Digestive issues?

Options
AlisalGal
AlisalGal Posts: 88 Member
Has anyone else experienced... ummmm, digestive discomfort after a time on Medifast? To be blunt, I feel very gassy and as if that's not bad enough, I'm in actual physical pain. I've been reading up (trying to find credible sites) on the link between soy protein isolates and bloating/gas and am sorry to discover there's A LOT of evidence showing the two are connected. Medifast products are laden with soy protein isolates so I'd like to know if maybe I'm just extra-sensitive or if this is common. I think I'll start incorporating "real foods" several times a day from the 2 week sample menu from Dr. A's Habits Of Health (located in Chapter 10, Putting It All Together). I'd love to hear about others' thoughts and experiences.

Replies

• PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The only time I feel particularly gassy is when I've had more than one of the crunch bars. It's the sugar alcohols that do it.

I don't know about the soy - I think that perhaps some people are simply more sensitive to it.

I've eaten soy products all my life, and they don't generally do that to me. (There's one product that does, more so now than in the past, but I refuse to give it up, LOL!) But the MF products don't.

Honestly, I'm more gassy from eating more broccoli than from eating MF!
  • AlisalGal
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I'll try sticking to soups, pretzels and oatmeal for a couple days to see if it helps. Do the shakes also contain a higher amount of sugar alcohol? Do you happen to know which ingredient I should be on the lookout for?
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have seen this with some people. Some clients are just more sensitive to soy. I woyld suggest two things. Get some of the whey protein products. There is also a digestive health enzyme that is formulated to go with the medifast foods. I have a lot of clients that have gotten some relief using them. Overall I would say, when people use more whey products, use the digestive health enzyme and hang in there, most digestive issues clear up witin the first few weeks. Check out Clienthealthtips.com. There is a list of suggestions for digestive issues.
  • AlisalGal
    Options
    My MF coach recommended taking probiotics so I'll give that a try for a few days. I've also planned out an entire week's menu (and have pre-tracked most of it on MFP), using 2-3 Medifast products per day and the other meals are taken from the sample 2-week menu from the Habits of Health book. I hope this works! This can't go on!
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    only issue is when I have more than 1 bar per day. its not the soy in the bars that are the problem for most its the sugar alcohols.
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I call them the "medifarts." and they usually happen in the first week on the program.

I didn't have much relief from the digestive health supplements, i'm sad to say. I think it's the bars too. I've just started to take walks around the building.... (Did you know that flight attendants call this "crop dusting?")

when i get really backed up, miralax helps.

if it's actually painful i will use a good old fashioned laxative suppository.
  • Stacivogue
    Options
    Though that tips thing helped make the oatmeal palatable. Wheat bran. Who'd of thunk it. It sure looks like it would make you regular.
  • Stacivogue
    Options
    FYI...2 tbsp of wheat bran and flax seeds and the oatmeal tastes good, and digestive issues solved.
  • varnerific
    varnerific Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the Medifarts. We've been becoming re-acquainted this week. I had them on my first go with MF last year as well. I just learn to live with it and apologize a lot to my husband. ;) .... Or blame the dog.
  • Stacivogue
    Options
    Try the ground flax seed, Splenda, and wheat bran. This is the first time I have felt ok on medifast. Much less stinky!