Worst Beer

Options
TeamEdwardJenn
TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
I went to Great Lakes Brewing Brew Pup the other day , and i tried Alberta Clipper on draft....Ohh yuck !! its a Raspberry stout ....it tasted like crunched up Flinstone Vitamins..Naaaasty :)

Replies

• esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I'd probably like that beer as I like fruit stouts - Bells Cherry Stout, Dark Horse Tres (blueberry stout) and Saugatuck Neopolitan Stout (strawberry/chocolate/vanilla) are among my favorite beers.

My least favorite beers are any of the fizzy yellow lagers out there, though my lowest ever rating of 0.5 on Rate Beer was for Pigs Eye Lean. That was just utter garbage.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Fruit ales are terrible.. like Sam Adams Strawberry Ale.

I also had one by Tommy Knocker that was called Butthead or something?? I couldn't give that one away.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options

I also had one by Tommy Knocker that was called Butthead or something?? I couldn't give that one away.

I agree that most fruit ales are absolutely disgusting. It is like a wine cooler and a beer had an awkward child...I had this one beer a few years ago that was supposed to be blackberry flavored...the horror is still fresh in my mind. I do have one exception to this, and that is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, which I have been known to drink occasionally.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Lol, well as a homebrewer I can say that I've made some absolutely nasty beers, but they've all been the result of an infection, usually something that eats lactose... My first attempt at my Hazelnut Coffee Stout, as well as my first "Poopy Diaper Ale" Cream Stout were undrinkable. I had to dump 2 cases of beer!

However my worse commercial beer is probably Crabbie's "Original Alcoholic Ginger Beer" - it was ridiculously sweet and just... ...gross. Even my wife had to chase it down with a Coors... lol!!!
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options

I agree that most fruit ales are absolutely disgusting. It is like a wine cooler and a beer had an awkward child...I had this one beer a few years ago that was supposed to be blackberry flavored...the horror is still fresh in my mind. I do have one exception to this, and that is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, which I have been known to drink occasionally.

Generally, I am inclined to agree, however, Samuel Smith's Strawberry Ale is great (one at a time,) and a local brewery, EBC, has a bluberry wheat that is an AMAZING breakfast beer.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Heading to Great Lakes next weekend - will be sure to steer clear of the Alberta Clipper.

I think the one I hated the most was Southern Tier Live. Smelled like cat pee, and tasted worse...
  • EponaBlue
    EponaBlue Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Had a nasty one last night. Mikkeler Monk's Brew which was described as a belgian ale brewed with raspberries in wine casks I believe. It looked like some of the fluids I have seen on the job (I'm a nurse) and was just sour and highly unpleasant. And the bottle cost me $15!
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Worst beer--most anything by Shipyard. Just a terrible brewery. We generally replace the "p" in Shipyard with a "t". The yeast strain they use-- Ringwood is prone to producing buttery flavors and such although some breweries use ringwood and their beers are decent IMO--e.g. Dogfish Head.
  • vickish76
    vickish76 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    While I am a fan of almost everything else Rogue does (especially Dead Guy) I humbly submit Rogue Brewery Yellow Snow IPA. Named perfectly...
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried Cave Creek Chili Beer. By far the worst beer I have ever had :grumble: :grumble:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It's a tie.

Abita Purple Haze
    and
    Presidente

What is this horrible stuff my friends left in my fridge? Presidente. :sick:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried Cave Creek Chili Beer. By far the worst beer I have ever had :grumble: :grumble:

DUDE!!! I had the Chili Beer on Saturday night. It was vile. A gift from my wife, she put it in a pick-a-6 pack, knowing I like spicy food. I was nice so drank half, but couldn't finish it. Started getting a stomach ache. It's like a bad batch of Corona, so they shoved a chili in there to try and make some money off it. Disgusting.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

This is my all time worst as well. Second worst is probably Corona Light.
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that fruit beers are the worst, although I brew an Apple Cinnamon wheat. The flavors are so light, you can't tell. And it's a crowd pleaser to the point of a local brewery owner wants me to brew it there. I won't, cause he wants it for free, so he can make money. Sorry dude, nothing comes free, and you just lost ALL of your good brewers, so i don't see your business lasting long.

Anyways, my worst beer would be "Wild Blue", if you can even call it a beer. Talk about sickening (cloyingly) sweet, this thing was pure sugar. UGH.
  • vickish76
    vickish76 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My dad (mid 70s) loves that beer! I do not understand it. He also likes Key Lime Wine which is like a really really sweet Boone's Farm.
  • ganbaranba
    ganbaranba Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's a tie between Shipyard's Applehead and Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat. I like many fruit beers but these two just don't do it for me.
  • j75j75
    Options

DUDE!!! I had the Chili Beer on Saturday night. It was vile. A gift from my wife, she put it in a pick-a-6 pack, knowing I like spicy food. I was nice so drank half, but couldn't finish it. Started getting a stomach ache. It's like a bad batch of Corona, so they shoved a chili in there to try and make some money off it. Disgusting.

I could only get half a bottle down and then I threw in the towel. I even tried adding a lime after the first disgustingly bad sip, didn't help much. Now I am kinda upset because I have 5 more of these things in my fridge. I'm trying to pawn them off on friends when I have people over. It's a slooow process. This is by far the longest a beer has EVER sat in my fridge. :grumble: :grumble:
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options

I could only get half a bottle down and then I threw in the towel. I even tried adding a lime after the first disgustingly bad sip, didn't help much. Now I am kinda upset because I have 5 more of these things in my fridge. I'm trying to pawn them off on friends when I have people over. It's a slooow process. This is by far the longest a beer has EVER sat in my fridge. :grumble: :grumble:

When my friends and I come across a crappy beer, we keep it for a major sporting event and make prop bets where the loser has to drink the bad beer. It's a fun way to rid yourself of the swill.
  • j75j75
    Options

When my friends and I come across a crappy beer, we keep it for a major sporting event and make prop bets where the loser has to drink the bad beer. It's a fun way to rid yourself of the swill.

Great idea!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's a tie.

Abita Purple Haze
    and
    Presidente

What is this horrible stuff my friends left in my fridge? Presidente. :sick:

Gotta agree with purple haze, all I could taste was straight vomit. Too much butyric acid from firmentation. Crazy thing is, a cajun co-worker says he loves the stuff.