calorie question

Options
I know that the "rule" is 1200 cal per day to keep your body from going into starvation, but after surgery isn't hard to get in 1200? I sometimes can't get 1200 in now.

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    That's a rule meant to cover their butt, not help you. You should do as your doctor and nutritionist say. I keep scrupulous track of everything I eat, weighing every morsel. And for the first eight months after surgery, I averaged 1,040 calories a day, but I'm 6'3" tall, and started out a lot bigger than you. I see a lot of WLS patients here eating 800 or 900 a day.

What has your program advised?
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Oh, everything you read on MFP about starvation mode is rubbish. If you are obese, you have a lot of fat to burn, and your body will not "hold on to it" as many like to say. If you are truly eating less than you are burning, you will lose fat.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 Cals pre op before my sleeve from 2/1/12 to 5/30/12 and lost 47 pounds. Post Op Sleeve surgery it took me along time to get to 1200 cals. I am over a year out and just now eat around 1300 cals but went from 350 to 500 to 800 to 1000 and then 1200 cals through my WLS post op journey. I didn't raise it to 1300 till I hit my personal weight goal and didn't want to loose anymore. My WLS nut. told me to raise it to 1500 and eat back all my exercise cals burned last week so I did but then gained like 4 pounds so I went back to 1300 cals and eating some but not all of exericised cals back. I don't wanna loose anymore but just maintain at 125-130 for my 5'4" height.
    Good luck!
  • steffyp01
    steffyp01 Posts: 34
    Options
    They haven't set a calorie goal yet, I just keep reading about the 1200. I find it hard to get that in now. I'm only 5 foot 1, so I'm thinking my calorie goal should definitely be less.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Your NUT should be able to guide you. Mine has progressed from 600-1,000. I can get in 1,200 a day but I don't like to. As long as my protein and fluid are where they need to be, those are my drivers.
  • russlynne
    russlynne Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh, everything you read on MFP about starvation mode is rubbish. If you are obese, you have a lot of fat to burn, and your body will not "hold on to it" as many like to say. If you are truly eating less than you are burning, you will lose fat.

I can only lay witness to my own experience. I hit a plateau 8 months out that lasted 7 weeks so I decided "If I'm not losing weight, I must be eating too much" so I cut my lunch and my second protein shake. This resulted in another 7 weeks at the same weight. When I expressed my frustration (I was SO near ONEderland it hurt) at a support meeting, one of the nutritionists called me aside after the meeting and asked what my typical day was like. She wanted to know EVERYTHING...exercise, food, suppliments, water....everything!!. After I told her what my typical day was like , she asked me where my lunch was...where my second protein shake was.. When I explained my thinking she said that I was NOT eating enough. she told me to put back my lunch and to add MILK to my protein shake, (I usually used water) I rebuffed and said that I would gain weight. She told me to trust the surgery (RNY May 2006). she said you MIGHT gain for a day ot so but that I WOULD lose. so I did as she said and my daily weigh in went like this ...200, 201 ,201, 202, 203, 204,204, 205, 205 ,204,203, 202, 201, 200, 199(FINALLY ONEderland) and it continued until I fell all the way down to 135.

Just my experience.... oh...and I started at 265