Haters?

Options
There are many Medifast haters on the myfitnesspal forums. I find it ridiculous that so many people would get on a weight loss/fitness SUPPORT forum and make self-righteous and judgmental comments. Their ignorance is showing. . .

Replies

• PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't mention it there. It's easier to stick to forum sections specifically for MF.

In their defense, on the surface of it, it does sound 'fishy' - if only because it's been so drilled into the common consciousness that a very-low-calorie diet is "dangerous". That riles them up, and they're not prepared to listen further.

Also, too many people are self-righteous about weight loss. It's part of the whole 'fat-shaming' culture. If you are overweight, there must be something morally wrong with you, and if you are thin, you must be more virtuous than others, and if you want to go from fat to thin, then you *must* do it the 'righteous' way, or it doesn't 'count'.

Which of course means 'the way they did it', or, the way where you deprive yourself and punish yourself as penance for being fat in the first place.

I don't want to deal with those attitudes (even if some of them are well-meaning, if only because a person is afraid for your health), so I keep MF to myself.

If running themselves ragged works for them, fine. I don't judge. But if that's their prescription for me, they can stuff it. I've tried that, and it never worked for me. This works, and the bonus is that it isn't even hard.

And doesn't that suck for them? Jealousy that someone else doesn't have to work as hard as they are, is not as 'righteous', yet gets the same results.

I'm at the point now where I've lost enough weight that if a personal friend asks how I did it, I'll tell them, but otherwise I keep it to myself. I'm just non-confrontational, and don't want to get into it, you know? Proselytizing is annoying in any form.
  • Ladyshaf
    Ladyshaf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Having myself tried just about every diet out there, I find it ridiculous that people would take the time to focus on hating a certain group of dieters/their diet when they could be focusing on themselves and how to make themselves healthier. We all need the support that these MF forums gives us. It is HARD and we need to surround ourselves with positive people. Screw the haters. Message and befriend me if you want another friend to help you stay positive. It's a struggle for us all!
  • AJisCommittedtoSuccess
    Options
    "Also, too many people are self-righteous about weight loss. It's part of the whole 'fat-shaming' culture. If you are overweight, there must be something morally wrong with you, and if you are thin, you must be more virtuous than others, and if you want to go from fat to thin, then you *must* do it the 'righteous' way, or it doesn't 'count'. "

That just about sums up a lot of what I've been seeing lately. I can't believe they call it "support". Thank you both very much. You've both given some very wise advice. :)
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I see this all the time with people doing the program. People really don't "get it". Just keep doing what is right for you and stick with people who support you! The "haters" will be eating their words:)
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I soooo agree! I remember getting so upset about it for the first couple of months. One guy wrote "Your fat because you eat fast food" which, btw, I don't. Spelling error was included. His icon was the General Lee.

The assumption that it's all your fault you've gained weight is ridiculous. I remember when i was back in my 20's - reading magazines and being completely judgmental about all of the diet advice. "Just work out!" I thought. "Eat a salad!"

Also, people judge you not only for being overweight, but for the WAY you lose it.

I remember in the late 90's trying Atkins.... I'd go to a restaurant and order a cheeseburger with no bun or fries. Multiple waitstaff felt the need to lecture me about how "unhealthy" Atkins was. Granted....I knew that. But I was like...."Thank you Dr. Waitress...are you putting yourself through medical school?" But think about it for a moment - how many calories would i have eaten with a whole plate of fries and a giant bun? I don't remember anyone lecturing me about ordering a hamburger and fries. Never has anyone given me a lecture about ordering a hamburger and fries, except for close family.

There comes a point when you don't have enough time to spend 2 hours a day at the gym, which is what it took for me to lose weight through most of my 30's. I don't understand why people spend so much time judging what may be the only way for someone to lose weight? Isn't it better not to be obese? The faster you become not obese, isn't that better for your heart and health?

All i can think is that many of these people will one day hit a weight loss wall. They'll get pregnant and be forced to bed rest, they'll have a health issue, they'll get old and won't be able to run 15 miles a day.

And they'll try to eat only salad and it won't work. Then they'll feel the fear...maybe they'll be like this forever. So, i just stay out of the forums most of the time, and i don't friend anyone who has not at least tried medifast.
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't even read the forum posts anymore. There are soooo many negative people on my fitness pal period. Everybody thinks that if you don't just eat healthy and exercise that you are cheating the system. Well if just doing that worked for everyone you wouldn't even have a myfitnesspal to begin with. Some people need help and need supplements and I for one, am one of them. Medifast is the best program that I have ever used HANDS DOWN and I have tried them all.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't even read the forum posts anymore. There are soooo many negative people on my fitness pal period. Everybody thinks that if you don't just eat healthy and exercise that you are cheating the system. Well if just doing that worked for everyone you wouldn't even have a myfitnesspal to begin with. Some people need help and need supplements and I for one, am one of them. Medifast is the best program that I have ever used HANDS DOWN and I have tried them all.

Don't listen to the haters. They are just misinformed. And what people don't realize is that the Medifast food IS HEALTHY! Have you looked at the back of the package? There are so many vitamins in the food! Ya, sure the food is a bit different than going to the grocery store and buying 100 calorie packs of threats that you want to calculate into your calorie intake. BUT there is more nutrition in it. People also do not understand how much fresh healthy food we eat in our L&G meal. Its more fresh veggies and lean protein than most Americans eat on a daily basis.

I love that the food has so many vitamins in it. For me, when I was eating it every three hours it was like being put on a vitamin drip so that I could delve onto the book and work book and get my head straightened out. I was no longer overwhelmed and burdened by choices and triggers. I was able to really take a good hard look at myself and figure out what part I played on becoming overweight in the first place.
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Isn't is crazy how peopl ewho have not tried the program say how bad it is.......I like that it is backed by actualclinical studies and was designed by Johns Hopkins doctor..... I had a friend say I was starving myself....she had no idea:) It is nice to see this group here....All I know is MF worked for me....went from a size 16 to a 6 and now have perfect blod pressure.
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    Its your $$$

Its your life

F##k em
  • ryansmommie68
    ryansmommie68 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I joined Medifast, I quickly came on to MFP and searched for boards with people also doing Medifast. I was surprised to see how many negative comments I found. I'm actually pretty scared to make any comments on any other boards. I'm so glad you are all here! :)
  • ryansmommie68
    ryansmommie68 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I joined Medifast, I quickly came on to MFP and searched for boards with people also doing Medifast. I was surprised to see how many negative comments I found. I'm actually pretty scared to make any comments on any other boards. I'm so glad you are all here! :)

Today is my first week weigh-in. Excited to see how I do!
    Have a great day!!