Help!

Options
Mimisam45
Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
I am just finishing up workout 1 and getting ready to start 2. . . . I have a shoulder injury that will not allow me to hold a barbell on my shoulders, my left hand simply wont hold weight in that position - when I can even get my arm up there. So, I have done all the squats using the squat "barbell" with the hole in it. This then makes the step ups more difficult because I am holding heavy weights again and my arms get very tired.

My question is: is there a better way to modify the moves that require a barbell on my shoulders??? I am certain this will come up again.

Thanks

Replies

• mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym or workout at home? I was thinking if at a gym maybe try overhead shoulder presses with the smith machine?
  • Mimisam45
    Options
    I do belong to a gym. . but even with the smith machine I have to hold the weight and I can't get my left hand up to where the bar sits on my shoulders. . .
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm having a difficult time understanding the issue and the type of bar you're using. are you not using a squat rack? the bar doesn't actually sit in your hands, it sits on your traps and your hands are simply there for balance. (squeeze your shoulder blades together, there's a meaty part of the back that should support the bar). Your hand shouldn't be baring any weight if you're properly loaded.
  • Mimisam45
    Options
    You are absolutely right, I can't get my hands there either to place the bar properly or to hold it for balance. . . : (
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    First off, I assume you're cleared by your doctor to lift heavy:)
    You could try front squats. The book has a fairly good explanation of them.
    You could also try Zercher squats: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/zercher-squats
    I've seen someone suggest Hack squats: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-hack-squat
  • Mimisam45
    Options
    Thanks, yes the doctor has cleared me. I am working on strengthening the shoulder. I checked out the two variations you mentioned but they still require my "holding" the bar with my arms, which, when followed by the step ups (holding 50lbs) my arms are exhausted before my legs. . . feels as though they are being pulled from my shoulders!!

I wondered if maybe I could "hug" a heavier weight plate????
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,971 Member
    Options
    There's TONS of adaptations....you don't EVER have to hold a BB on your shoulders and you'll STILL get in great work-outs!

For squats, instead of "back squats" or "front squats", check out goblet squats, bowler squats, or just DB squats (holding DBs by your sides).

For any other leg work, there's nothing wrong with keeping the DB's by your side - instead of using them hoisted up on your shoulders.

FORM FIRST.

Let me know how it goes....
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes the doctor has cleared me. I am working on strengthening the shoulder. I checked out the two variations you mentioned but they still require my "holding" the bar with my arms, which, when followed by the step ups (holding 50lbs) my arms are exhausted before my legs. . . feels as though they are being pulled from my shoulders!!

I wondered if maybe I could "hug" a heavier weight plate????

Front squats don't require that you hold the bar at all with arms. The bar rests in your fingertips. However, the bar should be held ON your shoulders which your inury might prevent.
    I've done Zercher squats and they didn't put the stress on my grip at all.