How many Carbs do you eat a day?

Options
Bertie02
Bertie02 Posts: 51 Member
My days have their ups and downs but I'm finding that I feel best around 100-125 total carbs (not net). I'm finding I'm able to keep my BG under 100 almost all day (again there seems to be a few ups and downs) and I've been able to consistently lose weight. If I go much higher for a week straight I either stall or gain.

So how about you?

Replies

• kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I tried the 100 range, and wasn't seeing results, so I dropped it to 60-65. So long as I remember and keep it in that range, the numbers are coming down, but when I blow it for even 2 consecutive days, it takes at least a week to get it back into the low 100's. Still trying to coax the fasting numbers down on a consistent basis. Low 100's are the norm right now, but I would much prefer to see double digits as the norm. Though, through out the day, once I get moving, low 80's are where they hover between meals most days it seems.
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I usually have between 70 and 100 grams a day. This seems to work for me since my last A1C was 5.5, the lowest it has been in years. However, I think it varies with the individual.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I try very hard to stay under 100, but if I exercise I usually go over.

I don't use net carb counts either .... too tempting for me. :)
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I try to stay in the 70 to mid-80 grams range, although at times it sneaks into the 100's. I like my fruits and veggies (especially those!) too much to go much lower.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    30-50 total carbs or 10-30 net. That gives me enough for 4-6 servings of vegetables. I don't do grains and fruits are a rare treat.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have only recently been able to hit below 100 numbers. Nutritionist told me to stay around 150 daily.
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist wants me to stay at 30-grams for three meals per day. We'll see if she's on track or not. In one week I've gained 3-lbs. Not cool.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I try to keep under 135 net carbs per day. I would have concerns about the long term impact of consistently going under under this target.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    So long as I remember and keep it in that range, the numbers are coming down, but when I blow it for even 2 consecutive days, it takes at least a week to get it back into the low 100's. Still trying to coax the fasting numbers down on a consistent basis.

I've noticed this too!
    I can be trending downward but it I slack off even a little it takes me at least a week (closer to 10 days) to gain back the ground I'd lost :ohwell:

That being said...I can only tolerate < 10 g of carbs in a meal & only in the early part of the day when my control is best. I seem to gradually see an increase towards the afternoon.

Total for the day is < 30 g and all must be from veggies.

ETA: I eat to my meter
  • Darlekins
    Darlekins Posts: 44
    Options
    I try to keep under 135 net carbs per day. I would have concerns about the long term impact of consistently going under under this target.

What long term impact are you concerned with? I know all about the long-term impact of uncontrolled diabetes and none associated with very low carb intake, so I'm truly curious.

I follow a ketogenic diet - 20-30 grams of carbohydrate. This allows me to generally have normal blood sugar readings of less than 100 (fating), less than 140 (at peak) and an A1c of 5.4. Because my pancreas produces only very minimal insulin (LADA), I do use insulin to help with control, but keeping my carbs very low allows for much lower/more accurate insulin dosages and reduces swings into hypoglycemia and then a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows

Bernstein's Law of Small Numbers - http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/drbernstein/article1.htm
  • FrogFaerie
    FrogFaerie Posts: 11
    Options
    I've noticed this too!
    I can be trending downward but it I slack off even a little it takes me at least a week (closer to 10 days) to gain back the ground I'd lost :ohwell:

That being said...I can only tolerate < 10 g of carbs in a meal & only in the early part of the day when my control is best. I seem to gradually see an increase towards the afternoon.

Total for the day is < 30 g and all must be from veggies.

ETA: I eat to my meter

I too stay in the 30 range, all from veggies with the OCCASIONAL fruit for a "sweet" treat. So far it seems to be working. My A1C has gone from 9.1 on March 18, to a 6.2 as of last week, plus 32 lbs down. I am still treating solely with diet and exercise, no meds. Still LOTS of room for improvement, but I am moving in the right direction.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    When I had my one meeting for DM education last year (crappy insurance), the RD I spoke with told me 140-160 carbs per day. I've been staying under 140 for the most part. I'm on Metformin 500 x2. A1C at diagnosis was 6.9, now 5.7. Only test once (post dinner) avg about 100 +/=
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs usually between 80 to 130 (average is around the 95 to 115 though)
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am back after a long hiatus. Last summer I went very low carb and lost weight, vastly improved PP BS readings and lowered A1C. My doc told me that I wasn't eating enough carbs! The traditional medical establishment wants us to have 30 carbs at every meal. However, there are others, some diabetes experts who have written books, that think otherwise.

I have gained back ALL the weight I lost last summer and am starting all over again. I try to keep carbs low but need to be much better. Right now I am aiming for under 100 per day. Then , maybe less. Good luck everyone:)
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My dietician wants me at 60 grams each meal. So far, I have failed her... I just can't get there without losing control. Plus, I cannot consume grains, and I am not a great fan of the potato... It seems difficult to get 60 grams from vegetables.

To answer the question, my best days are about 30 grams.
  • begleybob
    begleybob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this topic. I just started MFP and metformin about a week ago. I have been using the "traditional" 55:15:30 ratio for carb:protein:fat, which equates to about 195 g carbs per day. But after reading this string, I'm re-evaluating this strategy.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I generally stick to staying under 150 on days I don't work out, under 200 on days I do. However for the most part I listen to my body and adjust accordingly. I can't tolerate anything with high carbs or high sugars anymore. so the most I will have with a meal is 50g and even that is pushing it.

However bear in mind when I was diagnosed in December, my numbers were still in the 120's-150's. I have been managing without medication, so not sure if this makes any difference.
  • louwags
    louwags Posts: 6
    Options
    I just got lambasted by a know-it-all the other day for keeping mine below 70 (when I'm doing it right). This thread leaves me feeling quite vindicated!

For what it's worth, I don't trust dieticians very much at all. They're like accountants: you ask ten of them the same question and you get 10 different answers and none of them are specific!

--Wag--
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I just got lambasted by a know-it-all the other day for keeping mine below 70 (when I'm doing it right). This thread leaves me feeling quite vindicated!

For what it's worth, I don't trust dieticians very much at all. They're like accountants: you ask ten of them the same question and you get 10 different answers and none of them are specific!

--Wag--

I agree... Being diabetic is an individule thing. What works for one, may not work for others. Some can only eat 20 to 30 carbs a day or like you 70. Some can eat up to 200 a day. You just have to start out low in carbs and work the number up till the BS's are not where you want them. Then you know where you stand :)

For me. I was aiming for around 100 (not net carbs), but my sugars are dropping to low (and I quit taking my meds a few months ago). So I am slowly upping my carbs. I am eating more fruit/veggies to do this. I know I can't and never will be able to eat much in potato's, pasta, rice, breads etc. Just a little will shoot my sugar up too far. I also was taking cinnamon 3 times a day. I have backed that down to 2 and if sugars keep going too low, will go down to just ones a day or none.
  • tamsin66
    tamsin66 Posts: 10
    Options
    Can I ask you what a typical day of eating looks like on that regimen? Thanks!