"Please don't lose anymore weight."

Options
Do they say it because they might be jealous?

I'm currently 191 pounds. Two years ago, I was about 220 pounds. My goal weight is between 155 to 160. Some people tell me to not lose anymore weight. One of my older cousins told me to please do not lose anymore weight. I understand that she just wanta me to be healthy. That's exactly what I'm aiming for. It's not like I'm gonna be stick. I don't wanna be a stick. I'm 5'8" barefoot as well. Maybe I should gain some weight back so some people won't say to me to stop. That's how I feel. Forget that.

Replies

• ziggiezambi
    ziggiezambi Posts: 253
    Options
    Go after what you want. I’m 5’4” and I weigh 122 my goals to be 115 and that’s what I want. My fam is constantly trying to feed me because to them I’m too skinny but to me I see flabby areas I don’t like. So, I’m going to continue to lose and shape up to make myself happy. They don’t have to walk in your shoes every day. So, be the size you want to be.
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Same here, Some of my cousins says I shouldn't lose more weight but I want to get my desired weight 110-115. I'm short so I need to lose more weight to look better in dress... so I don't really take what they say if I know I am healthy. I know that my family might be concern about me but one of my friend say she will unfriend me if weigh less than her. That one is 100% jealousy but I would pretend she tell a joke. I guess we can't really know what is their real intention... weather it is just jealousy or real concern but as long as you are in healthy weight it will not be a problem.
  • sjconnelly
    Options
    In my personal experience it also helps to tell them you want to "tone and tighten" then to lose weight. I am almost 5'9 and I am constantly told I don't need to lose weight. However, keep in mind just because you are not losing weight doesn't mean you are not making progress! Muscle weighs something too!
  • earltj
    earltj Posts: 9
    Options
    They no longer tell me that because when they said it I rolled my eyes. I said you never told me anything when I blew up to 250 and was killing myself. So don't tell me anything about my wt. now that I am smaller and getting healthy.
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    Exactly. It's MY body, not theirs.
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    Yeah, that's true.
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    That's exactly what I was thinking! It's like when I was heavier, I needed to lose weight and everyone says great job. Now they are telling me to stop? NO. I'm not stopping until I reach my goal weight.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I would just tell them that you're still overweight. I'm the same height as you and the healthy weight range is 122-164lbs for 5'8". You don't have to say you want to lose weight, just say you're getting healthier/taking better care of yourself.
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I get that too, I'm 118lbs and 5ft 4. I'm still heavier than I was before I had kids so I say "No, I'm doing great actually, I'm back at the right weight for me and I feel much better about myself." Aged 18 I was 105lbs so 118 is much healthier!
  • Fingafuud
    Fingafuud Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm 5'8'' and 132 lbs right now, I started at 145. My mom always said I should stop losing but since I didn't listen to her she doesn't say it anymore. She wants to lose weight herself and now "copies" my cooking and habits lol.

I don't talk about my fitness goals with friends because they will say "you look good already" and not support me at all.

i saw this great video about not-supporting friends & family:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtrUgkk0iNw

it really is true
  • heatherducharme15
    Options
    i'm 5'8", and my goal weight is 135. I had the same problem with one of my friends and one of my family members, but my nutritionist said it was a perfectly acceptable weight goal. A few years ago that was my weight so I know that I am not underweight by any means.
  • tatianamachado
    Options
    The last week I promised to myself that I would start a more healthy life that I always had! It's been a year that I don't do any kind of sport or exercise (SHAME ON ME!!)!!! But my family is being my worst enemy! They are always offering me cakes, telling me that I can't resist, that in one week I'll be back at the same life style that I had!!! They even laugh at me when I say that I'll do it! And the worst is that my mum was the first one telling me that I had to be careful that I was winning weight and now she doesn't support me! BUT I SWEAR I'LL DO IT!!!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The last week I promised to myself that I would start a more healthy life that I always had! It's been a year that I don't do any kind of sport or exercise (SHAME ON ME!!)!!! But my family is being my worst enemy! They are always offering me cakes, telling me that I can't resist, that in one week I'll be back at the same life style that I had!!! They even laugh at me when I say that I'll do it! And the worst is that my mum was the first one telling me that I had to be careful that I was winning weight and now she doesn't support me! BUT I SWEAR I'LL DO IT!!!

You can get support here. I am starting the Ultimate Female Training aka Female Training Bible (posted on Internet) July 1. Also thread under the women's strength training group on MFP. I would welcome your friend request.
  • Inkybit
    Inkybit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    do what feels right. it's your body, you have to live with it not them. I'm at my goal and I still get told stuff like that.... but I look in the mirror and I see a happy healthy me. I got told the whole time " you don't need to lose weight" mind you they were tiny b*s that told me that too.... they be jealous you will be hotter. keep on the good path and never look back!!
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the people who say these things are always heavier. And usually very unhappy with their bodies. I never get someone thinner than me or someone who is happy at their weight saying "you're getting too skinny".