Eating Primal Ruined These!!!

Options
danamariers
danamariers Posts: 155 Member
(And I couldn't be happier about it) - Since eating primal, and diving seriously in to the deep end of primal in the last 2.5 weeks, most of the foods that used to be treats or even necessary are just awful and I'm completely thankful for it.

Pizza/breads tastes bland and processed, doughnuts taste like corn syrup, dessert bars (which frequent my office) taste like wax and sugar, candy is overpowering and awful... And despite the Low Carb Flu right now, I'm glad these foods have lost their "flavour powers" if you will. I don't feel tempted to buy them, when they are available I either find myself eating far less of them than I would have previously, or passing them up altogether.

I used to rely on drinking protein shakes to get me from breakfast to lunch, from lunch to supper. Now I find myself only having protein powder after intense workouts because the rest of the time I'm not constantly feeling starved like I used to.

What foods have eating primal/paleo "ruined" for you? :)

Replies

• carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have been doing paleo for about two weeks and we are already starting to look at things in the grocery store like potato chips and snack foods, and say, "Ew, processed crap." It's awesome!!!
  • Joydriven
    Joydriven Posts: 46
    Options
    Many! I actually can't even buy things in a box any longer. It just reminds me of cat and dog food that is poured into a bowl, then eaten with spoons or fingers. So, I no longer buy any of it for my husband and son. And have told them if they want different foods they'll have to get them. My motto is " Do not buy anything in a box unless its' food for the appliances or pets."

Me, personally, it's Cheese Nips. For some reason I would see the box, crave it, buy it, decide to only eat a handful only to find myself twenty minutes later with my hand near the bottom of the box and my mouth filled with dry fake cheese crumbs. Regret. Repeat next month. Ugh! They so remind me of cat food now. I pity the cats.
  • mirandaeaston
    Options
    Been 6 months now paleo. Had a bite of my husbands ice cream the other day tasted like paint in my mouth had to spit it out. It has been so amazing the changes in my body mind and way I think about food . I have alot more weight to loose but I know it will come off and I will get there healthier than ever before.
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I wanted to eat something just because it tasted good! I was determined I was ready to "cheat". So I raided the fridge. (We've only been paleo a week.) And I saw exactly what I wanted - a leftover turkey burger patty - no bun. SO I put some mayo on it. And that was my big "cheat" - mayonnaise. LOL.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    A lot of processed sweets have a weird taste to me when I've been strictly eating Paleo. Or are WAYYY too sweet.

Side note: I <3 your ticker! Mario FTW!
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke! I drank at least one every day. I did a Whole30 in April and didn't drink it all month. ONce it was over, I thought, "I can finally have my liquid goodness!" Bought a fountain drink and two sips later I was throwing it away! Thought maybe it was because of it being fountain so I opened a can (my favorite way to drink it)...2 sips later, dumped it out! It tasted horrible! I haven't had any since then!
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I am like this with white bread stuff and Taco Bell (which I use to be addicted too back in the day). I can't do the super processed simple carb thigns like "little debbi" stuff either. I haven't lost my taste or everything, but it does make it soo much easier when you do lose your taste for that stuff!

Recently for me it was almond milk AND coconut milk. They both started tasting nasty though I use to drink them both no problems. That is more the "Primal" dairy side of me though since of course dairy milk is a "no" in Paleo world.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with the cakes/pastries (though I did have a few bites of a homemade coffee cake last month...delicious!), fake ice cream, cheesy crackers - anything with fake fillers, really. If I'm gonna have ice cream now, I'm gonna make it the full-fat, no fillers, delicous kind! I was just telling my girlfriend the other day, that now I can taste the partially hydrogenated oil crap in some stuff, like cheese nips (it tastes like margarine). I have no desire to eat any bread anymore, though sometimes I think I miss toast, but it's really I miss having something to put butter on. :laugh:

At the holidays, the sweet potato dish with the added brown sugar and marshmallows was waaay too sweet for me - I've gotten used to not needing to add anything but some butter and cinnamon to mine at home, and even that is sweet enough to be a dessert for me.
  • freespiritcavin
    freespiritcavin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sugar, I had one of my daughter's M&M's (her MomMom bought her) the other day and it was too sweet and ew. It's been hard for me with other stuff, I have cheated a few times and had carbs (bread) but it was not as good as I remembered so I am sure it's a matter of time before it will also be ew, lol!
  • learysp
    learysp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I wanted to eat something just because it tasted good! I was determined I was ready to "cheat". So I raided the fridge. (We've only been paleo a week.) And I saw exactly what I wanted - a leftover turkey burger patty - no bun. SO I put some mayo on it. And that was my big "cheat" - mayonnaise. LOL.

same here! but i make my own mayo so i know its paleo.... eggs and olive oil.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I miss having something to put butter on. :laugh:

SAME HERE. So I at least put it on veggies. I bought a small cup of truffle butter about 2 weeks before going paleo/primal...it was going to originally be for pasta. Now it's amazing on fresh green beans especially...and broccoli. :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

SAME HERE. So I at least put it on veggies. I bought a small cup of truffle butter about 2 weeks before going paleo/primal...it was going to originally be for pasta. Now it's amazing on fresh green beans especially...and broccoli. :)

Sometimes I make one of those low-carb MIM's - muffin in a minute, from flax meal, then smother in butter! mmm. :bigsmile:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Sometimes I make one of those low-carb MIM's - muffin in a minute, from flax meal, then smother in butter! mmm. :bigsmile:

I make coconut flour and almond flour muffins all the time and put butter on them. YUM!
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    Sweet potatoes with cinnimon or salt are SOO good! That is my Yum treat now. I also like Japanese Yams a lot, made the same way. I have a chocolate weakness, but even then I prefer dark/less sweet chocolate to generic chocolate any day. M&Ms are pretty, "meh." I've had MUCH higher quality chocolate than those things.

With bread stuff, I have just cut it out almost completely. I don't really do the replacement almond flour or whatever. I did make some gluten free pancakes for my not-so-paleo son (between daycare and his dad it won't ever happen) a few weeks ago and they were good. Though mainly good because I put some creamed honey with blueberries I bought at the farmer's market and butter on them. On the rare occasion I decide I want a peanutbutter sandwhich I use sprouted whole-grain bread from Garden of Life or someone similar. Not paleo/primal at all, but I like it and I only eat it once every month, sometimes less. Thankfully that stuff lasts a while in the fridge.
  • lizibk
    lizibk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eating primal style ice cream (frozen fruit blitzed up with flaxseed, honey and almond milk) has totally ruined Ben and Jerrys and other ice creams for me :( had some the other day and it was so sweet it was almost painful in my mouth..

Now if only I could shake those bread cravings!