Cross-fit?

Options
blueimp
blueimp Posts: 230 Member
I know that every box is different, but I'm wondering how appropriate this level of training is for people "of a certain age" who have not exercised beyond the basics (daily walking, bike riding, occasional personal training). I feel like I need something radical to push my metabolism, but I want to make sure that the box employees are attentive not just o form, but to keeping levels appropriate to age and fitness. What experiences have others had?

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There is a guy at my box who is 70, he's got a bit of a belly but after a year at crossfit, he's fitter than me! (Although i'm tediously unfit)

All the movements in crossfit can be scaled to your ability, and the trainers are very good at setting you at the right pace in the right direction. E.g. I can't do pull ups, so I do ring rows instead in a WOD and practice my pull ups in a skills session. I can't jump very high so I use the smallest box (There are about 5 variants). I can't run very well so I'll choose a "bronze" version of the WOD which is 400m instead of 800m, etc.

I really recommend you go along just for a try and see how you get on.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    There are people of all sizes and fitness level at my box, and thought the routines are vigorous they offer modification if you express that a certain routine is too much for you. There are different sizes boxes for the box jump, there are different weight and bars and balls and there is the rowing machine for who can't run

Also, they break the classes in two, you have foundation and regular, foundation is for beginners, so you start there and work up. Foundation is no joke, but they don't give us the level of work the other group gets.

You coach should work with yo, assuming you find a good box, I have heard some horror stories. Give it a try, trust me it is amazing!!!!!!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just had my first foundations class on Monday, but I agree with PP's. Everything is scalable and your coach will definitely work with you.
  • sgrant918
    sgrant918 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in my early 40s and have not really done this type of things before but started crossfit a little over 3 weeks ago and I LOVE it!! I've never been an "athlete", just moderate excercise and a failed attempt at P90X :-) My trainers are great at scaling things for me and modifying for my level but also encouraging me to do more than I *think* I can. I had rotator cuff surgery just over 2 years ago and I was terrified about re-injuring my shoulder but I'm no longer concerned about that -- my box believes in safety first. Go for it!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your great responses!