Roll Call - Do You Attend a Support Group?

Options
nickdemarco
nickdemarco Posts: 61 Member
INTRODUCTION...

New to the group, or visiting? Let us know what group you regulary (or irregularly) attend: name of group, if any (hospital or surgical practice is often enough), city and state (country, too), and how frequently you meet. Tell us about your meetings: how long are they, who facilitates, how many typically in attendance.

Finally, tell everyone your impression of the group. Has it helped you in your journey? What was the "best meeting ever"? What made you uncomfortable?

If you wish, you can provide details of the regular meeting schedule and location for others to use, although it might be better to leave an e-mail address (or phone number if you dare) of a moderator or regular attendee to contact for up-to-date info, as meeting details frequently change.

Are you looking for a group to try? Make sure you include your city and state info, and maybe someone will have a recommendation for you!

Replies

• nickdemarco
    Options
    I attend the Our Lady of Lourdes Bariatric Surgery monthly support group near Camden, New Jersey, on the 3rd Monday of each month. Lately our venue has changed, so contact me at nick@cyberjudo.org for info about the next meeting if you're in the Philly/South Jersey area. We meet for about 90 minutes, and the format is ever-changing. Our facilitators, Monica and Dana, try to have a "feature" agenda item that focuses us for that meeting, and they do a great job planning it.

Last month they invited the Executive Chef, John, from Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden, to demonstrate healthy grilling techniques and recipes for summer cooking. Fantastic! He had a very cool indoor grill, and prepared kabobs and grilled some fresh fruit as well. (Interesting idea for you to try. Cut pineapples into long spears and grill them for a few minutes. Easy! Tasty!) Afterward, we all noshed on healthy fruit, chicken and vegetables and shared helpful tips about our new lives.

Many of us know each other by first name, and have been attending for more than a year. A few stay in touch outside the meeting.

A second, additional support group meeting for OLL Bariatric takes place on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at the OLL Hospital in Willingboro, NJ if you're interested. I can get you those details as well.
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    QUESTION: does anyone know of a professional association or national group that consolidates bariatric surgery and/or health support groups around the US?
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have not attended a Bariatric support group yet because the only one near me is held on the one night a week that I work till 8:00pm! Good news though....my NUT gave me a sheet that says there is one in Rhinebeck ( I live in Poughkeepsie, NY) that runs on Tuesday nights Woooot!!!! I am planning on going to that one as soon as I call and get the info. I also attend Overeaters Anonymous. I find it really helpful and they meet every week.
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Is New Hyde Park near you?

State: NY
    City: New Hyde Park
    Doctor: Garber, Shawn MD
    Are patients from other practices welcome at your Support Group? Yes
    Are you willing to follow other surgeons' patients in your office? Yes

Support Group Leader's Name: Shawn Garber MD
    3003 New Hyde Park Rd., Suite 307
    New Hyde Park, NY 11042
    Phone: 516-616-5500
    Fax: 516-616-5533
    Email: shawn@nybariatric.com

Found it at this site: http://asmbs.org/support-group-directory/

Check it out - the only drawback is that every group in New York State is listed there, so you may have to browse the cities until a few familiar ones come into view.

Rhinebeck is an exciting alternative for you as well. I fondly remember many Sundays at the Old Aerodrome from my youth...
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks Nik, Hyde Park is quite close to me! This is very helpful!!!!!
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Sure thing, Kali - let me know how your support group experiences go. That goes for everyone!
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Near Philly? Meeting tonight at 6 pm in Pennsauken, NJ (near Cherry Hill, NJ) at Lourdes Care Medical Offices, Route 70 and Brace Road corner.
  • poliscmjr
    poliscmjr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm here!! It's me Lindsay! I went last night to the Cherry Hill support group. It was so nice to you see last night.
  • Congorob
    Options
    Hello my name is Cheryl I attend the group at Laredo medical center in laredo tx I am scheduled for surgery on aug 27 I find the group helpful and have the best support laying beside me in bed my husband had the surgery 2 years ago.
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Hey, Cheryl! Hope your surgery went well! Like you and your husband, I'm coming up on my 2-year anniversary, and my wife, Cathy, just got her sleeve surgery in May! Couple-power!

If anyone's from near Laredo, let Cheryl know!
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm just 5 weeks out from my bypass, and getting started with the support group with the Kane group in the NW suburbs of the Chicago area. Great program so far in all the preparation stages, looking forward to meeting others through the support groups.
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Excellent news, Ruby! Check elsewhere on this site for good suggestions about program content. Anyone else out there from Chicagoland? Let Ruby know!