Do other binge eaters experience this?

Options
Amber82479
Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
So, often when I binge, I think I sort of leave myself. It's like the eating takes over and I no longer think or feel anything. Every fiber of my being is consumed with the binge. And sometimes I don't even have a rational thought about what I'm doing to myself until it's all over... It's almost frightening to realize that during these times I am removed from myself (for lack of a better way to describe it). Do others experience this? Or are you in the moment when you binge?

Replies

• sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every time I binge:(
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I have also heard some people almost black out. They don't even remember eating the food!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's like an escape.

Being numb.

This is probably why people go to the binge, there are things in life they don't want to think about or emotional states they want to 'escape'.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I am hating myself for stuffing junk in my own mouth with my own hands, while it seems like I have left my body and zoned out and the binge just keeps happening meanwhile it's like watching this train wreck happening in front of me...:sad:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I am hating myself for stuffing junk in my own mouth with my own hands, while it seems like I have left my body and zoned out and the binge just keeps happening meanwhile it's like watching this train wreck happening in front of me...:sad:

Totally relatable. =(
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I think im the opposite. I know exactly what im doing I just dont care at the moment and then regret it after and have a tummy ache.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off binge cycles since Monday morning. OMG, it's like I can't stop myself. I had actually been doing pretty well for a while, my moods had been ok, my emotions had been ok now everything has went to chit. I feel like a drowning woman right now. This is the worst it has been in quite some time.
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am the other way round and hyper aware of the food, the empty wrappers and the calories effec...t but still it gets shoveled in,
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    It is like I am just consumed with the need to eat. Not like I am hungry. Just I have to eat. I feel like I am not in control and just continue to stuff my face until the point where my stomach hurts. Then I feel guilty after.
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I may need to empty all the food in my house and go to the store daily so I can have food to fix for my son to keep me from binging. If the food is here at some point in time I try to consume it all- at once..
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I may need to empty all the food in my house and go to the store daily so I can have food to fix for my son to keep me from binging. If the food is here at some point in time I try to consume it all- at once..

There is light at the end of the tunnel. You wont feel like this forever. I have been there, this will pass. Try distracting yourself with something fun.
  • runningcat76
    Options
    Yes, I definitely feel this way. Its like I obsess about food the whole time and when I binge its like a release from all of that and I can zone out. Its a relief for the time I am binging, but then of course the self disgust and guilt sets in.
  • jen_zz
    Options
    I cannot and must not have savoury crunchy snacks in family size. Whatever size it comes in, I will finish it to the bottom of the bag regardless of how full I am already feeling.
  • ElizabethMKE
    ElizabethMKE Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    YES. It's like food is my drug and I literally get into a zone and almost numb/zombie like. You're not alone in this by far. The key I've found, through therapy and ABA (Anorexics and Bulimics Ann.) is too recognize the triggers; why are you bingeing? What feeling(s) are you avoiding? What can you do to distract yourself in that moment? It helps to make a list of distractions, (painting your nails, doing a crossword, take a shower, read for 5 minutes, walk around the block) and then see if you do 3 of the distractions on your list - if the urge has subsided. Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions! And feel free to friend me!
  • jen_zz
    Options
    YES. It's like food is my drug and I literally get into a zone and almost numb/zombie like. You're not alone in this by far. The key I've found, through therapy and ABA (Anorexics and Bulimics Ann.) is too recognize the triggers; why are you bingeing? What feeling(s) are you avoiding? What can you do to distract yourself in that moment? It helps to make a list of distractions, (painting your nails, doing a crossword, take a shower, read for 5 minutes, walk around the block) and then see if you do 3 of the distractions on your list - if the urge has subsided. Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions! And feel free to friend me!

Those are great suggestions. I feel like physically getting up and getting out of the house say to walk my dog really helps.
  • coutureaffair1992
    Options
    I definitely feel this way to some existent, which is why I'm so afraid of myself or when I'm going to do it next because Its like I have no control. But we do! We've got to stop torturing our bodies and I believe supporting eachother can go a long way. Definitely add me if you'd like!
  • Allovera21
    Options
    I never thought about it before, but now that you've mentioned it, I do experience something similar. "Leaving yourself" is such a perfect way to describe it. That feeling of complete detachment. I don't even try to tell myself to stop because I know it's no use. I feel like my body is not my own. I have no control, all I can do is to observe and wait until it passes. I don't even think about the food I eat, don't enjoy the taste. It's a completely mechanical action devoid of any sort of pleasure. The only thought I have in the back of my mind is about how much I'm going to hate myself afterwards.