Doing (or did) 30DS? Notice any height-related struggles?

Options
ReinaJaLaNa
ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
So, I'm in the middle of Level 2 of the 30-Day Shred, and -- as a 5'11"/6'0" female with extra-long legs (much longer legs than my torso) -- I was just wondering if I'm the only one who struggles with some of the 30DS moves that in some way largely involve the legs, like the first strengthening exercise (walk-out pushups, I think?) in Level 2?

I've been pushing through, but it's so frustrating because I know some of the more average-height or shorter women are probably able to do these moves a lot easier.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Walk out push ups are killer for anyone! I'm 5'11" (tall girls rule!) and this was definitely my hardest move during level 2. Keep at it! It gets easier! Then you move on to level 3 and have a whole new set of challenges :grumble:
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" with a 36" inseam...all legs no torso. I haven't tried 30DS but I do have what I think are height-related struggles in Pilates...it took me several years to be able to do a proper teaser (I was over using my hip flexors to hold up my legs). One of my instructors told me that it was because I had longer levers than most to hold up with my core. Who knows but I sort of bought it :huh:.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2 and hated every minute of those things. We just have a longer way to go, so that makes it worse. I hated Level 2 overall and thought Level 3 was a lot more fun. Just do your best to push through it.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Enjoyment wise, Lvl 2 was more fun for me than lvl1 (have not got to lvl 3 yet)

My upper body strength is decent, and I enjoyed the walk out pushup, my biggest problem is lunges. I can do squats all day, but lunges? I'm not sure if it's a long leg thing, or a balance thing, or my just being un-co-ordinated thing.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you!! The walkout pushups weren't harder for me (except I do hafta do knee pushups), but I couldn't do them as fast because of having farther to go. I thought there were lots of height-related struggles in 30ds and RI30. JM is teeny tiny and it just made me grumble at her even more when we were constantly doing moves that looked so easy for a shorter person with smaller pivot points or fulcrum points or whatever (like all the plank moves! grrrr). I'm still convinced that the temporary disappearance of one of her backup girls in a level (of RI30 I think) was because she was so tall and couldn't do the crazy ridiculous moves on that level.
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you!! The walkout pushups weren't harder for me (except I do hafta do knee pushups), but I couldn't do them as fast because of having farther to go. I thought there were lots of height-related struggles in 30ds and RI30. JM is teeny tiny and it just made me grumble at her even more when we were constantly doing moves that looked so easy for a shorter person with smaller pivot points or fulcrum points or whatever (like all the plank moves! grrrr). I'm still convinced that the temporary disappearance of one of her backup girls in a level (of RI30 I think) was because she was so tall and couldn't do the crazy ridiculous moves on that level.

I completely agree with you. I won't touch this workout. I am only 5'11.5" and know I would have a hard time with this. My club is bringing in a JM 30 minute shred this Fall that I will not be doing :P. If I am going to drag my butt to a club I want more than a 30 min workout class. I already complain to my dh when my Body Pump class is trimmed by 5 minutes when they are running late in schedule :P.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    With the walkout push-ups I try and make sure to take big "steps" with my hands to eliminate the time issues; instead of starting with my hands near my feet I use that time to take the first big step out so that I can be ready within a three-count. Getting back to the starting position is a bit tricky, but still doable even with my build (I told my husband I'm like a kid drawing - legs with a head on top). :smile:

For squats I typically go with a sumo squat variation as that seems to be far nicer on the knees, and easier to pull off when trying to pace with JM.

I really need to bust out that DVD again, it's been awhile and I can't remember what all it encompasses.

All that being said, I'm going on two years of Pilates classes which has helped enormously with both flexibility and learning how to work my long limbs to my advantage.