Newly GF Vegan

Options
Hi Guys,

I've been a veggie for 20+ years but having been really ill for the past few years I recently saw a nutritionist who has established a nice long list of foods I have intolerances to and she is now moving me onto a GF Vegan diet. I've started today with a week long detox which she's provided the meal plans for but I'm sure the real fun will start once I have to start fending for myself!

It would be great to get any advice anybody has on taking this step!

Cheers
Claire!

Replies

• kdlfit
    kdlfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free is much easier than when I did it 15 years ago. There are so many options now that didn't exist even 5 years ago. Being gluten free AND vegan is doable, but not easy. I was vegan for 1 year and a half, but have added back in some animal protein since I also have Interstitial Cystitis and that limits my diet way too much. I would just encourage you to stay with gluten free to see if that is a problem for you for at least a year, then try gluten again and see how your body reacts to it. I get instant headaches and congestion. I feel like I have a hangover in the mornings if gluten has gotten into my diet by mistake. It's in soy sauces, and other things that you wouldn't think it should be. Hope this helps.
  • Bebe1000
    Options
    Hi. I'm trying to lose a lot of weight (30 lbs!) while staying vegan and gluten free. Sadly, I put on this excess weight AFTER becoming vegan, about four years ago. i started eating much more of foods, in my daily diet, that I'd always used previously in moderation: raw nuts, raw nut butters, good olive oil, dark chocolate, coconut based ice-"cream", etc... Allowing myself, nutritionally void, GF food "treats", as a reward for all the other restrictions in my diet. Bah! Now i'm losing the weight and the lax attitude. Could use some fitness pals.
  • RawinSeattle
    RawinSeattle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey, actually i'm in a similar boat.

I've been doing health thing for over a year, but met with a doc a few days ago, need to go full on Vegan and no gluten. Kind of scary, tomorrow is the day.

Not too big of a shock, been volunteering at Thrive for last 4 months, and I've learned a ton about cooking (could only make 4-5 dishes few years ago), now i have a Omega juicer/ food processor, and i'll be picking up a better dehydrator soon.

Haven't decided if i will do the full on Raw Food thing yet, but most likely since it's made for the Vegan/Gluten Free lifestyle.

Always seems like another bar to reach after you complete one thing. Up is a lot better than down though.

Good luck on your paths...

Feel free to add me... maybe i should have done a new post as well...

I'd be happy to help you in anyway i can, this whole thing is a little scare, nice to have support.
  • Sara13CH
    Sara13CH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance and have been GF for a few years. I still try to deny the fact that I have the intolerance once in a while when I am tempted with some foods. I have again started to really watch my gluten and feel great. Dairy has also been hit or miss with me. Right now I am trying to eat vegan and GF. Its totally doable. GF foods can be higher in calories and eating vegan can lean towards being higher carb if not monitored. Looking for some good tips and tricks to keeping calories and carbs down.
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Let me know what specifc tips you need. I have been gf vegan for about a year and doing (mostly) well with it. Hit my GW a few weeks ago. Keys for me = healthy whole foods for all snacks, planning ahead and taking the time to cook meals I know my body needs.
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try not to choose foods that are gluten free alternatives (such as breads and cookies and pretizels) you're right-- they are high in calories. Choose quinoa and sweet potatoes instead of bread or crackers, make your own cookies or healthy bars with gf oats.
    (I can send you recipes if you wnat)

Remember you will feel more full and satisfied on less calorie dense foods when you are eating high fiber and high water content foods (i.e. fruits and veggies).
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting down on my gluten, but my husband's recent bloodwork calls for him to go gluten and soy free and avoid a few other foods. We'd love friends to share vegan recipes and favorite products with. Today we made Ethiopian food! On Friday he made gluten free seitan! He worked off of these recipes, but I'd have to see exactly what he did.

Gluten Free Seitan AKA The Non-Wheat Meat
    INGREDIENTS
    1/2 bean flour
    1/2 rice flour
    1/4 tapioca starch
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1 tsp salt
    Paprika
    Cumin
    Pepper
    Dehydrated onions
    1/3 cup water or stock
    1/4 cup. Ketchup or tomato paste
    2 tbsp dairy free margarine
    2 tbsp Braggs
    DIRECTIONS

If you freeze your flours, make sure they all come to room temperature before you begin. Stir together the flours, starch, and yeast with spices. Make the usual well and add the margarine, ketchup or tomato paste, water or stock and Braggs. Stir to combine. You should begin to obtain a pie dough like state. If it feels too dry then add a bit more water.
    Preheat your oven to 350.
    Knead for 2 to 3 minutes then let it rest for 5. Shape as desired - roll, flat, etc. and cover with oiled or nonstick tin foil. Bake for 15 to 30 minutes. If a crisp exterior is desired, remove the dough from the oven early and finish baking uncovered.
    Let cool and savor the pleasure of seitan - sort of - once again!

Gluten Free Seitan:
    1/4 cup BRM Flaxseed Meal
    1/2 cup BRM GF Rolled Oats
    1-15 oz can Chili Beans or Red Beans, drained
    1 tsp Chipotle Powder
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    1/4 cup Instant Yeast
    Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and whirl until mostly smooth and tacky.  The flaxseed meal will make it a little gummy and sticky when it is processed enough. Let rest 5-7 minutes until it starts to swell if you’re cooking immediately, or refrigerate in a container at least double the size of the dough. Heat a pan with a little oil over medium heat.
    Dip a scoop or spoon in warm water before scooping the dough.
    Sear balls of the dough, slightly flattened for about 5 minutes per side and finish in the oven till mostly firm.  This makes a great GF meat alternative, perfect for veggie burgers (which usually have wheat in them) and can be easily tweaked for breakfast “sausage” or made less spicy.  Also, try searing and chopping up for nacho topping or tacos.
    - See more at: http://blog.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free/carly-talks-gluten-free-seitan/#sthash.tZkFGwcq.dpuf
    Gluten Free Seitan:
    1/4 cup BRM Flaxseed Meal
    1/2 cup BRM GF Rolled Oats
    1-15 oz can Chili Beans or Red Beans, drained
    1 tsp Chipotle Powder
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    1/4 cup Instant Yeast
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I eat almost exclusively following the Eat To Live and Eat For Health way, which I find is actually a gluten-free way to eat. I didn't mean to go gluten-free (just step it back some) but I find I feel so much better without wheat. There are lots of recipes for eating this way, it's super-healthy, and once you change your mindset about what a meal should be (i.e., big slab of cooked critter --or fake critter-- as the main dish), you have all sorts of freedom to eat a wide variety of gluten-free (and soy-free if need be) foods.

On another note, thanks for the seitan recipes. I have already cooked one mildly unsuccessful meal with it. Clearly I need to figure out how to cook it properly and then give it another try.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I've been doing health thing for over a year, but met with a doc a few days ago, need to go full on Vegan and no gluten.
    I wish I could find a doctor who actually recommends me going vegan or gluten-free? I've gone through five doctors in 2 years trying to find one who doesn't look at me like I'm a freak when I say I don't eat meat.
  • ElvenSong1
    ElvenSong1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for years. I never liked meatbut a few years back heard all in one day that I have Celiac and am allergic to daity and eggs. My diet changed immediately. Although I sometimes have cheated with a piece of something with daity in it, I will not eat gluten. Nice to find similar people :)
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm a gf vegan with an open diary if anyone wants a peek...

or a friend..