Constipation in Pregnancy

Options
mommyshortlegs
mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
A nightly 250-500mg dose of magnesium (in tablet form): Not working for me. Metamucil, fiber chewables, prunes, etc.; similar non-results. Any other tips for relieving pregnancy constipation?

Replies

• ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    a hot beverage....tea, coffee even water. Also increasing water intake sometimes works.
  • roxyj0mar
    roxyj0mar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Milk of magnesia works for me.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Lots of sugar (like sit and eat a huge box of chocolates) or Lactulose (a sugar solution) and wash it down with pure apple juice or prune juice. Sugar might be lacking from your diet and some problems are worth one day of destroying your calorie count!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I'm on zofran and phenergan for vomiting, both cause constipation! The only thing that has worked for me is Miralax. And since I can mix it into whatever I want I have an easier time keeping it down that milk of magnesia, etc.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I had horrible constipation in my other three pregnancies, but since I've started tracking what I eat I don't have it this pregnancy. It may be caused by the iron and calcium supplements in the prenatal vitamins, I looked for a prenatal supplement that is a bit lower in those two and get the rest of my required iron/calcium through diet. This pregnancy I was only constipated two times so it's working! This is also the first pregnancy I'm not deficient in iron. Eating some prunes or dates might help but if nothing else works ask your family Dr. or pharmacist what is safe for pregnant women, many stool softeners are safe and effective.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Miralax....it works wonders! Nothing else has worked for me.
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was taking colace occassionally or drinking prune juice (so gross!) but more recently discovered the perfect cure for me was dried mangoes! Delicious and very effective (at least for me!) I just have to be careful not to eat too many or my problem swings the other way. :embarassed:
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Plum juice really helps and it tastes better than prune juice. And drink lots of water...LOTS.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Kiwifruit works for me.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I started taking my prenatal at night and doing 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vingegar from Braggs every night and it helped a lot. It went completely away after I started probiotics though.
  • Kina7
    Kina7 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm having this problem as well but I think it has a lot to do with me not getting enough fiber. I'm trying to increase my water intake as well. So far I've been getting in about 50oz a day but I'm shooting for 64. I have magnesium and plan to try that too.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Lots of sugar (like sit and eat a huge box of chocolates) or Lactulose (a sugar solution) and wash it down with pure apple juice or prune juice. Sugar might be lacking from your diet and some problems are worth one day of destroying your calorie count!

I know this goes against the grain of thinking but it's the only way I can sometimes get moving. I told my boyfriend the other day I needed greasy Carl Jr and a big fruit punch. I don't think I'd do it all the time, but it works.