The Planning Stage

Options
nickdemarco
nickdemarco Posts: 61 Member
Hi, all. I'm Nick DeMarco, and I had sleeve surgery in November, 2011. Congratulations - if you're reading this, I'm guessing you're seriously considering some form of bariatric surgery. Where are you at? What's the one thing (or more) that you're apprehensive about? Maybe some experienced post-surgical "losers" can help.

Some tips as you consider the surgery option:

Find a good surgeon. Often, your surgeon will know of a good support group as well. Often, good hospitals, including Centers of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery, will sponsor one. I found that having a reknowned set of competent professionals, and a support group that meets at least once a month, helped immeasurably.

Include your loved one(s) in the discussion. My wife came with me to the initial consultation and support group meetings, and it made the decisions I faced much easier to make. Your family has to make some adjustments to your new lifestyle, and it helps when they're in the know.

Investigate the types of surgery - not just reading and research, but speaking to veterans of these surgeries. Find the right one for you. I went to the initial consultation thinking about the lapband surgery, but ended up with the sleeve surgery almost 2 years ago. 115 pounds later (lighter?), I don't regret my decision. But it was only in our support group that I was able to comprehend the reality of the various choices of surgery, by talking to others who'd had these different types done.

Know that it's not a "magic bullet". It IS magical, and it will help you lose weight at bullet speed, but you have to "put in the work". Explore what that work is. Do not be put off by the spartan description of small portions of food. Pre-surgery, you cannot conceive of the concept of eating that small an amount of food at a sitting, but afterward, everyone that I know was surprised at how easy it was to eat that little.

My last point is something you'll hear almost every bariatric surgery veteran tell anyone who'll listen: "It's the best decision I ever made." We all can't be mistaken, can we?

Good luck, and keep posting.

Nick

Replies

• nickdemarco
    Options
    A note about timetables.

Expect a fairly long wait, even after you're convinced of the need for this surgery. Most insurance (and trust me, you don't want to pay out of pocket for this) will require several "just to be sure" visits to a weight control group before approving the surgery as covered. This could take several weeks, and typically several months. (My surgeon's office qualified as weight control visits, so it wasn't hard, but was time-consuming.) I have heard that some patients, especially those who are medically necessary, get "fast-tracked", but not often.
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am working through "the checklist". My PCP is very on board so that is helpful. He gave me recommendations, referrals and I am making all of the calls today since I am not working till noon. I had my first visit with the nutritionist and she was great. I am in the "losing 5% of my weight" stage. My plan is to sit with the binder they gave me and organize all the material, make the appts and create a short shopping list including the vitamins and shakes. I am doing a shake for breakfast right now to start getting used to it and so far I like it!
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    I am doing a shake for breakfast right now to start getting used to it and so far I like it!

Some of my friends at our support group regularly drink a shake for breakfast, or some other part of the day. Every time we blend one up and before we take the first sip, we like to 'toast" each other, and all of our fellow bariatric veterans (and vets to be)! Even if no one's around, it's a nice gesture of solidarity... Try it!
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I will! Have a great day!
  • CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Kim, and I am one week away from surgery. I did the planning, research, etc. and looked at the reasons for ME to do it - the fact that I GAINED 15 lbs. working out 3 days/week for an hour each time, was what sent me to the surgeon. Stinkin' thyroid disease did this to me. I'm like a big ol' magnet, and the pounds are iron filings.

I have spent the past month looking for pre-surgery/post-surgery foods and protein powder supplements. I found some great liquid vitamins by Centrum, and some different protein shakes. The vanilla ones taste like McDonalds milkshakes to me. Not sure if I like that.

Right now, I have to keep telling myself that the weight will not magically be left in the operating room. I have to work at this - walk more (my goal is the Walgreens down the street from my office building) and just MOVE. The gym route is not for me, so I am looking into other options - dance classes, karate classes... but I work until 6 pm so finding something to fit the schedule is a challenge.

Nick, thanks for posting and sharing your journey. HOW did you get through the pre-surgery week?! I'm STARVING!!!