Paleo Snacks for Hiking

Options
Going for a big hike tomorrow and it'll be hot! Mid 80's. Have some uncured meat sticks, raw trail mix, carrot sticks, blueberries, grape tomatoes packed for snacks. Any other paleo ideas I should be thinking of that can withstand heat and a backpack?

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Going for a big hike tomorrow and it'll be hot! Mid 80's. Have some uncured meat sticks, raw trail mix, carrot sticks, blueberries, grape tomatoes packed for snacks. Any other paleo ideas I should be thinking of that can withstand heat and a backpack?

Looking forward to hearing answers to this. Also, how do you approach camping (addressed to everyone who has eaten paleo while camping with the family)?
  • aps81
    aps81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few Lara bars and Quest bars that are Paleo friendly...they keep great in the heat. Quest bars are great (lower in cal, higher in fiber and protein and most are all natural). I keep them in the car for those after-gym moments and haven't had issues. They sell them in most nutrition stores and come in a variety of flavors.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    We take Tanka bars and jerky when we go hiking, or Lara bars. I don't like sticky/salty/dusty food when I can't wash my hands, so I try only to take items that I can either hold onto the packaging or that truly don't leave food residue on your hands.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options

Looking forward to hearing answers to this. Also, how do you approach camping (addressed to everyone who has eaten paleo while camping with the family)?

I don't go camping (no bathroom = not happening), but for snowboarding (and therefore, I would guess car/RV camping), we bought a mini propane grill to grill out whatever we want, just packed in a cooler.

Although not necessarily grain free, there are lots of gluten free freeze dried meals on the market now. I taste tested a couple at REI and they were actually decent.