Stuff to eat when you're out and about....

Options
JVCB
JVCB Posts: 73 Member
Okay, so this Group has gone silent! Maybe we can share some ideas for healthy things to eat when you're out running errands all day and suddenly realize you're ravenous and you forgot to pack your healthy snack of twigs and tree bark... :laugh:

Anyway, I have two "discoveries" to share... and hope others will add to this topic.

#1. Asian Spring Rolls (also called Summer Rolls). These are the type that are NOT fried; they are often served with peanut sauce (which I avoid) or the Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (which I love in moderation). I'm seeing that a lot of the supermarkets and natural markets have Fresh Sushi sections now, and I've tried both the vegetarian and shrimp spring rolls. Depending on what's in them, they can be only 100-200 calories. My local "Sprout's Market" makes a shrimp, avocado, cucumber, carrot, lettuce version that is only 88 calories. There are more caloric versions that have rice noodles in the middle. I like these so much, I've started making them at home... they are easy! Here's a link to an example of how to make them:
http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/how-roll-fresh-spring-rolls/

#2. Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches. This is yet another franchise Sub Sandwich shop that I'd never paid any attention to. Then I saw an "Unwich" posted on someone else's MFP Diary and looked them up. Jimmy John's will make any of their subs as a Lettuce Wrap. So I made a special trip and tried one yesterday.... the #10 double roast beef with provolone, tomatoes and cukes - hold the mayo, add dijon mustard - Oh my, it was really tasty and filling, and only 277 calories! They seem to be popping up like mushrooms all across the country, so there might be one near you. Another nice thing is their website has full Nutritional information and the ability to "customize" your Unwich online to choose what you're going to have before you walk in the door. http://www.jimmyjohns.com/menu/menu.aspx

Okay, your turn! :bigsmile:

Replies

• cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know that about Jimmy John's. I went there one time and my sub was 600 calories. On 1200 calories a day, you have to make smart choices in food. It wasn't really filling either. The lettuce wrapped sandwich sounds good.

My own personal discovery (I'm sure others have discovered this), but I am a huge fan of Sweet Frog. They are a premium frozen yogurt place. It's like Dairy Queen but healthier and CHEAPER!!! They change up their flavors every week. Plus, they have an amazing topping bar with fresh fruit!!! I always get the no sugar added flavors with fruit!!! sweetfrogyogurt.com/
  • JVCB
    Options
    No SweetFrog in my part of the country... but it does look good! I have a FroYo place nearby that serves a frozen yogurt called "Sweet 8"; which is only 8 calories per ounce... so a 4oz serving is only 32 calories. So, naturally, I have to get 6 ounces! :bigsmile:
    My place is self-serve, so you can have several flavors in one cup.. but I have to be careful not to get carried away. I do the same as you and add fresh fruit toppings. It tastes so good, especially now that it is getting hot! Chocolate and blueberries, yum!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I love the chopped salad at Subway. the Turkey salad is just 349 calories with 2 grams of fat. Yummy
    http://www.subway.com/menu/product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuId=36&MenuTypeId=1&ProductId=251

You can order any of their sandwich combos as a salad, so there is a lot of variety.
  • JVCB
    Options
    I love the chopped salad at Subway. the Turkey salad is just 349 calories with 2 grams of fat. Yummy
    http://www.subway.com/menu/product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuId=36&MenuTypeId=1&ProductId=251

You can order any of their sandwich combos as a salad, so there is a lot of variety.

Thanks for the post! I haven't tried this yet and I should, since there are a lot of Subways where I live. I do buy their 6" sub with no cheese and no sauce, and then tear off each end of the bread so that I'm probably eating about 4" worth. Love all the fresh crunchy veggies they have available!
  • rlkilgo
    rlkilgo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I keep water and peanut butter crackers and bananas. It's my own personal way. I have been able to stay around my 1200 calories since January 2013 and I am down 28 pounds. I am happy with my new eating habits. I bought myself a present earlier this month....a ladies schwinn bike. I love it! :love: