New to this lifestyle - help please

Options
Prettygirl150
Prettygirl150 Posts: 31 Member
I'm new to this lifestyle and just wondering what have been your results with it? I decided to do it based on the recommendation of a friend of mine, so I'm slowly but surely making dietary changes. Question for everyone would be - what are good macro ratios of carbs/fats/protein for this type of lifestyle? I am assuming the 55/30/15 percent ratios myfitnesspal automatically sets would not be accurate.

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What is working for me is to set my carbs per Mark Sisson's recommendation for the "weight loss sweet spot" of between 50-100 grams of carbs per day. For me that works out to about 20% carbs (that's 73 grams for me). Someone here recommended a minimum of 50% fat calories (55% is working for me, she has hers set at 75% if I'm remembering right). That keeps you satisfied (I'm almost never hungry) and having high fat versus low carbs engages your body's fat-burning mechanism.

Good fats, though. Coconut oil, olive oil, bacon, avocado, meat from grass-fed animals if you can get it. (Otherwise I think you're supposed to eat leaner cuts because the bad stuff the animals take in is stored in the fat.)

That leaves (for me) 25% of my calories in protein.

Because of joint pain I'm on the autoimmune paleo/primal protocol, which means I've cut out almost all dairy, nuts, eggs, nightshades (potato, tomato, eggplant, peppers, paprika, chili powder, that sort of thing), and caffeine including chocolate. It was a little hard at first but now I'm not tempted at all -- the pain relief is such a great motivator. When I started paleo I went from gluten free (I had pretty much mastered the art of baking with rice/tapioca flours) and the occasional legume (peanut butter, split peas, lentils, chili with beans) to completely grain, legume, and sugar free.

It may sound like there's nothing to eat, but I'm amazed at the variety and tastiness of the food I'm eating now. I enjoy my meals and I'm never hungry.

If I eat more carbs (like the 55% MFP recommends) I'm hungry all the time and craving things I shouldn't eat. As far as carbs go, I eat mostly veggies, only a little fruit. I don't always make my goals and end up having to eat a cup of sweet potato mashed with butter for "dessert" after dinner to make sure I get enough carbs and calories!

Yesterday we were at a potluck and I ate more fruit than usual (a watermelon slice, some frozen cherries, and part of a peach). I went way over my usual amount of carbs, but was still just under 100 grams for the day. My joints are a little stiff today, which makes me wonder if I'm reacting to the sugar in the extra fruit. Ah, well, if so, I should be doing better tomorrow after a "usual" day of eating.

Hope this helps.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Best way to determine your macros is to figure out your TDEE, cut your cals from that. .8 -1g protein for every lb of lean body mass (everything except body fat); cabs based on the carbohydrate curve (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz2Xoj0o02V), and fill in the rest with fat. My macros are 15% carbs, 65% fat, and 20% protein on 2300 cals/day.
  • Prettygirl150
    Prettygirl150 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My macros are set for 40% carbs (108g); 30% Protein (144g) and 30% Fat (48g) so I will keep them like this, but try to stay under 100g of carbs so I can be in that constant state of losing weight ... I have to say so far I feel really good. Today isn't an 100% Paleo day, but its pretty close and I can feel the difference in my energy levels and I definitely do not feel bloated.