Allergic to milk and don't like coconut

Options
I have been dabbling in paleo for a while now and am looking to expand my recipes. I am allergic to milk and can't consume it in any form. I don't like coconut. I can taste it no matter how little or light the flavor.

So many recipes call for coconut milk, what can I use instead?

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    almond milk?depends on the type of recipe..if it's supposed to thicken almond milk probably wouldn't work but if it's just for liquid then go for it.
    There are many different types of milk substitutes:cashew,hemp,flax.The main thing is to find them without an added sweetener.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just watch out for boxed almond/flax/hemp milk with carrageean. It can promote inflammation.
    http://www.nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/story.cfm?content=190988
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Just watch out for boxed almond/flax/hemp milk with carrageean. It can promote inflammation.
    http://www.nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/story.cfm?content=190988

That's why you just make your own. Then, you can also use any nut, or combination of nuts that you want.

Soak 1 cup nuts for 24 hours, drain, blend with 2-4 cups of water (depending on how rich you want it), strain with a fine strainer, nut bag, or cheese cloth. Enjoy for the next 4 or so days.

If you need it for thickening, you may be able to substitute in a little xanthan gum or other "paleo-friendly" thickening agent, plus nut milk, to get the texture of coconut milk in the recipe.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Like anjelevil said, what are you looking to do with it? Chicken stock is also an alternative, depending on what it's for.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    How about learning to like coconut?

A hunter/gatherer lifestyle is about eating what presents itself, animal- and plant-wise. When one is always close to going hungry, one doesn't worry too much whether they like it or not.

When I started this, I had a slew of plant and animal dislikes. I've actually learned to enjoy most of them, and the few I still don't care for - I eat them anyway. Some because my wife likes them (like eggplant) so I make it for her; some because I'm learning that 'living to eat' encourages being indulgent about our likes and dislikes, while 'eating to live' means NOT being so.
  • snowbelle1017
    Options
    I don't have a particular recipe in mind, I've just noticed that a lot of paleo recipes include it.

meghanner - thanks for the heads up on carrageean. Definately don't want to encourage inflamation.

Dragonwolf - thanks for the recipe for making my own! That is AWESOME!

monkeydharma - I appreciate the input, but considering that coconut is really the only thing I just won't eat, and it is already being used as a substitute, I don't see the harm in using a different substitute.