High A1C

Options
Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I posted on here. In addition to being diabetic I have been dealing with depression and anxiety and migraines so it's been really hard to do anything.

Last week I had my blood work and the results came back with my A1C at 10 (Last time I went it was 6.7). I'm not on insulin. My doctor told me I have three months to get it in order or I go on insulin. I really don't want to go on insulin. I'm going to small walks and watching my carb intake. I've talked my husband into walking around the block with me every night. This morning my daughter walked around the block with me.

It's so hard right now because of the depression. :sad: I know if I could get the right kind of medicine for my depression it would help, but we're playing with different meds to see what works well. I am determined to not go on insulin, so any advice is welcomed.

Replies

• dvdclark
    dvdclark Posts: 4
    Options
    When my doctor told me my A1C was 10 and that I was going on insulin. It put the fear of god into me because I don't want to lose any of my limbs or worse my eyesight. It was a wake up call that I listened to. This was all back in Dec. 2012 and since then I have been losing weight and eating right. Being I diabetic you need your three meals and at least 2 snacks. I have made a drastic life change and now I am really starting to enjoy life again. I started riding a bicycle at least 4 times a week. Using MFP has really put things in perspective and has been a life saver for me.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For depression, I HIGHLY recommend the book "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burn. Based on Cognitive Therapy, which is an amazing skill to master for all areas of your life.
    Best wishes!
    Margaret
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    a puppy. What you need is a puppy :flowerforyou:
  • areensee
    areensee Posts: 10
    Options
    Unfortunately depression is a far too common part of life these days, and one of the big reasons that we gain weight in the first place. Do remember that the right medication will not cure your depression, it simply levels the playing field so you have a fighting chance. Make sure that counseling/therapy is a part of your depression treatment. Also, don't beat yourself up for failing to live up to your goals. Change works best when it is a step at a time. Figure out which one type of food is your "achilles heel" and work to replace it with something else, and remember to take it a day at a time. One day of failure doesn't negate 6 days of success!

I have finally decided to take control of my diabetes and I'm learning to count carbs. While I know I need to monitor my fat intake as well, right now I'm focusing on carbs. It seems to be working as I am losing weight.

Good luck to you, and be safe.
  • babspalmer
    babspalmer Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone.

Like you dvdclark, it tells me I HAVE to do something. So I'm working on it.

hookilau, as much as my daughter wants a puppy, I am NOT a dog person (or cat person). I personally would like a teacup pig, but my husband keeps putting the nix in that.:frown:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    ooo I lurv little piggies...I don't know if they're all like that but here in NY, at the Animal Hospital my daughter works at, the 'tea cup' pigs we all know are HUUUUGE. They top out at like 60#'s at their adult weight (if they're not overfed), she says they're 'julienne' pigs.

You might be better off with a 5# yorkie who will *stay* at a relatively small size. The doctor she works for has 3 'tea cup' pigs that folks decided they were unable to keep when they became as big as MY 85# pit bull terrier.

A pup you can at least take for walks...well, to be fair you can take piggy with you for walks too. Hooves need trimming twice yearly and they squeal like the d!ckens but as babies, they are CUTE AS HELLLL. :drinker:

edited to correct the censure of 'd!ckens'...oops. guess I can't say that word :drinker: :drinker:
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Babs and welcome back to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your health struggles. One of the side effects of diabetes is depression so there well be a connection there which you could explore. As you may already be aware, diabetes is a very individual condition and what works for one person may not necessarily work for you. It really is a case of trial and error to see what works best for us as individuals and then sticking to that like glue. You also need to exercise descernment regarding prescriptive advice, however well intentioned. You will already be aware of the benefit of the MFP programme. The good news is that it really works, if properly applied. The many success stories on here bear testimony to that fact. Take time to read over the various threads and get a feel for the site again. When you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of genuine people on here who are willing to provide you with help and encouragement. One of the great strengths of MFP ,and especially in relation to diabetes ,is the mutual support in groups such as this. Take one step at a time and only move on when you have resolved that issue. I wish you well on your journey back to a healthy and active life and will do all I can to help and support you.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I understand your fear and hope that you don't need to start using insulin. However, going on insulin does not mean you will have to stay on insulin forever. Insulin will help you get your BG's under control while you are losing weight. It is far worse to have your BG levels out of control just so you can stay off the insulin. I have been on insulin for about 7 years and only in the last 6 months have I started taking my getting healthy serious. I have been able to drastically reduce the amount of insulin I need to take and am hopeful to reduce even more or cut it out entirely.

Walking is great and is so good in helping to lower your BG's. Keep it up. Try to go a little farther every day. My doctor had told me to exercise and it wasn't until January that I actually listened.

Keep putting yourself and your health in the forefront and you will get there.

Good work on what you have accomplished so far.
  • babspalmer
    babspalmer Posts: 48
    Options
    I don't know if everyone knows how much the support means to me. :happy: It's been a rough road. Today when I checked it, my BS was down to 139. That's the lowest it's been for quite awhile.

I've had a terrible headache and went back to the doctor today, and I'd lost 4 pounds since the last time I saw him. This gives me hope.

Thanks again. I need all the support I can get.

~Babs~
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lot of people fear insulin, and avoid it at all costs. Be careful of the cost you are paying to avoid it. Insulin is one of the strongest tools against the battle you are fighting.

In many cases, using insulin can give you so much more control over your diabetes. Having that control, and knowing that you are doing the right things for your body can really give you a mental boost.

With that mental boost, and the better glucose control, it can be easier to diet and exercise. Maybe insulin is exactly what you need to break the cycle you are in.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb and getting your blood glucose level down to a normal level can actually help with depression. High blood glucose levels will promote depression.

I agree with Poodleaise, insulin can be a good thing. After reading about the side affects of many diabetic medicines I have come to the conclusion that if anyone needs medication beyond metformin, it should be insulin. Insulin, when used properly, has the least risk of side affects. And, it is worth it to keep your blood glucose levels under 140.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb and getting your blood glucose level down to a normal level can actually help with depression. High blood glucose levels will promote depression.

I agree with Poodleaise, insulin can be a good thing. After reading about the side affects of many diabetic medicines I have come to the conclusion that if anyone needs medication beyond metformin, it should be insulin. Insulin, when used properly, has the least risk of side affects. And, it is worth it to keep your blood glucose levels under 140.

QFT. How one achieves control isn't as important as achieving control.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    QFT. How one achieves control isn't as important as achieving control.
    AMEN!
  • areensee
    areensee Posts: 10
    Options
    The problem with starting insulin is that once you've started, it is difficult to get off it. Anytime you expose your body to a new drug, it immediately starts a change in the way your body metabolizes. In effect, your body "gets used" to having the drug around. This makes it far more difficult to get off the drug. Insulin is a life saving drug, but you shouldn't go on it unless you really have no other alternative. It's an artificial hormone and as such it isn't perfect. It can't work as well as your body's own naturally produced insulin.

It's true that many of the more recent oral drugs (and Byetta) have turned out to have serious problems, but insulin isn't without it's difficulties as well. For example, going on insulin requires a drastic change in the way one thinks about food, exercise and blood sugar. Metformin doesn't usually cause serious hypoglycemia, but hypoglycemia from insulin can kill you very quickly.

If you must go on insulin, DEMAND extensive and complete diabetic education from a diabetic nurse educator and nutritionist FIRST. If you can, get in with a diabetic clinic. Doing so may very well save your life or the life of your child (if you have a child going on insulin).