Protein Intake

Options
bmgilst
bmgilst Posts: 12 Member
When trying to cut, what is the recommended protein intake? I've always heard that 1 g per pound of body weight is good, but it seems a bit difficult to do that when cutting. What is best?

Replies

• drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    At LEAST 1 gram per lb. That helps to preserve your LBM better. I'm at about 1.2g/lb myself .....but every one is different ...
  • bmgilst
    bmgilst Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Out of the protein you get, about how much would you say comes from supplements?
  • drefaw
    Options
    My diary is open, since you are on my FL now. Feel free to look back through it all you want Brian .....
  • drefaw
    Options
    My diary is open, since you are on my FL now. Feel free to look back through it all you want Brian .....

The quick answer to ur Q is, I think about 60 grams a day ....
  • Skip2mylou
    Skip2mylou Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I dont think measuring protein intake by body weight is a good idea because a person who is 200 lb with body fat at 15-16 % would need more than a person who is at 170 lb but around 9-10 % and has more lean muscle mass. The best is to calculate protein level based on macros, compared to carbs and fats. Like 45 % carbs, 45 % proteins and 10 % fat, or something similar.
    I personally goes for 200 g + on a cut and 250-300 g on maintance :)
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I also go by macros and have had a lot of success at 40-45% - I try to do it with as much whole food as possible but no way I would be able to make it without some protein supplementation.
  • drefaw
    Options
    I dont think measuring protein intake by body weight is a good idea because a person who is 200 lb with body fat at 15-16 % would need more than a person who is at 170 lb but around 9-10 % and has more lean muscle mass. The best is to calculate protein level based on macros, compared to carbs and fats. Like 45 % carbs, 45 % proteins and 10 % fat, or something similar.
    I personally goes for 200 g + on a cut and 250-300 g on maintance :)

This makes no sense really. Because a person at 200lb w/15% BF has 170 lbs of LBM. A person at 170 w/10%BF will only have 153lbs of LBM. SO, of course the 200 lb'er will need more protein ... ESPECIALLY if in a cutting cycle , which @ 15% BF he most likely would be.....

Use 1.2- 1.4 g/lbm/d for protein, then .35g/lb/d fat, and the rest in complex carbs .... that should come close to a 40(P)/30(C)/30(F) ratio for macros .....
  • JeremyBenn
    Options
    When trying to cut, what is the recommended protein intake? I've always heard that 1 g per pound of body weight is good, but it seems a bit difficult to do that when cutting. What is best?

truely it depends on what emphasis you are placing on ur other macros. If your doing a high carb cut then you wont need as much protein as carbs are protein sparing. If your doing moderate - hgih fat id put protein at 1.5 per lb and fat at .5 per pound, carbs coming from fiberous veggies with a carb refeed weekly on the same day every week. 40/40/20?