How many grams of carb

Options
OK, since I am not able to lose weight with to many carbs in my diet (doctor told me so), I will try to stick to 100 g carbs per day. This way I can still eat a little bit of bread, which I love so much and fruits. Is this a good number? How many carbs do you eat a day and successfully lost weight?

Replies

• Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think the number is different for everyone, you just have to find what works for you. I lose weight extremely slowly and I have to go very low carb to see any movement on the scale. I keep mine well below 50 grams a day and do a refeed once a week.
  • melw2910
    melw2910 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just started the lower carb route and also aiming to get 100g per day or lower. I am 4 days in and so far feeling fab, more energy and no cravings. I am a real carb girl so the main issue for me was cutting bread.
    Good luck with your journey, let me know how you go
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I think the number is different for everyone, you just have to find what works for you.

This. Depends on the person: their goals, their stats, their metabolism, activity, etc.

I say try it and see if it works for you. I used to be able to lose at 150g or less, but that was almost 10 years ago. Now I have to stay under 100g, unless I am really active.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I stick to under 100 a day if possible. As far as bread you mentioned. You could try 100% nature's own whole wheat bread, it's 50 calories and 8 net carbs per slice.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I eat 25-30 carbs a day and average a lost of 2 pounds per week.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have to stay around 20g a day to lose weight and control blood glucose.
  • sparkyn7
    sparkyn7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    20 net carbs? Or 20 including fiber and sugars?
  • mrsek09
    mrsek09 Posts: 32
    Options
    I eat a ketogenic diet where I keep my net carbs under 20gm a day. Some have great luck still losing weight with 50-100 gms. I typically don't do "refeeds", although, for the purpose of an experiment, I will be starting them, but I have been on a keto diet for almost 10 months and am "fat adapted".

In my case, the deep restriction is two fold: 1) I feel better and 2) I don't do well with "moderation", I'm an emotional/compulsive eater. If I know I have to stay away from certain things, it's far easier for me.

Welcome to the low carb lifestyle (after 3 months, it stopped being a diet for me!). The people here are super helpful and supportive. Good luck :)
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Thanks. For those, who eat a lot less, like 20 g or so., which is almost no carb.... aren't you getting constipated? I mean since there are almost no veggies and fruits (fiber) etc. included.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have been eating about 50 net carbs per day (subtract out fiber). I quit most refined carbs like sugar, bread, pasta. The only carbs I really eat are vegetables and some dairy like yogurt.
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    20 net carbs? Or 20 including fiber and sugars?
    Net carbs.
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    Thanks. For those, who eat a lot less, like 20 g or so., which is almost no carb.... aren't you getting constipated? I mean since there are almost no veggies and fruits (fiber) etc. included.
    You'd be surprised at how many vegetables I can eat at under 20g net carbs a day. I am also eating berries. I do take magnesium which helps prevent constipation and usually I take a fiber supplement. Lots of water and a high fat macro helps as well. I'm pretty regular.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do about 20 (my dairy won't show that because i do the 'net carbs' so the veggies are almost 0 ... I use flax meal instead of bread for the most part (you can make hamburg buns in the microwave - and bread and pancakes yum) and that has basically 0 net carbs.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do about 20-50 i do the 'net carbs' so the veggies are almost 0 ... I use flax meal instead of bread for the most part (you can make hamburg buns in the microwave - and bread and pancakes yum) and that has basically 0 net carbs.