Modifying moves for a bad knee.

Options
So I'm starting *again* back at phase 1 week 1, workout 1 as of yesterday. My knee swelled up after all the squats and lunges and twisty moves and my Dr. tells me I have kneecap arthritis and patellar tracking disorder.

He gave me a brace and a list of Physical Therapy exercises, so I'm starting again now from the beginning, with the brace and substituting PT exercises for squats and lunges and substituting moves I can do for the ones I can't in general.

Guessing theres not going to be a lot of folks modifying Jillian's workouts for their own purposes along with me, but its worth a post in case I could collect a workout buddy or two :)

Its sort of annoying when shes telling me not to sell myself short because I can do it, because last time I listened to her, I ended up at the doctor! Trying to enjoy her spirit but not do as she says!

I know if she was actually in my living room she'd find a way to modify the workout so it doesn't hurt me. Sure she would.

Replies

• yaybazinga
    yaybazinga Posts: 54
    Options
    I have knee problems as well :( it's really annoying and I know what you mean about feeling like you're selling yourself short! It's still possible to do this programme though with a few modifications! I avoid plyometrics and jumping, even the simpler ones like jumping jacks, high knees and butt kicks. I have an exercise bike at home and usually just hop on it if the cardio interval involves jumping! gets my heartrate up as well :)

In phase 1 and 2 I did lunges but it did take a toll on my knee and now I avoid them and do squats instead. I can do burpees but instead of jumping up I just stand up straight with my hands up ;)

it is frustrating not being able to do some of the moves, but at the end of the day it's not worth it to damage your knees in the process! the main purpose of the jumps is to get your heartrate up but you can do that with heavier weights or other exercises too. I guess I could have better results with my lower body but unfortunately I'm pear shaped and the fat there is last to go anyway! :ohwell: