Crossfit - Scared Newbie

Options

Replies

• janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    So I'm back from my first official crossfit and I loved it though honestly showed me that I'm not as fit as I thought! I'm training for tough mudder at end August so this is going to be great training or it.
    Thanks to you all who supported me & gave me the confidence to turn up for it :smile:

Since you have decided to do Crossfit, I hope you ALWAYS listen to your body, and not the team or the screaming coach or the ticking clock. Because listening to any one of those over your own body is a sure way to get injured.

And after a few workouts. if you find that Crossfit is too extreme for your needs, or you find you really don't enjoy being so sore you can barely move for days after a workout, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with leaving the Crossfit box and checking out other fitness programs in your area. Trying a few classes of any activity is NOT a lifetime commitment!

If you had posted on the main forum instead of in a Crossfit group, you would have received messages from many other people, some experienced coaches and trainers, who are very much against the Crossfit training system because of the unnecessary dangers involved in doing their style of workouts. By posting in this group, you have limited your responses to mostly people who are already biased towards Crossfit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Jane - its one thing to put in your opinion on the general forums, but this is a group specifically dedicated to Crossfit. It is not an appropriate place for your BS.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Haven't read through all of the responses...just OP, but wanted to jump in here...

Yes! Absolutely I felt like that...I'm I'm a relatively fit (albeit admittedly older) guy. These workouts absolutely kick my *kitten*, and I love it!

The trick...and based on the scaled weights you're using, it would seem that you're on the right path here...is to choose the right starting weights. I absolutely *suck* at this. In my 8ish workouts so far (as I've only been doing this for less than a month), I've gotten the weights mostly right exactly ONCE...and it isn't that I'm using my ego to decide the weights...(I'm not thinking, "I'm a stud...I'll use X pounds for this movement")...I mean, if I thought some 3 pound pink barbie weights were appropriate, I'd use them...I have no shame...but I actually think to myself, "four rounds of a minute each station? Surely I can use 75 pounds for push press...I mean, that's the rx for women"...and I *can* use that weight...for the first round...but when piled onto all of the other exercises in the WOD, my shoulders are toast by round two and I can't do more than a few reps. Very less than ideal.

So the secret...and the TL;DR to that ramblingness...is to start with a light weight...and then go even lighter. You can always move up as you progress, but if you start too heavy, you at best won't get as good a workout, and at worst you'll work yourself into an injury. Don't do that as it's the single biggest barrier to getting better at this (or really any fitness endeavor).

And yes, I'm still trying to figure out if crossfit makes people incredibly fit or if incredibly fit people are drawn to and stick with crossfit. Honestly, I suspect it's a lot of the latter, but I'm will to see if they can do some of the former.

(Assuming you aren't going to give up...and I really hope you don't)...welcome to the "cult". Enjoy the koolaid. It's awesome and unlike any other fitness thing I've ever done. :drinker:

ETA: I just read that you're 40. Awesome. So yeah, you and I are probably dealing with some of the "trying to keep up with/comparing ourselves to the kids" issues. Don't do that (I say both to you and to myself). Do your own thing, and realize that this will make you a better you.

Okay, back to read more and add to this rambling novella.

ETAM: Sounds like you're getting lots of great advice. Awesome. And yes, I believe that janebshaw hates crossfit and everything for which it stands. Honestly, I don't know what happened in her past to cause this intense level of hatred for it...perhaps she lost a loved one to it...but her comments on it are unique. I suggest you simply demonstrate how wrong she is by letting it make you into a more awesome you.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My take is that Jane is physically unable to do such things and is really just having a major rage of jealousy against people able to perform the way she wishes she could athletically.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    So I'm back from my first official crossfit and I loved it though honestly showed me that I'm not as fit as I thought! I'm training for tough mudder at end August so this is going to be great training or it.
    Thanks to you all who supported me & gave me the confidence to turn up for it :smile:

Since you have decided to do Crossfit, I hope you ALWAYS listen to your body, and not the team or the screaming coach or the ticking clock. Because listening to any one of those over your own body is a sure way to get injured.

And after a few workouts. if you find that Crossfit is too extreme for your needs, or you find you really don't enjoy being so sore you can barely move for days after a workout, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with leaving the Crossfit box and checking out other fitness programs in your area. Trying a few classes of any activity is NOT a lifetime commitment!

If you had posted on the main forum instead of in a Crossfit group, you would have received messages from many other people, some experienced coaches and trainers, who are very much against the Crossfit training system because of the unnecessary dangers involved in doing their style of workouts. By posting in this group, you have limited your responses to mostly people who are already biased towards Crossfit.

She had the same to say when I posted in the general forums about my upcoming crossfit experience. Here's what's happened to me in my first month with it:

1) I have yet to have a trainer yell at me for anything. They've given me plenty of helpful advice, and helped me scale plenty of exercises, but no yelling...well, unless you count talking loudly over the music they like to turn up for the WODs. And I have even told each of the trainers that I welcome...nay, I thrive on their criticism, so don't hold back. Usually, they're "yelling" things like, "Way to go! Keep it up! Awesome! You guys are doing great work!"...oh, and then "J, core tight, back flat...good. Check your feet! Yeah, you got it...narrow those feet a little. Two more rounds! Over half way there!"

2) The on-ramp trainer did more for my technique than anyone else has in decades prior. Although I've only been working on it for about a month, these tips have already helped me break through some plateaus and I find myself using the movement tips in everyday life.

3) I did hurt myself...in my very first WOD. I tweaked a nerve in my armpit that made my arm dead/numb for a couple of days. Problem was that I was trying to use too much weight...it was a weight that I chose for myself...and instead of admitting it mid-WOD and adjusting, I pushed through. That was my mistake. Lesson learned (although not really because I have a habit of making these kinds of decisions...and this is for many decades before I ever stepped into a crossfit gym).

4) Indeed, crossfit is not a lifetime commitment. My dues are month-to-month, no contract, and I can cancel any time. This is awesome in my opinion.

5) Absolutely, post a similar question in the general forums. Then you can witness firsthand the number of people who have done it in support of it vs. the number of people vehemently opposed to it who *consistently* have not done a single actual crossfit workout.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    My take is that Jane is physically unable to do such things and is really just having a major rage of jealousy against people able to perform the way she wishes she could athletically.

Not at all. Jealousy has nothing to do with it.

I am reasonably fit and have no desire to risk serious injury just so I can be part of the "cool crowd" (as many Crossfit people seem to consider themself to be). I do quite a few different exercise classes and I do some running. My fitness goals are to stay healthy and fit -- not see how close I can come to tearing my body apart by doing extreme stuff like Crossfit!

Any good coach at any gym can help you with your form and technique. Yes, some Crossfit coaches are reasonable and don't push people to the brink of injury, but many do. And a good Crossfit coach is no better than a good coach you could work with elsewhere.

So why connect yourself with an organization that certifies trainers that only had a weekend workshop and absolutely NO physical fitness training beyond that? Certifying trainers with only 2 days of training and saying they are qualified to train people in difficult exercises, as the Crossfit organization does, is very irresponsible. Obviously, they are doing it to "grow" the Crossfit organization as quickly as possible, but by certifying unqualified trainers, in the long run, they are doing nothing but harm to their reputation.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Just one simple question:

If they lead me into an injury, I stop paying my dues.

Why would they want to lead me into an injury?

Sounds like a very bad business model to me.

And for what it's worth, I've heard all of these stories about bad Crossfit trainers who don't know what they're doing...it actually kept me away from Crossfit for several years...and yet in my lifetime, I have yet to meet a single one of them. I have, however, met many globo gym trainers in this time who are remarkably clueless and have led many of my friends into an injury caused by poor judgment. (Heavy overhead rotational lifts? Hello torn rotator cuff.)

Based on this logic, I guess I should make it my crusade on MFP to warn everyone about the dangers of globo gyms and instead lead them to Crossfit gyms.

Wait...actually, that's kind of what I think I'm going to do now...except I will phrase it as making sure their trainers are competent...

...(but I'll make sure everyone knows what I mean is that Crossfit it superior).

ETA: And you honestly think Crossfit is "extreme"? Compared to triathlons, marathons, ultra running, mountain climbing, base jumping, X games events, skateboarding, etc. etc. etc.? Interesting. On a spectrum of "extreme", it's nowhere near the top of the list.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Did Jane really join a group called Crossfit Love just to spew her venomous hate? What type of crazy fucking nutjob does shit like that?

2NCJ2pe.gif

Go away. If you don't wish to do CF then don't. No one cares to hear your mindless, baseless rantings here.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you jofjltncb6- for what it's worth I've run 5 marathons in my quest to qualify and run the Boston marathon, which I did in 2011. The cost was two stress fractures to accomplish this. I've had way more serious and even just little nagging injuries trying to put in 50 miles a week than I have in a year and a half of crossfitting 5 times a week. Also for what it's worth I still run 3-5 miles 3 times a week to compliment crossfit and my half marathon time is just as fast as when I was putting in over 3 times the miles all thanks to crossfit. Crossfit rocks!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    That's because you either haven't been injured doing a WOD yet, or haven't seen any of your friends limping around in a cast because they tried to do something at Crossfit that was beyond their ability so the coach would stop yelling at them.

If you let someone bully you into an injury, even a coach, then that is on YOU not them or the sport. "Athlete know thyself."
    I have yet to have a coach, or any trainer, "yell" at me for anything. CrossFit isn't BUDS or SpecOps training so someone screaming at you during a WOD is unnecessary. Plus it's just dumb, what smart trainer would ever injure off their client base.
    But again, you don't have to believe me, but you SHOULD take the NY Times seriously!

LOL! Really? The NY Times? BWAHAHAHAHAHA. I can't take you seriously if you take the NY Times seriously.

janebshaw, we get that you hate CF. Don't blame a sport for your lack of ability and intellect, or the lack of said abilities by your friends. Now move along please.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    And you honestly think Crossfit is "extreme"? Compared to triathlons, marathons, ultra running, mountain climbing, base jumping, X games events, skateboarding, etc. etc. etc.? Interesting. On a spectrum of "extreme", it's nowhere near the top of the list.

Parkour is far and away more dangerous than CrossFit will ever be. I'd like to see some statistics on Parkour injuries and FATALITIES. ;-)
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My problem with Jane is this. This is a crossfit Love group. The OP didn't post on the general board because she wanted to hear from people who have been crossfitting and been in her position. I have no idea why someone who is strongly against crossfit would join a crossfit love group. It’s one thing to place your opinions on the main forum, however this group here is for people who actually love and enjoy crossfit. I don't understand why you feel the need to bring your opinion here. Jane I know you said you have friends that have been injured but have you ever stepped foot in a crossfit box? I mean you give so much advice from what you hear from others and different news articles that you read. I want to know have you experienced injury yourself while performing a crossfit workout?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    And you honestly think Crossfit is "extreme"? Compared to triathlons, marathons, ultra running, mountain climbing, base jumping, X games events, skateboarding, etc. etc. etc.? Interesting. On a spectrum of "extreme", it's nowhere near the top of the list.

Parkour is far and away more dangerous than CrossFit will ever be. I'd like to see some statistics on Parkour injuries and FATALITIES. ;-)

Dagnabbit! How could I forget parkour???

Especially since I've had my now 8yo son enrolled in a parkour class (albeit in a safer gym environment) for a couple of years now. But still, it's obviously a gateway to wildly dangerous activity that will almost certainly maim and/or kill him as he gets older...I mean, assuming he doesn't also fall into *gasp* crossfit too.

Don't let Jane know. She'll call DFS on me.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Not at all. Jealousy has nothing to do with it.

I am reasonably fit and have no desire to risk serious injury just so I can be part of the "cool crowd" (as many Crossfit people seem to consider themself to be). I do quite a few different exercise classes and I do some running. My fitness goals are to stay healthy and fit -- not see how close I can come to tearing my body apart by doing extreme stuff like Crossfit!

Any good coach at any gym can help you with your form and technique. Yes, some Crossfit coaches are reasonable and don't push people to the brink of injury, but many do. And a good Crossfit coach is no better than a good coach you could work with elsewhere.

So why connect yourself with an organization that certifies trainers that only had a weekend workshop and absolutely NO physical fitness training beyond that? Certifying trainers with only 2 days of training and saying they are qualified to train people in difficult exercises, as the Crossfit organization does, is very irresponsible. Obviously, they are doing it to "grow" the Crossfit organization as quickly as possible, but by certifying unqualified trainers, in the long run, they are doing nothing but harm to their reputation.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsgVLNMQLvWPWa5OFe4JeYv5W-HllzsdjVltzzoMdMMfJFsicSW6Nlq3EB

Myself and those I know have not torn our bodies apart. Perhaps we're just not delicate little flowers like yourself.
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I posted here so i could get replies from others who i knew would have been in my situation.

My crossfit trainer has been training in all aspects of sports for 24 years - he entered his first bodybuilding comp when he was 16 so i value his advice and experience. He in no way shouts at anyone or tries to push them further than what they are capable of so for anyone to have an opinion on crossfit trainers without actually having met them or know their background is ridiculous.

I too run and have competed in half marathons, trail runs etc and picked up injuries from that too.
    im doing this because i want to, love to challenge myself and i feed off the excitment and buzz i get from a good workout, i cant wait for my next crossfit tomorrow :happy:

I totally agree Jane should leave this group she has nothing to offer and behaves like an internet troll.
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started at 330 lbs and for the most part finished last in every wod...but the guys coming in first and second were cheering me on the whole way..we have from senior citizen to accomplished athlete...I never felt the sense of family until I started crossfit...stay with it and it will get better...
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Jane needs to go.

That is all.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Jane needs to go.

That is all.

She's gone. For now.
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Jane needs to go.

That is all.

She's gone. For now.

YES! Sweet! Just saw that in another thread. :happydance:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Both JaneBshaw and healthgal comment in every crossfit post. I think they may be the same person. Everyone who crossfits and comments on MFP has received a private msg from them at one time.
    I think its hilarious

That's because you either haven't been injured doing a WOD yet, or haven't seen any of your friends limping around in a cast because they tried to do something at Crossfit that was beyond their ability so the coach would stop yelling at them.

But again, you don't have to believe me, but you SHOULD take the NY Times seriously!

Then the problem is the person for not knowing their own limits. A coach can yell at me all they want. I've been active in athletics since I was 5 and lifting weights for almost 20 years. I know when to say "enough" and the coaches in my box know enough to listen.

I've specifically talked with one of the trainers about easing into the workouts and mastering technique first before pushing myself too hard.

The problem is people looking to someone else to tell them what to do instead of learning how to know your own limits, when it is safe to push them and when your body is telling you that it's done for the day.