The exact moment! GROUP DISCUSSION

Options
When was the exact moment when enough was enough and you decided to change your lifestyle and become healthier?
Was it a photo?
Certain clothing not fitting anymore?
What someone told you?
Health issues?
What was your breaking point?

My breaking point was when my size 24 pants got to tight and weren't fitting anymore. I went to Lane Bryant and tried on a size 26( THEY BARELY FRIGGIN FIT) holy crap, What have I done to myself? Why dont I care about myself? LIfe was pretty bad. I had no hope at all. I knew that I couldnt keep living life this way I was 325 lbs and I started having health issues (my feet and hands would burn and go numb) that scared the crap out of me. I had to get a grip. I have only lost 35 lbs but I now comfortably wear a size 18. Its not about what the scale says its about how your body is changing. My husband and I wanted to start trying to have a baby and I am so glad I didnt get pregnant at 325lbs. I could barely move or breathe. Now I see a good healthy future ahead of me. I just started back on my meal replacement shakes (they fill me up when im insatiably hungry) and I am hoping for the best.

Replies

• Chubby_never_again
    Options
    My breaking point was earlier this year when I was going to spend my gift cards that I got from some relatives on my birthday. On the bus, trying to pass through the turnstile( did I wrote this right?), I was stuck and I couldn't leave. The conductor of the bus had to help me so I could get out the turnstile :grumble: :sad: :embarassed: ... It was extremely embarrassing .... It's been months and because of this story I never got into a bus again, now I just go out with those who have a car and can give me a ride....
  • FruitSalad76
    FruitSalad76 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my mom passed away from cancer in 2012. I joined the gym to help with the stress and it just felt good .
  • scronen
    scronen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Mine was this year...avoiding having my picture taken and not wanting to hang out with other people because I'm always the fat one. I realized I'm missing out on pictures with my boys and they are growing up so fast. And I know my husband wants to hang out with his friends from work but I feel so awkward around their skinny wives.
  • myjourney1213
    myjourney1213 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem I try to avoid taking pictures. I lost about 50 pounds two years ago but ended up with a knee injury working out at the gym and now I gained the weight back. I was done to a size 12 now a size 18 which was starting to feel snug.

I at my point were I am not happy about the way I look or feel. I have a goal to lose 102 pounds

Squat challenge meet for the day
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My breaking point was ealrier this month. I had gone to a doctor because I was having breathing difficulties. My oxygen saturation at the office was 93%, and my resting heart rate was 111. i really thought I might have congestive heart failure. I seemed to have a lot of the symtoms for it.

I prayed asking God to PLEASE let this just be a "warning" to me and I WILL get my body back to where it used to be. ( I had gained 100lbs after my dad suffered a massive stroke which nearly killed him. Though he is bedridden, he is very much alive, thank God!)

I went to the doctor and told him what I was experiencing. .. difficulty breathing, etc. He didn't want to rule "anything" out. He listened to the symtoms and did tests. I had two tests done in the lab for my heart which both came back NORMAL, I had a chest exray done where I was expecting to find fluid around the lungs. NOTHING! That too, came back perfectly normal. He also did an EKG on me and that like the other two came back NORMAL. Thank God! I KNOW he heard my prayers and those praying for me, and has answered all our prayers. O:) (angel with halo)

I DO believe I have a thyroid disorder. I have just about every single symtom of a thyroid disorder. Especially the intolerance to COLD. I expected the blood work for this to come back NORMAL, and unfortunately it did. But I am most appreciative that this served as a warning about what I was doing to my body! :embarassed: :embarassed:

There are two things that are keeping me on track with this plan: ONE: my promise to God that I would take care of my body, and TWO: the doctor suggesting bypass surgery for me!! That was such a huge insult to me. I am not sure HOW HEAVY you have to be to be considered a canditate for "by pass surgery" but from what I have seen on TV, it was a HUGE insult to me! But it did get me moving!! And I have EVERY INTENTION to send this doctor a pic when I lose the first 50lbs.. WHEN.. not if!

* my goal is to lose 100lbs and get back to where I USED TO BE! *
  • dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well...I have been aware that I was in need of doing something about my weight for some time now, but it was never on the front burner. Yeah....I'm the queen of procrastination! :frown:

Well, my family and I went on a cruise last May (2012).....that settled it, I was fat and I needed to do something. :embarassed: I stewed over it for 11 solid months before I took one single step forward! I made every excuse under the sun, and probably a few more. But, to say it was one event....well, it was more like several event all in a very short time frame that kicked my butt in gear! The cruise only being the first.

Then in December of 2012 (Christmas), my husband bought me a tanzanite ring that I was wanting. I was surprised that he actually put so much thought into it. It has 3 tanzanite stones (one for each of our sons) and 2 diamonds...one on each end (for my husband and I). When I opened the ring on Christmas morning....it was a pretty bitter sweet moment.....the ring was beautiful, but it came no where close to fitting. :cry: When I looked up, I could see the disappointment in my husband's face.....he wanted me to love the ring, and at that moment I hated it! :brokenheart: I was so mad at what I had let myself become.....I was just disgusted. :noway: But, I still did not do anything about my weight.....in fact, I think I ate even more.

Then in about March I had to speak to a patient about losing some weight....and it clicked at that moment, with that patient! I will be graduating with my BSN in December.....I'm going to be a nurse and I need to set a good example for my patients! Gosh....I must have looked like a total hypocrite telling my patient to lose some weight. Me, 5'4" and 268 pounds.....standing there in my 2XL scrubs! What the heck?!?! :mad:

So I joined the gym in April, but could not muster the courage to go. What would everyone think.....me, and my fat butt on a treadmill. I will be the laughing stock of the gym.:embarassed: Well, I finally went the second week of May, and to be honest, that first week I was SO uncomfortable....but, not any more! I'm on a mission, a mission to find what is under the fluff!

I have another cruise booked for the end of Feb. 2014, and I will wear cute clothes, I will wear a swim suite, and I will take a picture in the same location, on the same darn stone donkey (lol) as the one from the cruise in May of 2012! Then I can say, look what a difference 22 months can make! By the way....the ring now fits, and so do my wedding rings! :smile::heart: :happy:
  • angesjourney
    Options
    I knew that I was gaining weight the last couple years and I attempted to lose it but my final breaking point was the day after I got to florida and weighed myself.. 139 pounds. I've never been that heavy. When I delivered my first daughter I only weighed 132 so 139 for me was ridiculous. None of my clothes were fitting. That was the day I said enough is enough!!!!
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Mine was more breaking POINTS. I have been struggling with my weight for a while, and it was suddenly in the last year that I saw that my oldest daughter was now having weight issues. That was like a kick in the teeth. But who else could I blame, but myself? Who taught her how to eat? Who taught her portion control? Me. And obviously I am a horrible teacher. And now we have a 4 year old. She is now at the age where she is paying attention to what people do and trying to be like them. Did I really want to do this to another child of mine? It was at that point that I decided to change myself so that I could be a better role model for my girls. I have pains in all my joints; I'd like that go away. I get out of breath easy; I'd like that to away. I hate the way I look in clothes. I don't take pictures. I'm missing out on life. So I'm changing it. And I'm trying to get my girls into it with me. It's baby steps but I'm getting there. And I'm going to do it. Both for me and for them.
  • RickyLuvsMary4ever
    RickyLuvsMary4ever Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of little lights go off in my head and a ten pound jump start.

I have had every reason to lose weight but no motivation.

This year to save money I started to pack my food, I lost ten pounds with out trying, that sparked me to keep up the good work.

I had a ten pound jump start to get the ball rolling! Sweet!