Keto Weight Loss Stall...

Options
JisatsuHoshi
JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
Keto Weight Loss Stall

Source: ( http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/22/Not-Losing-Weight-on-Low-Carb-Ketogenic-Diet-Dont-Give-Up-and-Read-Further)

You are not in ketosis, which you can confirm using ketone detection strips. There could be several reasons for that:

1. Your carbohydrate intake may be too high. Try to decrease your daily carbs limit. Also try to include coconut oil in your diet. Coconut oil consists of MCTs (Medium chain triglycerides), which are easily digestible, less likely to be stored by your body and are used for immediate energy. MCTs are converted in the liver into ketones, which helps you enter ketosis.

2. Your protein intake may be too high. If you eat too much protein, the excess protein converts into glycogen and disrupts ketosis. This is not the most likely reason, as it's not as easy to eat too much protein unless you take protein supplements.

3. You use artificial or other sweeteners that may interrupt ketosis. Some keto-dieters claim artificial sweeteners and even some sugar alcohols have a negative effect on ketosis. This issue has been recently debated but there are no conclusive results as to the effect of artificial sweeteners. As a guideline, beware of chewing gums, mints or any medications such as cough syrup and others that may contain sugar or sweeteners. Have a look at my recent post about suitable sweeteners.

4. Carb cheating / carb creep is another possible reason for not losing weight. You have to be really disciplined and aware of all carbs you eat. It’s a little nibbling here and there of the forbidden foods, leading to a carb creep, so make sure you count all carbs. In this video, Dr. Eric Westman explains the ketogenic diet and emphasizes that even eating mints may affect ketosis and weight loss results. Sometimes, even when a label says "sugar-free", it doesn't have to be "carbs-free"!

Note: You can be in ketosis without showing urinary ketones, but they can be found in your bloodstream. This could happen if your urine is too diluted due to high water intake and shows a marginal number of ketones. As long as you keep your net carbs low, your body will enter ketosis. You may even not be showing any ketons at all. This happens when your body gets fully keto adapted and uses fat for fuel. It’s not a bad thing and it doesn’t mean you will stop losing weight.

You are in ketosis but still struggle to lose weight.

1. The reason could be way too much fat and therefore calories in your diet. Fat contains twice as many calories as carbohydrates and protein, so it's important your fat intake lies between the recommended ranges. There is no diet where you can consume "unlimited" amounts of calories and still lose weight. Calories from fat should amount to 60-75% of your daily intake. When it comes to calories, it depends on your individual maintenance level and how much active you are.

Note: If you just started a low-carb diet, it may take some time for your body to get used to it and you will naturally eat less. Just give it some time. Low-carb diets are a lot more nutritious and sating as you will discover.

2. Also keep in mind that losing fat gets more difficult as you approach your ideal weight. My own experience is that if you need to lose a relatively small amount of weight like 5-10 pounds and your body weight is already at a healthy "natural" level, you will find it hard to lose more weight. The only way is to be careful about your caloric intake. In my case, this was eating up to 2,100 kcal a day (maintenance level + level of activity). As you can see, it’s nowhere near starvation :)

3. You put on weight over a short period of time. This could happen if you had more carbs (even once!) than your daily limit (e.g. you went to a party). As we have learnt before, there is a relationship between water retention and glycogen stores. If your body manages to store some extra glycogen, you also increase water retention. This happens literally from one day to the next. Don't panic, it's just water. Once you go back to your daily carbs limit it will take 2-3 days to lose the excessive water.

4. You may have a thyroid dysfunction and you are not aware of it. It only takes a blood test to find out - visit your doctor!

5. Stress is a big factor. When we are stressed out, our body produces a hormone called cortisol, which is responsible for storing fat round your stomach area (visceral fat) and makes weight loss more difficult. Try to relax, don't underestimate this factor. Find your own way to reduce it: try meditations, take a few days off work, go somewhere for a weekend or go for a walk. Stress is also linked to hypothyroidism and this badly affects your metabolic rate and as a result of that, you store fat.

6. Leptin and its satiety signalling is another possible factor. Fat is hormonally active and it sends out leptin, a hormone that tells us when we’ve had enough. As you lose fat, there will be less fat cells to do the job. This does not apply just to low-carb, but any diet. The question is how significant this factor is. If you eat food rich in fat and protein, this can be minimised.

7. Lack of sleep may be behind your weight stalling. It may sound as cliche but sleep is and absolutely crucial part of fat loss: Maximum fat loss is only achieved with adequate sleep, diet and exercise. Try to fall asleep before midnight and sleep for 7-9 hours. I don't expect all of you can afford to sleep for 9 hours, but take it as a goal :-)

Replies

• mrsek09
    mrsek09 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks for this. I have been hugely frustrated with my stall lately. I love the way being on keto for the past 10 months has made me feel, but like many, I started keto to lose weight, and I haven't really gotten anywhere.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah been shaky for me as well. Planning on lowering my protein count a bit to up some fats. So more like 70% Fats, 25% Proteins, 5% Carbs.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks for posting.
  • mrsek09
    mrsek09 Posts: 32
    Options
    You look amazing. I have found a far more informative, supportive group of ketoers here than anywhere else. I am learning a lot. I have seriously considered going back to the LF lifestyle I lived years ago when I dropped 90 lbs out of frustration with the lack of weight loss, but I feel so much better on keto.

Guess I just have to figure out what works for me.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been having a terrible stall...I went from 192, and have been fluctuating between 171 - 172 for the past 2 weeks....the only reason that may apply is stress, or hypothyroid.

Wish I had the money to check it...It's really infuriating.
  • SadKitty27
    Options
    I've been having a terrible stall...I went from 192, and have been fluctuating between 171 - 172 for the past 2 weeks....the only reason that may apply is stress, or hypothyroid.

Since for some reason I can't edit this...lol

I lost enough to get down to 169, but went back up to 171 - 172 and have been fluctuating for about 3 weeks. The only thing on the list that seems to make sense is either hypothyroid (which does run on my dad's side,) or stress....I really have been stressing lately - a lot.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I found this article really interesting.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Totally normal to sometimes have those stalls. Lyle McDonald gives the theory that your fat cells are losing stored triglycerides, but trying to maintain their current size - so they retain water. Then they reach a point where they just can't hold on anymore, and you see a "whoosh" of weight loss.

I can't see your diary. But a couple of other ideas:

Are you drinking enough? Try a few days where you increase even more (12-16 8-oz glasses). I find that my best losses are accompanied by awesome hydration. And I never lose when I'm under-water.

How are your calorie levels? Are you eating enough? Could you be stalling yourself by eating too few calories? Consider doing a cheat meal to shock your body (and to convince your body that you aren't in a famine, and abundant food is available).

Maybe try a day or two of increase fat levels. Try increasing fat by 5% for a few days and see what happens.

Good luck! You'll get there!!! Don't lose the faith.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey now, don't get discouraged. Frankly doing even 0.5 lb a week is good enough for me... I started Keto in April 1st and have lost "only" 8 lbs.

Slow and steady is essential to keeping it off...

Although according to MFP I am eating 1800 calories a day while theoretically needing 2400 calories to maintain with exercise... yet still only losing a little. I'll attribute it to the booze...

Since for some reason I can't edit this...lol

I lost enough to get down to 169, but went back up to 171 - 172 and have been fluctuating for about 3 weeks. The only thing on the list that seems to make sense is either hypothyroid (which does run on my dad's side,) or stress....I really have been stressing lately - a lot.
  • SadKitty27
    Options
    I'm trying to not let it get the best of me. I sort of had a cheat night the other day in hopes of breaking my stall (but I kept it keto, and funny enough my net carbs were still pretty low at 14 - albeit higher than usual.) I also had a jack and coke - that was the major cheat item.

I hope that night shook things up a bit ^^
  • diamonds4dmk
    diamonds4dmk Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am having a horrible time 6 weeks, no cheating and only 9 lbs. Using My Fitness Pal faithfully. Have it set to 20 carbs a day. Figured out my calories to lose weight with a calorie counter. Drinking plenty of water too. Never have gone over sugar. I am stumped except for the sleep.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am having a horrible time 6 weeks, no cheating and only 9 lbs. Using My Fitness Pal faithfully. Have it set to 20 carbs a day. Figured out my calories to lose weight with a calorie counter. Drinking plenty of water too. Never have gone over sugar. I am stumped except for the sleep.

1.5 lbs per week average is not a horrible time. That is excellent progress. I don't know how much weight you want to lose, but it won't be very, very quick. It's important to set realistic, achievable goals, and maybe don't even set a time frame at all. Most people on any weight loss plan would be thrilled with this rate of loss. You are doing VERY well.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am chiming in to second what sljohnson said...do you know how many people would LOVE to claim a 1.5 per week weight loss? I mean, if you can stick to it for a year, you will be OVER your goal. Don't get discouraged...because there is no linear weight loss program. Some week's you'll lose more then 1.5, but other weeks could be less...or a gain. Just keep it at. You must feel a difference in yourself after 6 weeks, focus on that. I think 9 lbs is a great loss, congratulations!!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I went through a 4-month stall over the summer before dropping my daily cals by 300 and recalculating the macros. Then the loss started again.

I think I just shrunk so much (~45 lbs) that I started needing less food, but was still mentally used to eating the old amount.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I went through a 4-month stall over the summer before dropping my daily cals by 300 and recalculating the macros. Then the loss started again.

I think I just shrunk so much (~45 lbs) that I started needing less food, but was still mentally used to eating the old amount.
    RPR;

Excellent point and a good reminder that everyone should be reviewing/resetting their "numbers" once a month or so.

While keto'ers aren't (for the most part) "counting cals" in the same sense that the CICOites are, they DO still matter in the overall scheme of things and an excess "in", even IF they are all "good", "LC", carbs it isn't going to result in overall body weight loss.

For those eating "to the numbers" for fat, carbs, and protein, it's important to remember that whatever those numbers are they add up to a total cal number whether or not one "thinks" they no longer have to be counting cals.

BTW - nice hat!

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I keto in conjunction with CICO and IIFYM (to use the forbidden acronyms). I find the two approaches (counting and keto) go together like longtime lovers: comfortable but still get the results that matter! ;)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    <snip>

While keto'ers aren't (for the most part) "counting cals" in the same sense that the CICOites are, <snip>

What is a "CICOite"? I am updating my Keto terms. Thank you,

Dan the Man
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    <snip>

While keto'ers aren't (for the most part) "counting cals" in the same sense that the CICOites are, <snip>

What is a "CICOite"? I am updating my Keto terms. Thank you,

Dan the Man

I presume it is someone who adheres strictly to the" Calories In - Calories Out" school of weight loss, wherein the composition of their diets matters less than the fact that they adhere strictly to a caloric deficit.

I did this before Keto and it worked just fine for me, but I prefer the keto.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    I keto in conjunction with CICO and IIFYM (to use the forbidden acronyms). I find the two approaches (counting and keto) go together like longtime lovers: comfortable but still get the results that matter! ;)

I do too but it's not super low calories and I exercise too. It's working great! I think the biggest issues tend to be:

1. Too many calories -- we have portion distortion and unhealthy habits to conquer too! Measure measure measure...
    2. Carb creep -- the carbs start coming in slowly due to lack of journaling
    3. Too much protein - can kick you out of ketosis (use a macro calculator)
    4. Too many processed foods. Diet foods seem appealing but getting back to the basics and making sure you are including leafy greens and low-carb vegetables are important!!

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I do too but it's not super low calories and I exercise too. It's working great! I think the biggest issues tend to be:

1. Too many calories -- we have portion distortion and unhealthy habits to conquer too! Measure measure measure...
    2. Carb creep -- the carbs start coming in slowly due to lack of journaling
    3. Too much protein - can kick you out of ketosis (use a macro calculator)
    4. Too many processed foods. Diet foods seem appealing but getting back to the basics and making sure you are including leafy greens and low-carb vegetables are important!!
    WON;

Very nice synopsis.

I might order them somewhat differently but you hit the "big four" OTM!