July Chat

Options
Might as well start it. Some of you are already into July. LOL
June was an ok month for me, could of been better. I have to really get back to being good this month. I have had so many doctor appointments and dealing with my leg pain, that I admit, I sort of just gave up, but NO MORE. I will be good again.

It has been hot past few days over 100. My pool from last year became non useable, thanks to someone whom I won't name. So I went online and ordered a new one, will arrive next week around the 8th, then for sure we will get rain again.

Hope you all had a good June and stayed the course.

Here's wishing all well in the month of July and beyond.

Replies

• Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    4th_july-24.gif
    patrotic_animated_4th-of-July-fireworks.gif
    July-first-Canada-day-glitter-animation.gif

Phoenix AZ heat has driven this Sunbird north to Duluth MN where I have been enjoying the cool and sometime right down cold weather. While it has been a rainy June, July is looking good...at least the first week :laugh:

I'm feeling right proud of myself as I made the June biking goal even with missing a week due to illness. And I've been able to maintain my weight even with traveling since late April -- talk about your NSV :bigsmile:

Happy July everyone!!!!
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    June has been pretty much of a holding pattern for me, though I lost a couple of pounds, very slowly. Managed to survive three layoffs since April, and have been busy at work. Took a few trainings to for my counselor certification renewal and will send that in on 7/1.

July and August, I like to go to a few performances at the Hollywood Bowl. Next week is Pink Martini, if I can get tickets! If not, I may just have to go out and buy one! lol! I always try to see at least one performance with Fireworks. They put on a wonderful display at the Bowl.

Will try to get at least a couple of good hikes or long walks in this month, as August is fast approaching and the Annual nana-Ashur adventure will require some stamina to hike in Yosemite national park. I'm very excited that this time, I get to purchase the Golden Pass, for seniors. It's good forever, at any National Park in the country! May be time for a Road trip in the next couple of years!
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You lost 41 lbs.! :explode: You ARE good. I should be half as good as you. :wink:
  • katiepeg46
    katiepeg46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started my journey early in June and it is July now. I did change my eating ways with he help of a nutritionist.
    I don't like to exercise because I am so out of shape that I get winded and out of breath very easily.

I pulled out my WII Fit and saw that I was down from the last time I used it and found my BMI was down a bit. I even walked on the treadmill a few times. Yesterday I did 1/2 hour. I realize that I need to do something every day because diet alone will not do it.

One good thing.....I am fitting into capris that I couldn't wear to Hawaii in April!!

This is a great site and I am glad that my nutritionist recommended it!

Kathy
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Happy July, everyone.
    Wooken: glad you're feeling better and that you were able to make your bicycling goal for June. That's wonderful. And I bet the cooler weather is a treat compared to AZ.

californiagirl: I'm sorry for all your pain but you know you can't give up. I know I can't understand your pain because I don't have it, but keep moving, it's very important. Also, if you're not moving, remember not to snack too much. Easier said than done right? Anyway, glad you're going to keep trying because that's all any of us can do.

katiepeg45: It sounds like you're doing a good job for just getting started. Congratulations!

This summer has been very busy for me with several weeks away from home doing grandkids care. At the end of this week 3 grandkids (11, 9, 6) will be coming here so hubby and I will be busy cleaning and straightening up to make room for everyone. Also, the granddaughter who is local will probably be joining us at least for 1 day. It will be a lot of work, but also lots of fun.

My challenge has been to find a way to do some exercise just for me during all this chaos. It's not that I don't get plenty of movement when I'm with them, but nothing that helps tone me up and keep me strong.
  • mindful53
    mindful53 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nice to be back after a bit of absence. Eating has continued to be 'up and down'. I'd really like to make July a consistently good month, as far as that goes. This will be a busy week, as finish up things in the office and pack for our week at a timeshare in Maine on Mt. Desert Island -- can't wait! Our daughter and her 16-month old baby girl, will be joining us, as well as our youngest son. Should be fun. I'm hoping for good weather so we can spend plenty of time outdoors. Acadia National Park is amazing.

Sounds like you'll have fun with the kids, gramanana. I'm sure all the preparation will be worth it! As far as exercise "during the chaos" -- how about trying for a real early walk? This combines movement with a little quiet time.

Wooken3 - congratulations on making your goal and maintaining the weight -- way to go -- definite victories!

Sorry to hear about your layoffs, phylsyl. Glad you survived. Times are really tough to be out of work. The Bowl sounds great. My DH and I used to go occasionally when we lived in Hollywood, years ago. I remember a wonderful concert with Itzak Perlman. I love walks and hikes -- Mt. Desert Island, on the east coast -- is terrific for this. Never went to Yosemite, but did enjoy other National Parks, back when I lived in CA.

Kathy - Great progress! Bet it feels wonderful to wear those capris. :-) I totally agree that we need a combination of good eating AND exercise. That's the only way to move forward consistently. Sounds like you're doing fine.

Best of luck to everyone else and enjoy the summer!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone........ for still being here and keeping going...it is easy to give up if things don't go too well..... but with encouragement from everyone here we can all get back on track........ small steps all add up....I am at a bit of a standstill but still feel good and that I am keeping on track.........

Welcome to July - let's hope for some good weather all over our world! :bigsmile:

Jean
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Joe_Atlanta Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Happy to see everyone sticking with it, if you never give up you never fail, you only have set backs.
    "this is the lesson:Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in.." - Winston Churchill

Seems a good time for taking stock. I started my journey back in October, daily 10 minute walks walks with our new dog. In November these increased to 15-20 minutes and I started thinking about eating better (cutting back on fried foods, processed, bleached bread and pasta and sugar). I made it through Thanksgiving and Christmas without gaining a bunch of weight and on the New year made a resolution to up the distance of my walks and really start eating cleaner (less processed food). After getting into trouble (lost energy and may have damaged some muscles in my back from muscle wasting) with a low carb diet in April, I joined MFP in order really learn how to eat a balanced diet that provided enough energy for exercise, yet still allowed me to lose weight. It has been a great learning experience and I've found this forum to be really supportive.

Mindful - My wife and I were on Mt. Desert Island for several days back at the end of May (my profile pic was taken there). Beautiful, Acadia is a gem!
  • gramanana
    Options
    Joe--I think you're doing great and you have written words to remember. I need to remember that, so thanks.

I joined MFP irregularly a year ago April because the doctor said I was a half pound away from being obese--YIKES! It took me a few months to really get into it. Then I learned I had an allergy to wheat and had to give up my breads, cakes, and cookies. That was a very hard thing to do. Since some form of wheat is in just about every thing, this is a very educational journey. I'm doing well with it, though and lost the weight I needed to lose relatively quickly. I'm told that now I'm at a healthy weight. Also, my BP has come down and I hope to get off the meds soon.

MFP has been a great place for me--supporting, encouraging, and educational. This group has really helped, too.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    That's going to be my new Motto.....NEVER NEVER NEVER ....... :bigsmile:

Jean
  • russlynne
    russlynne Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok...June was weird for me. dont know what I'm doing wrong. I know I have about 20-22 pounds to lose and so I did a reduced calorie diet for 3 weeks...no change. so I went on a higher protein/lower card diet with the same calorie count (1200) and still could not lose. so I just "gave up" and didn't watch ....and I I still didn't lose OR gain. I just don't know what else to do .

:ohwell:
  • gramanana
    Options
    Ok...June was weird for me. dont know what I'm doing wrong. I know I have about 20-22 pounds to lose and so I did a reduced calorie diet for 3 weeks...no change. so I went on a higher protein/lower card diet with the same calorie count (1200) and still could not lose. so I just "gave up" and didn't watch ....and I I still didn't lose OR gain. I just don't know what else to do .

:ohwell:

Sometimes it takes awhile for the body to give up the weight. I would suggest that you up your exercise and not eat back the exercise calories--just continue eating 1200 calories/day. The important thing is to NEVER give up!
  • katiepeg46
    katiepeg46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been on the journey for 1 month now. I have only lost 3.2 lbs but I can feel the difference in my clothes!!
    Changing eating habits is really very hard for me. I really have to work on it. Exercise is very hard for me. I decided to walk at the local mall. I can two of the floors complete in 30 min.

This is a great support group here.
    Thanks for all your help!!

Kathy
  • gramanana
    Options
    The DMV sapped all my energy yesterday trying to get in and out for my vision test and new license. It took 3 hours!!!! Glad I don't have to go back for another 4 years.

I did sit down and play the piano last night for about 20 minutes. I really do need to get some time in on the instruments before the grandkids get here on Sunday. The oldest (11) is so good on the violin. They all take/took violin lessons; the middle one (9) switched to flute this summer. Not sure if he'll stick with it though. They all love it when I play. They sit and listen and then clap. It's going to be great fun! Today, the Hammered Dulcimer.
  • russlynne
    Options
    Today, the Hammered Dulcimer.

I'm learning to play the strummed dulcimer. I love it's sound. I have a CD of hammered dulcimer music for the Christmas season and I love it. Next will be non-holiday music.
    I just need to practice more.
  • gramanana
    Options
    russlynne: I'm assuming the strummed dulcimer is a mountain or lap dulcimer. I have 2 of those, too. Took lessons on both the hammered dulcimer and mountain dulcimer. Beautiful music, but I don't play enough. Enjoy!
  • NeenAtlanta
    NeenAtlanta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wooken3 – Hello to Duluth! Joe and I have a trip to the Boundry Waters Canoe Area on our bucket list. That is one of my inspirations for getting into better shape!

Mindful53 – Joe and I just completed our first trip to Maine last month. We spend a few days in Bar Harbor, exploring Acadia National Park. Once there, we wished we had set aside more time, because that park and the surrounding areas are just so beautiful! Hope you have a great trip!

I ended June with a pretty good streak of days-in-a-row of some sort of exercise. That is my goal for July, to try to make it on a walk or to the pool every day. I did some grocery shopping today, and found some interesting new foods to try that look balanced and healthy. One of the nice side benefits of eating better, is that we are definitely spending less money on groceries & take-out food!
  • Wooken3
    Options
    mn_munger.gif
    The trail follows the route of the railroad that saved many lives in the historic Hinckley and Cloquet MN fires in the nineteenth century.

Biked the first leg of the Willard Munger State Trail today. It was a sunny 66F with a gentle wind to keep us cool and blow the mosquitos away -- this is Minnesota after all! Left Duluth and biked up to Carlton --lunch-- and then back to Duluth. In the next week or so my biking buddy and I will be doing Hinckley to Moose Lake and then Moose Lake down to Carlton. I will then purchase the T-Shirt proclaiming I biked the 70-mile Munger Trail!
  • Wooken3
    Options
    happy-fourth-of-july2.gif

"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism." ~Erma Bombeck

Be save everyone!!
  • russlynne
    Options
    russlynne: I'm assuming the strummed dulcimer is a mountain or lap dulcimer.

Yes it is a Mountain dulcimer. I had been wanting to get one for quite some time. I've been seeing them at several Civil War reenactments in the Sutler's Row. The couple selling them are from Ohio and they make them. I got a beautiful Black Walnut one with 2 halves of a black walnut on either side, I chose this wood because we had 5 black walnut trees in our back yard when we moved into our home 23+ years ago. I need to try to play it at least a few times each week....