Hell-Bent

shano25
shano25 Posts: 233 Member
Has anyone read this book by Benjamin Lorr? I just got it from the library today and am really looking forward to it. The author has been a competitor at the Asana Championships and he writes about his experience with Bikram. I think it will be nice to read something that doesn't think of Bikram as a cult!

Replies

• Scar1964
    Scar1964 Posts: 92 Member
    Has anyone read this book by Benjamin Lorr? I just got it from the library today and am really looking forward to it. The author has been a competitor at the Asana Championships and he writes about his experience with Bikram. I think it will be nice to read something that doesn't think of Bikram as a cult!

I just wanted to take a class, did not know I was entering a cult. What's up w/ that?
  • I read it. I liked the stories from different perspectives. I am not as dedicated as these folks...the back bending clinics sound crazy and I don't know how anyone survives teacher training, but I love my yoga practice :-)
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member

I just wanted to take a class, did not know I was entering a cult. What's up w/ that?

LOL, a lot of people outside of Bikram say things that make it sound kind of cult-like when you look at the way Bikram runs the business (not just anyone can open a studio, studios have to pay fees, he's copyrighted the postures, etc.) For most of the people who take classes, you wouldn't notice anything like that. But I guess because he's a very eccentric figure, people like to call it this.

Don't worry, you're not entering anything weird!!! There will be no initiations or thousand year contracts to sign!
  • Scar1964
    Scar1964 Posts: 92 Member

LOL, a lot of people outside of Bikram say things that make it sound kind of cult-like when you look at the way Bikram runs the business (not just anyone can open a studio, studios have to pay fees, he's copyrighted the postures, etc.) For most of the people who take classes, you wouldn't notice anything like that. But I guess because he's a very eccentric figure, people like to call it this.

Don't worry, you're not entering anything weird!!! There will be no initiations or thousand year contracts to sign!

I'm just having some fun. Thanks for the info.
  • vick441
    vick441 Posts: 42 Member
    It's a great book, good insight into many aspects of the active BY practitioners, touching on historical development of this particular direction from 70-s and early 80-s into our days, no doubt growing exponentially ... of course, far from Bikram's own claims, but still on a large scale. As such the book may be much more engaging for those involved but also quite entertaining for those who are new to this, just keep your mind open and don't throw the baby out with the water
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    I'm a Bikram certified teacher and I loved that book. Really shed some light on things that previously everyone knew about but didn't talk about . . . since he's written the book there have a been a number of sexual assault allegations filed against Bikram. About time, IMO.

Let me also say that I am a devoted yogi who really believes this practice can heal bodies and minds and get people into the best shape they've ever been in. I am just not a big fan of Bikram himself.
  • jacksonsoxfan
    jacksonsoxfan Posts: 8 Member
    I read the book and found it very interesting. I liked finding out about the "inside world" of Bikram yoga.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    I'm a Bikram certified teacher and I loved that book. Really shed some light on things that previously everyone knew about but didn't talk about . . . since he's written the book there have a been a number of sexual assault allegations filed against Bikram. About time, IMO.

Let me also say that I am a devoted yogi who really believes this practice can heal bodies and minds and get people into the best shape they've ever been in. I am just not a big fan of Bikram himself.

That's kind of like a doctor. He/she may do great things for you and heal you but you may not like their personal life styles, but we still go to that doctor for their abilities as a doctor. That's how I see Bikram -- he has this yoga that heals on several levels but as a person we may not feel comfortable with him, but that doesn't invalidate his yoga.

I just ordered the book from Amazon and am anxious to give it a read.