How quickly increase weights?

Options
ajidllensi
ajidllensi Posts: 71 Member
Ladies, I just started adding more weight to my strength training. I have quickly found that I can add A LOT more weight than I was doing before....strange. I am trying not to go too heavy too fast as I don't want to risk injury. However, I have nearly doubled some of my weights in last few weeks. In some cases I can only do 6 reps, so I think that is a good place to stay with the weight until I can easily to up to 10 reps, then increase the weight. However, in some areas like my deadlifts, I have nearly doubled the weight and still can do 10 reps pretty easily. Do I inch up the weight more, or stay there for a few weeks?

Replies

• Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Inch up. If you're nervous about injury than just add 5lbs at a time.

Listen to your body- if you feel like you can do more than do more.

Good luck!
  • AbbyPDX
    AbbyPDX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think (especially) women tend to start out lifting way less than they are capable of. Is it possible when you started out you didn't know what it felt like to push yourself or max out? If so and you've gotten used to that, it might just be that you're getting more comfortable with lifting, form, being strong, etc. In other words, if you had tried the weights you're doing then, maybe you'd have been able to do way closer to what you're doing now but just didn't push to try.
    If that's NOT the case, I'd go up slowly. If you were maxing out before and all of a sudden are doubling everything, you should give your muscles/joints time to adjust to those new weights. Congrats though!