Body media band for TDEE

Options
2»

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Does anyone ever have activity measure less than 1 MET?

When I'm in deep sleep, sometimes I'm at .8 METs, but typically that lasts 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there.
  • itstheamarie
    itstheamarie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    INTERESTING! my METs are always 0.7-0.9 while I'm sitting or sleeping. Something is not right. I guess it's not working for me... :-(
  • itstheamarie
    itstheamarie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to give me the same cal/min (~1.2) while I'm sleeping as when I am sitting during the day. I find it quite suspicious, because I have been wearing it for a month. That comes out to 1,728 BMR, and my Katch calculated is more like 1,550. I wonder how this reflects the overall measurements, and what should I do about it?

(~5' 5", 184 lbs, 34-35% BF)

So the sensors aren't working well for you then. They didn't for me or from random poll on MFP about half the users that commented.
    So it has your BMR as higher, and it uses it for time that should be RMR.
    So that means your are getting inflated reading during sleeping time, and slightly deflated readings during awake non-moving time. I doubt they balance out nicely.
    Your moving time is based on weight, so that's fine.

If you want to help the device use your better estimated BMR values, use this spreadsheet.
    Fill in your details on Simple Setup tab, down to but not including the Activity Calc.
    Go to the FitBit_BodyMedia tab.
    If you have no tested RMR, delete the value.
    It will show you what height BodyMedia needs to be set to for it to calculate and use the same BMR as Katch.
    The problem here could be that RMR time that should be slightly higher, will be lower, but the calculation actually balances that out in giving you the height adjustment.

You can also take a look at the 3 methods of using the device with MFP, depending on your workout type and how much variance you want daily.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker

Track progress too with inches.

So this has me upping my height by 4", but wouldn't that make my RMR per BMF increase....? I was assuming that it was OVER estimating my cals while sleeping, so this seems opposite of what I was thinking to do- decrease my height so it doesn't over estimate my sleeping cals. HMMM... As my last post says, it has my METs between 0.7-0.9 while sleeping or sitting, so everything keeps pointing to this thing not really working well for me. However, when I plug in my numbers over the last month into the spreadsheet, it's within 100 cals of each other (BMF: 2200, spreadsheet: 2100)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So this has me upping my height by 4", but wouldn't that make my RMR per BMF increase....? I was assuming that it was OVER estimating my cals while sleeping, so this seems opposite of what I was thinking to do- decrease my height so it doesn't over estimate my sleeping cals. HMMM... As my last post says, it has my METs between 0.7-0.9 while sleeping or sitting, so everything keeps pointing to this thing not really working well for me. However, when I plug in my numbers over the last month into the spreadsheet, it's within 100 cals of each other (BMF: 2200, spreadsheet: 2100)

1st, 1 MET is resting awake energy burn, so that would be 1, and sleeping should be below that.
    If awake is below that, indeed heat sensors not working well.

It's over-estimating cal's sleeping, under other non-moving time. Which is greater?

The height adjustment is actually taken on an avg of BMR and RMR (tested or Cunningham formula). Figure that will help the most. Sleep then will be inflated for 8 hrs, non-moving awake time will be deflated for how many hrs?

If your weekly routine is pretty regular, I'd just go for the spreadsheet, unsync the BMF, and just keep it for motivation to walk more, and confirm the TDEE is still close, in case it changes steadily for some reason. And with that height adjustment, it should actually.
  • hamheather
    hamheather Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is my second week wearing my BMB and it is averaging around 2,700 calories per day. Some days 2,400 on non work out day and 2900 on work out days. I am getting .8-1 Met/ minute when I sleep and .9-1 Met/ minute when I am sitting. I do a lot of strength training and it reads that as moderate activity. My question is do you eat all of your TDEE with the body media band for body recomposition?
  • heybales
    Options
    This is my second week wearing my BMB and it is averaging around 2,700 calories per day. Some days 2,400 on non work out day and 2900 on work out days. I am getting .8-1 Met/ minute when I sleep and .9-1 Met/ minute when I am sitting. I do a lot of strength training and it reads that as moderate activity. My question is do you eat all of your TDEE with the body media band for body recomposition?

That would indeed be the idea. Because it'll probably underestimate on lifting calories, so you'll still have a slight deficit. Then again, some have reported seeing the cal/min increase in the 24 hrs post lifting workout, so if the sensors really work for you, that may even things out a bit, though still a deficit.

To confirm if the sensors are working well, look at the actual cal/min for sleep and sitting awake. Should be 150-250 if you look at the 24 hr difference, that's about the difference from BMR to RMR.
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    I wore a Body Media for almost a year and found that it was overestimating by about 300 cals a day. The Scooby calc, as well as heybales's super awesome spreadsheet, was much, much closer and so was my Fitbit (when any activity over more than a stroll was logged here on MFP).

How do you know that it was overestimating? Just curious because I have one.
  • Daymia
    Daymia Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! I calculated what BMF has for my RMR and BMR and came up with 1.33 cals for BMR and 1.15 for RMR. It sounds like it needs adjusting then but when I did the steps on the spreadsheet that you listed out, including deleting my tested RMR (unknown), the spreadsheet says that I should change the height on the device to 32.3 inches. Surely that cannot be right, correct? BMF won't even let me enter that low of a height.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I just got a bodymedia (well the gowear) and it seems accurate. I've had it about two weeks. Most days I burn about 2160 calories, which is about my calculated TDEE. On more active days, it's closer to 2600 calories. I'm 5'5.5", currently 131 lbs and approximately 20% BF. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between my BMR and RMR. BMR is about 0.95 calories/miin and RMR is closer to 1.05. However, that's ~1360 for BMR and ~1500 for RMR, which actually does make sense.

I'm getting my RMR tested today, so I can report here how close that 1500 is to actual. I do love this thing. I wish it were smaller and could be worn somewhere else, but I love it. And I love the idea of eating 2000 calories to get to my goal of 18% BF. I've been eating closer to 1800 most days, but now that I realize that's probably too big a deficit for what I want, I'm trying to get closer to 2000.
  • heybales
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! I calculated what BMF has for my RMR and BMR and came up with 1.33 cals for BMR and 1.15 for RMR. It sounds like it needs adjusting then but when I did the steps on the spreadsheet that you listed out, including deleting my tested RMR (unknown), the spreadsheet says that I should change the height on the device to 32.3 inches. Surely that cannot be right, correct? BMF won't even let me enter that low of a height.

So the RMR and BMR calcs are based on LBM, which of course come from the entered bodyfat % stat.

On the Simple Setup tab, how close were the 2 calculations for BF%?

And what was the calculated Cunningham RMR compared to the BMF 1656?

Also, sounds like the BMF readings for BMR and RMR are reversed. Could be possible, you could sleep real cold and so it measures body temp as being high to stay warm, but during the day it's more normal.
  • Daymia
    Options
    The 2 calculations were rather far apart: Navy = 55.44, Covert Bailey = 32.00, Average = 43.20.

Calculated Cunninham RMR = 1625.

The sleep part is interesting. Now that it is summer, I sleep with a fan on and usually wake up cold, then cover up and get hot, throw off a blanket and get cold, rinse and repeat all night long. Not sure how to measure that though.
  • heybales
    Options
    The 2 calculations were rather far apart: Navy = 55.44, Covert Bailey = 32.00, Average = 43.20.

Calculated Cunninham RMR = 1625.

The sleep part is interesting. Now that it is summer, I sleep with a fan on and usually wake up cold, then cover up and get hot, throw off a blanket and get cold, rinse and repeat all night long. Not sure how to measure that though.

So you are going to be a case of continually improving accuracy, unless you pop for a Bodpod test.

After you drop some inches, you'll usually find one of those calc's moves a whole lot more than the other, and since they mainly use different body parts for estimate, you'll likely know exactly which part saw the most drop.
    Usually the slow moving side of the range is closer to reality. And indeed the avg will move that direction slowly.
    So for a while, in theory it could appear you are gaining BF%, though inches are dropping. It's just becoming more accurate.

Which could mean you'd be adjusting the height every 2 weeks as inches drop.
    But I'd suggest that since it has already adjusted the RMR to what appears to be a decent estimate - skip the height change, the sensors are working for you.

Interesting that the Cunningham RMR is pretty close to the BMF daytime RMR.

Since night time BMR is only 8 hrs of day or less, and even some of that may not be that far off, not a big impact.

Depending on your workouts, I'd suggest least adjustments better, so Method 2 if at least half your exercise is what it's good at measuring.

Just keep looking at those daytime sitting cal/min burns to see if it's adjusting as the Cunningham seems to adjust too.
  • Daymia
    Options
    Great! Thanks HeyBales! Glad to know it's not as far off as I was thinking.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    So the tested results are...1580! Yay, more food! Test was easy, cheap ($45), and only took ten minutes. I highly recommend it.
    I just got a bodymedia (well the gowear) and it seems accurate. I've had it about two weeks. Most days I burn about 2160 calories, which is about my calculated TDEE. On more active days, it's closer to 2600 calories. I'm 5'5.5", currently 131 lbs and approximately 20% BF. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between my BMR and RMR. BMR is about 0.95 calories/miin and RMR is closer to 1.05. However, that's ~1360 for BMR and ~1500 for RMR, which actually does make sense.

I'm getting my RMR tested today, so I can report here how close that 1500 is to actual. I do love this thing. I wish it were smaller and could be worn somewhere else, but I love it. And I love the idea of eating 2000 calories to get to my goal of 18% BF. I've been eating closer to 1800 most days, but now that I realize that's probably too big a deficit for what I want, I'm trying to get closer to 2000.
  • trappedslim
    trappedslim Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later