Told to seek the advice of Sensei Steel and Sara

Options
_Kitten_Kate
_Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
Hi! ... First let me say, I have read the "Read this" info. And have done my home work.
I am 38. 5'10. 216lbs. Goal is 160-170...size 10/12.
I eat high fat/protein ...lower carbs.
Now, Let me give you a lil background on me. I started this life change January of '12. And have lost 40lbs since. Through out the process I have been lifting like a big girl. Pretty consistently...but varied in the amount. Started out with 2-3 days of workouts. (Worked out with a trainer off and on for 6 mos or so) Currently I hike 2-3 days and lift 3 days. During last year I lost 3-5lbs a month. Never more. Yes I have lost inches. Went from a size 18/20... to now a 16 pants/14 dress.
In January of this year, I took a break. I didn't go crazy off the wagon. But I didn't workout. I ate sensibly with some splurges of crap food... mexican, chickfila, sweets. And I gained a cpl lbs. In Dec I was 219... in Feb I was 222. I started back with the trainer one day a week to get back on track. Lost down to 214. In April I lost my job, so no more trainer. (And lil side note about the trainer... I didn't love the way he trained me. I wanted to increase wt and decrease reps.. but he had me doing med. wt and 25 reps on most things.) Needless to say I workout differently. I don't like to run. I LOATH cardio equipment. I will hike for 3 hrs up the mountain before I stay on a treadmill for 30 mins. I will occasionally do intervals on the treadmill if I can't get outside. But no more than 15mins. Crazy. I know.. but I just can't stand it.
Anyway. So...

My point of all this is... I am not losing. I am not losing what I would expect to see as I am "obese" HA!... and have 50+lbs to lose. I had tried to spur a loss by lowering my cals a bit. I tried to spur a loss by raising them too.LOL.
I am stuck on what feels like a 5 month stall. Since March I have gone up and down the same 3-4 lbs. between 214-217. (Ihad one day at 212... but only lasted a day.)LOL
I had my RMR tested in June of last year. It was 1760. I had it retested in March it was 1886.
Last year I used a Body Media Fit LINK. My TDEE on lazy days of doin nothing was 2300. On days of hiking it was approx 3300.(subscrip ended-didn't renew.)
I use a HRM for workouts-Polar FT4....
My burns hiking are 800-1300. And lifting are 300-550ish.
I have used HeyBales spreadsheet. It gives me a TDEE of 2674 and says to eat 2038.
I had my macros set to C15/P45/F40. I increased my cals today to 1969.(another spreadsheet #...if you have seen his stuff... you know its many #s and way over this blonde girls head)
I have my carbs low because I try to avoid grains. Though I do splurge and pay for it with intestinal grief.
But I LOVE fruit and will go over on the carbs with fruit regularly.
I did the IIFYM cals today... and they seem doable...
25% cut gives me 2011 cals. 92G Carb/216gPro/86G fat.(tho it'll be a struggle to get to 216 in protein.)
My BF% was 31% in April from 7 pt caliper done by the trainer. heybales spreadsheet gives 33%avg
My "NET" cals for this week-so far avg'd to 1249
Last wk Avg 1273
Average consumed cals over the last 28 days is 1642... the range was 1100-2600.(I up'd my cals 3 weeks ago(gradually from 1350-1800...to today 1969)
About 2x a month I will have a "vacation" meal. Not day.... and eat close to maintenance.
I don't drink alcohol regularly... maybe 2-3x a month. And I log it.
Last week I burned 4499 cals thru exercise. and had a 7198 deficient. And didn't lose jack crap. This week so far it's 2344... got gym today and 5 mile hike tom morning. So it should be close to 4000 again.
Someone on my pal list said I was working out too much. HA!
I have increased my workouts since April... adding in a day more of hiking and a day of lifting.
ETA:...re: lifting...
I lift no lighter than a 15# dumbbell... or a 50# barbell.
I squat 90#...leg ext 120#...leg press 180#...chest press 65#... split squat 60#... lat pull 80#...
I struggle with upper body. Can't do a real push up. YET!!
And I am trying a month of Crossfit... starting in 2 weeks.

I weigh meats and measure salad dressing. But kinda find it pointless to measure veg. But if that's what I need to do I will... pain in the *kitten*. I use coconut oil, MCT oil, olive oil. And generally don't eat "low fat" products. Or "diet" products... except crystal light sometimes.
I have weighed peanutbutter. but now eyeball it. And there have been times that I have gone over the 32g... but it's not possible to throw me off that much. I'd have to eat cups of it. But will wt that too if need be.

My protein over the last wks ranged from 138-171(2wk avg 142g)
Carbs have been around 67g-262(splurge last night)(2wk avg 124g)
Fats this/last wk avg 93g
I probably eat 4-5 times a day. Not a big breakfast eater so it's usually a protein shake. And IF I am hungry before bed I will do a lil protein shake.
I also do a carb/fat/protein combo after a heavy workout... protein shake, apple, peanut butter. ..all logged.

My days right now are pretty sedentary other than my workouts. I am sitting looking for a job online.
I have never meal planned. but eat pretty much the same thing all the time. Chicken... some fish.. some chicken... steak... and some chicken. salad... veggies... Protein powder... Ump cookie/cream..oh yeah. vanilla cream... oh yeah chocolate peanut butter.
I take some suppliments... amino acids, CLA, vit C, probiotic.

I don't mind posting pic of the bod... if that will help.
The majority of my fat is belly and boobs... and a lil smoosh at the top of my thighs.. a lil smoosh in back of arms.... I love leg/butt workouts...so I feel like they are pretty good looking considering I am 200+.

I am bound and determined to be a hot freaking 40 yr old. We got a year and 8 mos.

Lay it on me Sensei!!
Help stop the insanity of constantly obsessing over why I am not losing!!!!

xx Katie

ETA...No medical conditions that I am aware of.

Replies

• _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Was reviewing some number tonight, doing some brainstorming of sorts. Average consumed cals over the last 7 days is 2089. Avg cals burned per day with workouts last 7 days 584... total of 4088. Net cals avg 1464.
    Avg Protein 160g
    Avg Carb 136g
    Avg Fat 98g
    Wasnt sure if what I had put earlier was clear information. I know it was a long *kitten* post. Sorry. Just wanted to get all the information out.
    If there is anything else you need, let me know.
    Thanks so much for all that y'all do. Been reading several posts and replies. Very kind.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    HI!

We should be responding tomorrow (or possibly later today if we have questions)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Firstly, I see nothing crazy about detesting cardio!

You mention the things you do and do not weight - do you weigh other things such as nuts, cheese etc?

What has your weight done over the last 8 weeks? - in weekly increments if you have it available. Also, since April, how many days do you lift and how many days do you hike? Roughly how long is each session/hike?

This is an odd question - what do you do with the butter in the morning? You only have coffee with it - do you put it in that (I know people put coconut oil in it sometimes, but I have never heard of putting butter in it).
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Firstly, I see nothing crazy about detesting cardio!

You mention the things you do and do not weight - do you weigh other things such as nuts, cheese etc?

What has your weight done over the last 8 weeks? - in weekly increments if you have it available. Also, since April, how many days do you lift and how many days do you hike? Roughly how long is each session/hike?

This is an odd question - what do you do with the butter in the morning? You only have coffee with it - do you put it in that (I know people put coconut oil in it sometimes, but I have never heard of putting butter in it).

Hey!
    Yes I do measure nuts... pecans, a 1/4C...28g is my palm full. Measured it so often.. I just know...
    I don't eat cheese very often. But when I do... like yesterday, I do measure it. I weigh meats, I measure out salad dressing.... there may be an occasional time that I don't... but in general I do. Like I said, I don't bother to measure veggies or fruit. but I will if you say I should.

Over the last 8 wks...(.I weigh everyday... have since October of last year. Was trying to see a trend ... if there was something maybe hormonal or whatever that may keep me from losing more than what I was...3-5/mo).
    SO!...
    I'll go back to April... First wk I was 216.2 and stayed within a qtr lb of that or so til 4/16 was 213.6 then went up to 215.8... and by April 30 was 213.8 again. Beginning of April my cals were set@ 1800 I think. Mid April I dropped them down to 1350. And ate back 70% of exercise cals. So, was eating about 1700-2000 on a big workout day.
    First wk of May...went back to 215.... went to the beach... came back and was 216...
    June...Did about the same went up to 217 on 6/2.... back down to 215.4...213.8 on 6/14....back up to 215.8 on 6/16...214 on 6/19...to 216 for the past 7 days. Early June is when I decided to bring the cals up to 1700-1800... and NOT eat back. And then Yesterday changed it to 2000.
    In March...just cuz I have it in front of me... I was 222 - 218 the majority of the month.
    In April I was working out with the trainer, usually about 60-75 mins... then I would go hike some days after. If it was just him and I did cardio machine with him after or during... I would burn about 500-700 cals. His goal was always get to 500.
    At that point I was with him 2x a wk then I would go to the gym myself and have 340 ish burns and would hike once maybe twice a week with 500-800 cal burns depending on which trail I did. Weekly totals in April were 2400-4000 cal burn for the week.
    First week of May was only 1087 cals for the week. (Lost my job on April 28)...2nd week was even less went to the beach....574 for the week. Wk 3 was 2529 for the week...Wk 4 was 3630. Last week of May was when I started amping up the hikes(harder trail... longer and up hill) and gym. from 3-4 days up to 5-6...There were days in the first wk of June...I would hike and go to the gym multi days.... did 5036 cals that week. But that weeks wt stayed at 217 and the following wk as well. Wk 2 of June was 2100 cals...wk 3 was 5163 cals. This wk so far is 3644 but have tomorrow at the gym and maybe a hike.
    The long hike is 2hrs...five miles. 1300 cals(generally only once a wk.) The short hike is about 1.25hr. Usually about 600-800 depending on the trail. Gym... I try to be in and out in no longer than 45mins... burns are 300-500cals. I hike 2 days atleast...but not more than 3... and I gym 3 days.

Re: the butter, ... I have tried everything that seemed half way logical to try to get the ball rolling. Like I said... I've lowered cals ... I have raised cals... eaten high fat high protein low carb.... never low fat. ... never high carb. (Side note-diabetes is in my family...) The butter thing was something a MFP pal told me about... Bulletproof Intermittent fasting...
    Butter and MCT or coconut oil in coffee in AM... don't eat until you have had a 12-16 hr fast from the night before.... You can only have that coffee... when you put the oil and/or the butter in coffee..and blend, it emulsifies and makes it creamy like if you were to add cream. I stopped doing the butter and just did mct oil and then stopped all together because it would make my stomach hurt. I am not really a coffee drinker. But thought if it would help me start losing I would try it... But I do still add the mct oil to my morning protein shake... good fat... can't hurt right?....(Ihope) Then your first meal after the fast was to be high(good) fats So I would eat avocado and/or an egg.
    It really did nothing for me...the bulletproof fast..... No carbs no fruit. Only fat and protein. I was cranky without my fruit...even if it's just a cpl times a week....I felt the need fruit in my diet.

I've tried primal/paleo/ketogenic blah blah blah...I have heard it all and read it all I think.
    There is this guy that I am kinda friends with... he told me how he lost 130lbs and he didn't count calories... he ate high GOOD fats... and did HIIT/tabata....and would lose 20lbs a month....I feel like when someone tells me stuff like that they are selling snake oil. And in a way I guess he was cuz he is opening his own gym...and has his method of doing things. But some don't seem logical. He said something about not letting your body's systems interfere with each other... your digestive system, your immune system and your kinetic system... which I guess he meant muscle system...?? and not to eat before bed it interferes with immune system and not to eat before gym... interferes with kinetic system. WHATEVER!!! LOL

SO! with all that crappola being said... I've read thru several of your posts...and yesterday started to measure things I wasn't before... like peanut butter...though I had been estimating pretty close. but going over by half a serving with PB is an extra 100 cals. yikes!!!

I hope I gave you all the info you need. Thanks again for taking the time to help me. Sorry it so LENGTHY... just want to make sure you have all beneficial info.

;)
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Just thought I'd update y'all. Down to 214 this morning. -2lbs.
    ETA: Measurements
    Bust: 41.5", Under bust: 36", Waist" 37",
    Neck: 14.5", Belly: 42", Hip: 44.5", Arm-rt 13.25"
    Leg: top, 26.75"- mid thigh 22.5", Calf 16".
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks for the update and sorry for the delay. We should get back to you soon.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Hi....still waiting....
    :/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You have a lot of missed or incomplete days and a significant number of days with quick adds, sometimes for very large amounts which will lead to the fact that the data we will be trying to use not being near to accurate.

When reviewing your diary from May through now, which is when your weight loss stopped, you have:

May 5, 13,14,15,16 not logged at all

May 28 and June 5 incomplete

May 3,7,9,10,11,12,17,18,21,23,24,25,26,30,31, June 3,4,9,15 and 16 with quick adds, ranging from 200 - 1,600 calories

This represents the significant majority of the months of May and June, the months we would look at for data to use for our intake recommendations, inaccurate.

As you are not losing, and in fact gaining a bit indicates that on average, you are consuming too many calories. We therefore would recommend that you log accurately. Doing low carb/paleo etc etc will not help you lose weight if you are eating too much, and the amount you are eating cannot be determined without accurate logging. We also recommend using a food scale for as much as practicably possible. Even inaccuracies in estimations of fruits and veggies, when added to other inherent inaccuracies, can eat into your deficit.

As your last 2 weeks look more complete and do not include quick adds we can use this as part of the data we use for further intake suggestions, however we would like more data (and data with more accurate weighing and logging) , so we suggest that you set your targets at the following for the next two weeks and get back to us then so we can make further recommendations.

Note, this method does not have you eating exercise calories:

1,800kcal

130g protein
    60g fats

as minimums with the balance based on preference, energy and adherence.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    You have a lot of missed or incomplete days and a significant number of days with quick adds, sometimes for very large amounts which will lead to the fact that the data we will be trying to use not being near to accurate.

When reviewing your diary from May through now, which is when your weight loss stopped, you have:

May 5, 13,14,15,16 not logged at all

May 28 and June 5 incomplete

May 3,7,9,10,11,12,17,18,21,23,24,25,26,30,31, June 3,4,9,15 and 16 with quick adds, ranging from 200 - 1,600 calories

This represents the significant majority of the months of May and June, the months we would look at for data to use for our intake recommendations, inaccurate.

As you are not losing, and in fact gaining a bit indicates that on average, you are consuming too many calories. We therefore would recommend that you log accurately. Doing low carb/paleo etc etc will not help you lose weight if you are eating too much, and the amount you are eating cannot be determined without accurate logging. We also recommend using a food scale for as much as practicably possible. Even inaccuracies in estimations of fruits and veggies, when added to other inherent inaccuracies, can eat into your deficit.

As your last 2 weeks look more complete and do not include quick adds we can use this as part of the data we use for further intake suggestions, however we would like more data (and data with more accurate weighing and logging) , so we suggest that you set your targets at the following for the next two weeks and get back to us then so we can make further recommendations.

Note, this method does not have you eating exercise calories:

1,800kcal

130g protein
    60g fats

as minimums with the balance based on preference, energy and adherence.

Ok. Thanks for letting me know.
    The week in May I was on vacation and didn t' log.
    Can't explain the incomplete on June 5th... but May 27/ 28 was actually a complete day. I just woke up late, ate later than normal.(Memorial day weekend) and combined a late lunch/early dinner.
    Quick add cals are self explainable.... didn't or couldn't log, so made a best estimate on it.

But I completely understand that there is inconsistent info to go by.
    I started measuring EVERYTHING yesterday. But am going to visit some family Wed -Sat. and will be difficult to log but I will do my best.
    What would you suggest when you can't prepare/wt/measure your own meals for a few days?

I will make the changes you suggest. And get back to you in a few weeks.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to look over everything.

Another quick question...
    Re: tonights dinner.... I prelogged and made my salad according to what I logged, But I could only finish half of it. So, I guessed and half of everything I logged. What would you suggest in a case like that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It really is a case of 'do the best you can'. Life happens and we would not expect anyone to take their scale with them everywhere.

When eating out, you can usually find nutritional information. When eating round friends/family, just estimate the best you can. I usually find similar sounding meals in the database and err on the side of caution by taking one that is on the high end of calories. Make sure you pick one with macros in it. You can also make a note in the notes section when not sure so you have a record of the big estimates.

If I only eat half - I just half the amount I logged, assuming I did not eat all the cheese and leave the salad (which I have been known to do!).

Usually, if there are only a few days/meals here and there it does not cause a big issue. It happens with everyone, and is actually one of the reasons that people cannot understand why they are not losing weight at the amount the online calculators say they should be.

For example, I do not log coffee, artificial sweeteners, gum and cooking spray. I know I do not log them and consume them regularly, so my actual calories are probably 100 higher than I log a day. It is not an issue as it is consistent and I go by my results rather than what an online calculator says it should be. That way, my information is at least usable as it is consistent and can be applied to future decision making (as I will continue to drink coffee, use artificial sweeteners and cooking spray).

We look at longer term trends, so an inaccurately recorded meal here and there is not a huge issue. We just need to actually record the best we can based on the situation.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Locking for administrative purposes. Please PM one of us if you'd like this thread unlocked to reply, and include a link to this thread in the PM.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in unlocking this.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Thanks...
    Not really sure what info I am suppose to give you here now.
    I am down to 214... 2lbs. since the beginning of July. ( went to 213 for one day)
    I have been weighing EVERYTHING. I had a few days here and there of not adhering to the macros...under on protein.
    Kept notes in the food diary every day since your reply.
    I hope it's enough information to reassess my diary with more complete logging.
    I started wearing my Body Media Fit armband again last week and with the exception of yesterday where I did absolutely nothing... and today where I have a negative on the diary from BMF... my daily cal burns have been no lower than 2400... and the high end being 3000.
    It may coincidental but the days/week that I didn't work out or hike(only once or twice) is when I showed a loss.
    This week I am going to start running/jogging parts of the trail. My cal burns on the same trail are less than what they were a cpl weeks ago.(by about 130 cals) I assume I am adapting to it... not that it seems any easier, especially on humid days.
    I did measurements today and they are the same as a few weeks ago.
    I really enjoy gym workouts and certainly want to continue and progress with it. I know this may be sacrilege... but should i decrease wt and increase reps/sets? Been doin 12-10-8 reps 3 sets of max wt... whatever the case may be.
    Have considered getting a blood test to make sure everything workin. Last one was March of '12.
    If there is any other info you need from me please let me know.
    I did lower the MFP cals to 1400 but have gone over almost every day. I did that solely based on the BMF cal burn #.
    IF your suggestion is to stick with 1800 regardless, I will change it back. But the thought was that for days when I do absolutely nothing, like yesterday, I would still have a deficient. If that is wrong, please tell me. I am here to learn.

Again, I can thank you enough for taking the time to do and share all that you do for me and all the others.
    Extremely generous and kind of you.
    Kate
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Bumping to the top
  • SideSteel
    Options

I did lower the MFP cals to 1400 but have gone over almost every day. I did that solely based on the BMF cal burn #.
    IF your suggestion is to stick with 1800 regardless, I will change it back. But the thought was that for days when I do absolutely nothing, like yesterday, I would still have a deficient. If that is wrong, please tell me. I am here to learn.

When did you do the above change (what date?)
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    I started back wearing the body media fit armband on the 7/15. After 5-7 days & getting an avg TDEE of approx 2400 I changed the cals to 1400. So changed cals around the 20th. But like I said. I have gone over in attempts to meet protein macros. And some just cuz I was more hungry.
    This AM I am 211.4. Down from 215/216.
    It just started falling off this week. But I also haven't been to gym. Just hiking. Today will be my first day at wts in about 2 wks.
    My lowest cal burn on those days 2 days I did nothing was rt at 2000. Can't remember if I told you that.

Any other info just let me know.
    I honestly think my biggest issue was not weighing everything.
    Huge eye opener. Even with something as simple as a apple.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Typo correction. 210.4 this AM.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Wt 211.8. Yesterday was one those flukes where it drops low one day the rt back up it goes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi

It is really hard for us to advise when changes are made without our input. Eating to a set amount will often mean that some days you are at a surplus and others a larger deficit - it is the overall net deficit that matters, not the day to day one.

Fitbits, BMFs and other similar devices are not always that accurate which is why we base our advice off actual results.

You seemed to be losing at a decent rate between 7/2 and your update. Your average calories were about 1,890 during that time, although there are a few missing/incomplete logging days that are excluded. A bit over what we suggested, but you were losing weight at that intake. I am not sure why you decided to change things. However, your actual calories have been even higher since you reduced your target. While you have lost a few more pounds since then, decreased water weight from not lifting may be playing a role.

I would suggest that you stick to the original calories macros for 2 more weeks and we can assess from there.

Excluding the partial or unlogged days, how was your accuracy in weighing, measuring and logging?
This discussion has been closed.