years. Something in me just did not want to take it seriously...I was in denial and I still am. My doctor, whom I love, told me that she believed mine was reversible but I had to do the hard work of controlling my diet. I have done that for a while, and then when I have one cheat day, it turns into 2 and then 10 and then, well cheating is the way of life because I absolutely LOVE sweets. I would rather eat dessert that the entree. But, the other part is that I really have to see this eating etc. as a lifestyle change for me. I must change my mind to change my life and control the diabetes before it starts to control me!!!!

Has anyone had diabetes denial and do you have tips or strategies that would help me with embracing this diet change as a lifestyle?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    No you are not alone.

I too was warned and blew it off and continued to eat...and eat....no one was telling me what to do.
    Then came May 2012....no more PRE ....no more warnings to lose weight or else...
    ELSE had come.....:sad:

So I found my mindset. ' I'll show her' is what I was thinking, I'll show her I can beat this diagnosis (and the extra cholesterol & hypertensive meds I take). So I get the script for MetFormin and the meter/strips and in June I find MFP.

My A1C was 6.9 at diagnosis. This month it is 5.7.

I wish I had some tips for you. It's not easy to change your lifestyle. Get your mindset in the right place. If you go over on a meal, don't let it de rail you...get right back on track. Every day it's a challenge for me, it is SO easy to go back to the old way of eating. I use MFP religiously. I log daily (I pre log my food in advance since if you know where you are cal/carb/sugar/fat/sodium wise it's easier to stay on track or at least have an idea where you are and what you have left to eat).

Get a few good buds also battling DM, try to find folks who have their diaries open to see what they're eating, give you ideas on what you can eat. Take things one day, one pound at a time. It is do able, but only you can motivate yourself. Wishing you all the best on this journey.
  • pnuthaymama
    Options
    Being in "denial" only hurts you. I've had diabetes for somewhere around 10 years and have tried EVERY DIET KNOWN TO MAN! For me, the only thing that works to control my blood glucose levels is eating low carb. After just a few days, if you're doing it right, you do not crave sweets (at least I didn't). Some people can eat quite a bit of fruit on whatever diet plan they're using. I can't. Fruit to me is just like eating a brownie with ice cream.

If you've been told that you can reverse your diabetes by controlling your diet then PLEASE, PLEASE do yourself a favor and do it. Cheat days do not work for a diabetic because eating the wrong food will always show up in higher blood glucose counts. You can't hide from that. If part of your "hiding" routine is not checking your blood a couple of hours after eating each meal to see how what you're eating is raising your blood sugar, then you will ultimately hurt your body with your way of eating.

This web site will help you if you really want it to. Log EVERYTHING that passes your lips and check you blood sugar. Good Luck.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    DENIAL. I WAS THE QUEEN OF DE-NIAL! I pretty much ignored the doctor after having gestational diabetes thru 2 pregnancies. I was on insulin shots for the second one..... After childbirth, the endocronologist informed me that I could eliminate the 50/50 chance that I would have diabetes if I would just drop all the extra weight. Did I listen at 35? Heck no. Then at 45 I was (oh, let's be surprised) given the diagnosis.....true blown DIABETES (weighing 220). Didi I listen at 45? Hell no. I just pretended no one told me I had diabetes. I continued to eat any dang thing I wanted and took my metformin. Did I check my sugars? Hell no. Did I even try? Hell no. I was a FOOL. Today, I pray that the damage I did for a decade will not burden my children as I age. Today, I am doing everything I can to drop ALLLLLL the extra weight and lower my meds. Today, I pray.

Do NOT BE ME. You are YOUNG! and it is SOOOOOO much easier to lose when you are younger. It ain't easy over 30, but it is a DANG LOT BETTER THAN OVER 50. Please do not WASTE DECADES being overweight and out of control. I would do anything to get time back because losing is NOT THAT HARD. It ain't easy, but it CAN BE DONE. I am so ashamed I waited until I was 57 years old to really really really TRY.

Look into low carb high fat. It may not be for you. But I have tried EVERYTHING. I am the happiest with this choice. There are a million recipes for bread, pancakes, muffins, cake! They take a little effort, but NOT that much. I am so content drizzling real butter over my veges. I am so happy eating my 1 carb flax pancakes with sugar free syrup. I am thrilled with the easy OOPSIE bread (awesome as a burger bun, awesome as sandwich bread, awesome as french toast). Sitting down to scrambled eggs and pancakes is the best diet I have done! Do your research and see what your options are. All I know is low carb is pretty important for diabetics. and Low carb, high Fat is perfect.

I just got the call today from my latest blood work. iN jANUARY, My A1c was 6.2 (due to low carb, higher protein) but my cholestrol was at 201 (they want us under 200). Today, the A1c was 6.0 and my cholestrol was 162. I only changed my diet to low carb, high fat less than 2 months ago. WOOHOOOO. So thrilled about the cholestrol. I WILL get my A1c under 6.0. I'm gunning for 5.5.

DO NOT BE THE OLD ME. Be the NEW ME. You are YOUNG and you CAN DO THIS~ Drop the weight, drop the crap attitude, and PLEASE don't ignore this diagnosis.

I actually had to put signs in the kitchen that said "YOU WILL DIE" "DIABETES KILLS" "YOU WILL LOSE YOUR LEGS" "YOU WILL BE BLIND". This is what it took for me to recognize the fool I was. Friend me if you want support. Take control. only YOU CAN DO IT FOR YOURSELF. good luck.
    e
  • DrDivaLove
    Options
    airangel59....WOWWW! Congrats to you for losing 88 lbs! What an accomplishment!

Thanks for your honesty and what you have said is very true...I have to be my motivation!

I need to be motivated enough to be consistent with the lifestyle change...tracking, eating, and reaching out to people who are doing the same types of things that I am or need to! I guess it comes down to making a clear DECISION to live healthy and to continue to do it day in and day out!
  • DrDivaLove
    Options
    pnuthaymama- Thank you for your advice. I tried South Beach Phase 1 and 2 for the first 3 months in this year and I had phenomenal results with my lab work...my cholesterol, A1C and other numbers were great when I went back to the doctor for my 3 month screening...I even lost 21 lbs...and then my Birthday happened in April and I felt entitled to have cake, cake, more cake then french fries and anything else I wanted....this has been going on since. In addition, I hate eating the 5-6 times a day that I need to in order to keep my metabolism revved and my sugar levels under control so when I fell off the wagon, I fell hard and never got back on, until today!

You bring up a very good point and I appreciate the advice about checking my gluclose levels regularly too..which I have not done...I think that is a part of the hiding and denial...but that has to change.

Thanks so much for the advice.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I was ever in Denial that I had diabetes. I suppose I probably was though. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at the young age of 21, just shy of 22 years old. That's over 8 years now! Wow!

Anyway, when I was first diagnosed, I went on Metformin. I tried at first to watch my carbs and eat healthier and checked my blood sugars every day. I continued going to the doctor when I was suppose to and had new medications added to help keep my sugars down. I can't even remember what they were now. I think my first A1C was in the 8.0 - 9.0. The medications helped get my numbers lower, but they weren't great. I continued to eat what I wanted, but tried not to have too many sweets. I also steadily gained weight even on meds that were "suppose" to help with weight loss.

It wasn't until I was 25 and met my husband that I started worrying about my A1C levels. We had been dating for awhile and got engaged. While we were doing wedding planning, I started thinking about what I needed to do in order to have a healthy pregnancy should I get pregnant. So I talked to my doctor. He told me that he didn't want me to get pregnant until I got my A1C down to at least 7.5. I also knew that the oral diabetic medications I was on weren't good for a pregnancy and went on insulin. That was my choice, not my doctor's. I think I was 26 at this point.

Anyway, I was able to get my A1C down to where it needed to be and was given the go ahead to try and get pregnant. I hadn't lost any weight though. I stayed roughly the same. Even though it would be ok for me to get pregnant, I never did. Most likely fertility issues on both sides. :frown:

I was married when I was 27. I continued to take insulin, and since I did take insulin and my numbers continued to be great, I just ate whatever I wanted to and went with it. I wasn't experiencing any complications from Diabetes. I was happy with my blood sugars even though I had to take a lot of insulin. What I wasn't happy with was my weight. I thought that I wouldn't be able to lose weight without some kind of miracle drug, which my doctors would never prescribe for me even though they wanted me to lose weight. :huh:

The doctor I had before my current doctor decided to put me back on Metformin to see if I would lose weight with that even though I had gained weight when I took it before. (Most likely my own fault and not the drug). I did not lose weight, but I didn't really gain weight either.

It wasn't until February 24, 2013 that I decided to get serious about losing weight. My sister-in-law had me go to Zumba with her. I had a blast! After the class, I asked her what she was using to log her food, and she told me about MFP. Since joining on that day, I have made a lot of positive changes in my life. I've been able to lose 34 pounds, started at 80 units of Lantus at night and 15 units of humalog before all meals, and now I'm down to 35 units of Lantus at night and 5 units of humalog before meals if needed based on what I eat. My doctor is very confident that I will be able to get off the insulin since I have become very active and have lost a lot of weight so far. I continue to work on it too.

My diary is open to friends, so I'm going to be sending you a friend request. I've been trying to get more protein into my diet to help with the weight loss and try to be careful about my carbs, but even with as many carbs as I do get in a day, my numbers are still really good. Everyone is different though. I still have the sweets, but not as many of them and work on getting them to fit in my calories. I check my blood sugar at least 3 times a day before meals to determine if I need to take humalog, once in awhile 2 hours after a meal or if I'm not feeling well. My A1C was 6.0 in March, and now it is 5.4 with the changes I have made to my lifestyle. I try to get in more fruits and vegetables as well.
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I make fat bombs with coconut oil, nuts, lemon, cream cheese, cocoa, unsweetened chocolate, nut butters, stevia (if it needs it) and occasionally a couple raisins. Here's where I found out about them. The only thing different I do is put them in paper candy cups. Quick, easy and they've really helped me stay on track.

http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/fat-bombs.html

Today is a new day!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Cake is over rated.

@celeste Those fat bombs look good. Bookmarked.
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @ Big Guy: please check out the benefits for diabetics on these babies!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think almost all of us go through the stage of denial. It happens. What woke me up was when it effected my eye site (dropped my sugar too fast) and that told me what it would be like to not controll this disease and be blind like that the rest of my life. Luckily mine was temporary. It was a shocker to not be able to see but shadows, blur, but it did wake me up to keep it in check now.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was pre diabetic for a while as well, possibly a year. I also ignored the warnings. If anything, I ate worse because I was stuck working from home for 6 months.

My wake up call was my mother ending up in the hospital with serious diabetes complications in December. Her kidneys were failing, her lungs were full of fluid, and we weren't sure if she would make it. I went to my doctor and sure enough I was no longer pre, but full on diabetic. I was lucky in that I caught it in time with numbers that were not so far out of control. (7.2 A1c and FBG of 126.)

My mother like you, doesn't take care of herself and didn't lose any weight. Because of this, she has ended up in the hospital 3 more times with similar complications. She now has heart problems as well. Without medication, her sugar is in the 300-400 range. There were times it was so high the meter wouldn't even give a number, meaning it was over 700.

My main reason for getting healthy is to not end up like my mother. I have a terrible sweet tooth, but I am overcoming it. I aim for better blood work more than a better body. And once you decide to eat healthier, you will be shocked at how your body reacts when you do go off track. Many people on here report when they have an off day they can feel the difference. Fatigue, bloating, general feeling of yuckiness. I noticed now the minute I have anything with more than 10g of sugar in it, I'm in horrible pain due to diabetic neuropathy.

Don't look at this as a diet. Diet is a 4 letter word, which is why it sucks. Make baby steps in your lifestyle changes. It's all about making switches in food and eating in moderation. For instance, you can still have chocolate, but eat only the recommended serving, or make sure it's over 75% cocoa.

People on here are full of information, and know that you're not alone. We've all been there in denial and know it's tough giving up your favorite foods. (It's not just sweets either, it's also carbs which is in almost everything).

Good luck in your journey to better blood results and weight loss!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My mother passed away on Mother's Day and had diabetes. I don't know if she was in denial or just gave up. She had so many complications and took over 13 medications a day (some pills were more than once a day). Don't be in denial. My mom was only 66 when she died. I think if her fasting bs was at 350 and she was in control she would still be with us today.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    One that has helped me (and I still have to think about a lot) is all of the foods I CAN eat and not the ones I can't. Also with the few sweets I do enjoy I have decided that since they are so few and far between I won't waste them on mediocre treats - it has to be GOOD - like a fancy cupcake from the bakery by my work. This has saved me because it's really not open that often - and it is a little more expensive - so once in awhile I have a sweet tooth and it will be closed... or my stomach willpower fails me but my wallet willpower stops me.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    DrDivaLove,

You are a beautiful girl. Don't let diabetes destroy you little by little. It will take you organ by organ, body part by body part. You have the power to stop it.

I understand denial. I was diagnosed 9 years ago. That first year I lost 70 pounds and got it under control. Then I started to cheat just a little bit, then a little bit more and then I was in full blown denial. I gained back every bit of that 70 pounds and an A1c of 8.6. That was just over a year ago.

May of 2012, vaginal infections and an infected, ruptured tooth brought me back to reality. Yes, those are part of diabetes. I got back on a super low carb diet. (Ketogenic). By August, my A1c was 6.5, November - 5.7 and, now, my last A1c was 5.3.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing I did to accomplish that control was to test, test, test my blood. I check my blood glucose every morning and 2 hours after every meal. I don't care that it is always in a good range. I test anyway... constantly. My BG meter keeps me accountable for what I put in my mouth because I know that 2 hours later my meter is going to tell me the TRUTH. My meter doesn't let me go back into denial. It never says, "Oh, dear, a little bit won't hurt." It shows me just what a little bit does.

My A1c tells me that I'm in control. My weight loss tells me that I'm doing great. But, my meter tells me that I'm STILL A DIABETIC when I eat what I should not eat.

Yesterday I had a small piece of cake for the first time in over a year. It was at my nephew's wedding reception. I knew my meter would yell at me. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. But, it was high enough that I won't have another piece of cake any time soon.

So, test, test, test. Keep your BG numbers low. Work to keep those number around 100 or less. Never go over 140. Keep your toes, teeth, kidneys, heart, and brain.

Stay as beautiful as you are.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    My A1c tells me that I'm in control. My weight loss tells me that I'm doing great. But, my meter tells me that I'm STILL A DIABETIC when I eat what I should not eat.

So, test, test, test. Keep your BG numbers low. Work to keep those number around 100 or less. Never go over 140. Keep your toes, teeth, kidneys, heart, and brain.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Like so many of the others, I too was in denial. For nearly 8 years! The doctor started by putting me on Metformin, but I really didn't control my eating. So, the doctor put me on Insulin. The amount of insulin I took was increased every time I went to the doctor. My doctor kept telling me that if I lost the weight and started to exercise I would eventually be able to decrease the amount of insulin I took. But I wouldn't listen. I WANTED the cake/cookie/candy bar. I mean, seriously, I could take a bit more insulin and still enjoy that cake/cookie/candy bar.

As of 1/3/13, I have been working harder to turn it around. I have dropped 31 lbs and brought my A1C from 8.3 down to 6.0. I still enjoy sweets, because I like to live, but I also enjoy riding my bike, going to the gym and being active in so many ways. You can do this!!! You just have to dig down deep and find your motivation. We can give you 100 examples of why you should start, but we are not there when you are tempted by the candy or the cake or the cookies. It won't be easy and you will make mistakes. Let's face it, we are all human! We are flawed. But every day you wake up you should start by giving thanks for being on this earth and make every effort to get healthier. Eventually, your health will become the priorty and will become a habit.

I wish you all the best. Send me a friend request, if you'd like.

Nancy
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It took me years before I really started taking it seriously-- when it hit me that I will not be around for my kids or grandkids or be able to walk and play with them if I didn't get things under control. Once I started working out, I stopped craving so many sweets. You need to take it seriously- don't let your body deteriorate because of a love for sweets-- have them occasionally but not every day. My new thing is strawberries with chocolate flavored basalmic vinegar-- it tastes like choc so it fools my mind into thinking I am being naughty when I am not.