Holy Harris County, IT'S HOT!!!

Options
runlisaloo
runlisaloo Posts: 35 Member
Ok, Houston. Summer is HERE, and we're just at the begining. How do YOU keep cool while exercising, make sure you get enough electrolytes, and avoid leg cramps?

Replies

• CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Agua, agua and more agua!! haha.. all day long! I freeze my water bottle the night before I bike and it melts along the way..that always helps. And I'm a big fan of Smart Water during the day!
  • mokster
    mokster Posts: 17
    Options
    i use NUUN active hydration tablets for my bike rides. :)
  • runlisaloo
    runlisaloo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I've been drinking lot's of water and drinking vega electolyte hydrator too. I'm monitoring my potassium in MFP. I notice that I have less problems with leg cramps on the days when my potassium is at or above the recommended amount.
  • brock_west_houston
    brock_west_houston Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Swim. That is my exercise of choice for March thru November. It is good cardiovascular and tones my muscles; I also lift weights...but running outdoors...not a chance in this heat! Anyway, I got my 50m butterfly down to about 45 seconds, which is good, I guess.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Work out in an air conditioned gym? LOL! When I do exercise outside, I try to do it early in the morning before it gets too hot. Other than that, lots and lots of water.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    My favorite exercise is running but I tend to focus on muscle training during the summer since the heat is not very conducive to running. As much as I don't like the treadmill, I tend to use it more during the summer to avoid heat stroke.