New research on carb addiction

Options
kiramaniac
kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/06/26/195292850/can-you-be-addicted-to-carbs-scientists-are-checking-that-out

Fresh research adds weight to the notion that certain foods (think empty carbs like bagels and sweet treats) can lead to more intense hunger and overeating.

Fast-digesting carbohydrates can stimulate regions of the brain involved in cravings and addiction, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Prior studies have shown that highly desirable foods, perhaps a cheesecake or pie, can trigger pleasure centers in the brain. But what's new about this research is that it shows that even when people are unaware of what they're eating, the intake of fast-digesting carbs can activate parts of the brain associated with pleasure, reward and addiction.

To evaluate this, , director of the obesity prevention center at Boston Children's Hospital, and his colleagues conducted brain scans in 12 overweight men after they consumed two different kinds of test milkshakes.

Both milkshakes had the same number of calories and similar ingredients, but one contained more fast-digesting carbs and the other was made of slower-digesting carbohydrates. The here is that so-called high-glycemic index foods such as sugar and highly processed breads move through the body faster than low-glycemic index foods such as fruit and whole grains.

After the participants drank the rapidly digesting carb shake, their blood sugar spiked and then crashed four hours later. And it's at this point that researchers documented activation of a part of the brain called the nucleus accumbens, a small area that is involved in emotions and addiction. Ludwig told The Salt: "The scans showed intense activation in brain regions involved in addictive behavior."

The idea that certain foods may be addictive is controversial. Some scientists think it's overstating the matter. And clearly it's not settled as to whether activity in these brain regions would be seen widely in the population, or perhaps only among those who are overweight or prone to overeating.

As , a professor of clinical pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco, points out, this research can't tell us if there's a cause and effect relationship between eating certain foods and triggering brain responses, or if those responses lead to overeating and obesity.

"[The study] doesn't tell you if this is the reason they got obese," says Lustig, "or if this is what happens once you're already obese."

Nonetheless, Lustig told The Salt that he thinks this study offers another bit of evidence that "this phenomenon is real." He has been a leading voice in suggesting that is the cause of obesity and other health problems.

Increasingly, the concept of food addiction is gaining attention from researchers. There's a body of work exploring the connection, says , a neuroscientist at the University of Florida who studies food and the brain.

This study, she says, adds to the growing literature that suggests that high-sugar foods can affect the brain "in ways that can alter reward processing and potentially fuel overeating."

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Fresh research adds weight to the notion that certain foods (think empty carbs like bagels and sweet treats) can lead to more intense hunger and overeating.

This study, she says, adds to the growing literature that suggests that high-sugar foods can affect the brain "in ways that can alter reward processing and potentially fuel overeating."
    Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm...YUP! :-)
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can believe this. I know I tried for years to control my weight but the craving for sugar always won out. Once I was diagnosed with diabetes and started controlling the amount and type of carbs I consume the craving went away and the weight has been correcting itself with very little effort on my part.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It's astonishing to me how so many people are "a calorie is a calorie". No, they are not.

My over-simplification of Carbs is that for many people (obviously not for all people, since plenty can eat carbs and not be overweight) is this:
    1 - They drive up blood sugar levels. This in turn, causes insulin to surge. Insulin's purpose is to store blood sugar as fat.
    2 - Because the blood sugar was stored as fat and not used for energy, people are still hungry. They want to eat (need to eat) more food. And because their blood sugar is low, they are driven to eat carbs to bring that up.
    3 - Now, with this research, you have an addiction mechanism as well. Something about the high-glycemic load triggers the brain areas associated with addiction.

Calories are NOT calories. It drives me nuts to see how low-carb is viewed as a "fad diet" by the mainstream (and that includes the main forums). How can you ignore how differently the body responds to carbohydrates vs protein and fats?

Don't get me wrong - people can still lose weight doing a traditional balanced low-fat diet. I've seen people do it. But the deck is stacked against you. You are working against your own body's mechanisms that are driving you to eat more. God bless those individuals have been successful at losing it and keeping it off. But we don't have to be condemned to that struggle; that's the beauty of doing low-carb.

And there is no logical discussion with the balanced diet folks. It's like arguing religion - their beliefs are so embedded that they can't even consider an alternative.

All right. Slight rant over.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    WELL SAID, kiramaniac! I am with you 100%. All calories are not the same. It took over a year for me to lose 30 pounds on higher protein and lower carbs (generally under 100g) and low fat. That got frustrating, so I dropped ALL grains, not just gluten, and still the weight came off pretty slowly. Then I went high fat, low carb (25 net carbs), added in more olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, flax, real butter, real mayo, daily eggs,cheese, some nuts. I don't eat animal fat, other than dairy....stuck primarily with the chicken,fish,

Guess what.....this diabetic, hypothryroid 58-year old Great Grandma started dropping the weight. I feel younger/better than I have in 20 years. My a1c went from a decent 6.2 in January to 6.0 last week. My cholestrol had been climbing and was 201 in January. Now it is 162....that's 40 points---EATING FAT! and feeling more full and less like I am on a diet.

No diet is one size fits all....but I, too, get tired of hearing this is unhealthy or a fad. I am living proof otherwise! and i have lost 30 more pounds in 6 months rather than 15 months for the first 30. and besides the MEDICAL STATS, I feel freaking GREAT!
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The researchers stay in labs and test body functions hourly or so for a physiological response to carbs and glucose. A major randomized study that includes thousands of people could validate that carbs make you hungry, feel good and want more all at the same time. Any one with an addiction to carbs can say that and also recognize the effects of not eating carbs. I know that carbs are not my friend and I go completely overboard when I eat them. I know I am not alone. But people, for years and even now, blame this on willpower or lack of willpower. By believing that willpower plays a role in this can be very damaging to a person.
    Carb addition is not a willpower issue!!!!!!! By living low carb you can conquer those additions or at least decrese them!!!! yay Kiramaniac keep the good reliable info coming!!!!
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ The above^^^^^^
    That's very encouraging Scubana7. Absolutely agree, the high carb low fat has shown what it does. Government really need to look with more depth into alternatives and advise appropriately.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Calories are NOT calories. It drives me nuts to see how low-carb is viewed as a "fad diet" by the mainstream (and that includes the main forums). How can you ignore how differently the body responds to carbohydrates vs protein and fats?

Don't get me wrong - people can still lose weight doing a traditional balanced low-fat diet. I've seen people do it. But the deck is stacked against you. You are working against your own body's mechanisms that are driving you to eat more. God bless those individuals have been successful at losing it and keeping it off. But we don't have to be condemned to that struggle; that's the beauty of doing low-carb.

People CAN lose weight by doing the low-fat, calorie counting thing...and most every one that I've ever watched do so is miserable with how they eat and more obsessed with food than before they started their "diet." The other thing I've always noticed? There is no "glow" to low fat eaters...their hair, skin, eyes are usually dull and lifeless looking. And the other kind of "glow," the one that comes with having your moods and emotions regulated and performing optimally? The "happy" kind of glow? That's missing, too.

Not enough fat = depression and other mental health issues with me every time.

I want to take this opportunity to plug the movie "Fathead" again on this thread. Kira, you're the one whose post I saw originally talking about it. I watched this (funny, informative) movie THREE times over the last week, roping family members in each time. It's a great documentary with some of my fav low carb proponents/researchers (Taubes, the Eades) included. Let's just say that for at least one member of my household, where reading about this stuff left him high and dry, watching a film brought the message home a bit better.

Now I have to hide my coconut oil... ;-)
  • SteveSprawl
    SteveSprawl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is challenging to retrain yourself after being told for so many years fat is bad. However, after much reading and talking first hand to friends who have gone on low card/high fat diets with improvements in blood test results like those mentioned here I had to give it consideration. It is very satisfying, sustainable and effective.
  • SteveSprawl
    SteveSprawl Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I want to take this opportunity to plug the movie "Fathead" again on this thread.

Very interesting movie and funny!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    High glycemic carbs are definitely addicting. I just think back when I used to eat cookies, cakes, etc. For example, I would take an Entenmann's Louisiana Crunch Cake, cut one slice (a large one) then within 10 minutes of eating that, I would go back and do take another slice. This would continue until it was gone. Even a peanut butter & jelly sandwich would turn into two, maybe three--on whole wheat bread (I thank Dr. Davis' "Wheat Belly" for opening my eyes).

Thinking back on this, what little pleasure I might have gotten out of eating like this was outweighed by the shear addictive behavior of unconsciously eating.