Cutting to compete.

Options
I'm having issues with my leg day. I do some serious damage to my legs every workout. Being to where walking is a chore and running isn't an options till four days later. With the damage comes the hunger. The day after I do my legs I have a ravenous hunger. I tend to always cheat on my diet the day after. Any suggestions on perhaps lowering the intensity and being able to do cardio more often and being able to stay on my diet, or just sucking it up and keep the intensity high?

Replies

• drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I have found that LARGE protein and BCAA intake along with ON Opti - Men Multi Vitimin help IMMENSELY. The night before, and the day of my leg workouts ...
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You're really not gaining much if any muscle when cutting, so doing intense leg workouts to failure may not be necessary.
  • lockebright
    Options
    This is my thoughts exactly. I honestly thinking I am doing more harm than good when staying under a 2000 cal diet and lifting with that intensity. It's a mind game though...knowing your not pushing your self to the max gives me the impression that I will somehow lose definition and muscle gainzz.
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    While Im cutting I prefer to eat all my foods instead of drinking shakes or anything just so I can have the satisfaction of chewing something lol it really does help. Also your cutting, not building give it 100% but dont treat your workouts like you did when you bulked. Be wary that your in a deficit so you body cannot repair itself as effeciently as when you had the extra calories to do so you dont wand an injury that will hinder all your gains
  • lockebright
    Options
    Yea I figured that out the hard way. The legs was the last thing to take the hit. I done a lighter but just as intense leg work out yesterday. I feel better, and am able to get up by myself.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i'd drop the volume a bit. as long as you're getting a reasonable amount in, and getting some moderately heavy work in, you shouldn't lose too much muscle while cutting. but if you're natural, you aren't going to be gaining much muscle. so as stated above, i don't think i'd stress about running myself into the ground.

intensity is a percentage of your 1RM. ex. 80% is an intensity.
    10 sets of 10 is volume or workload.
  • nyqueensguy
    nyqueensguy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Im not a serious body builder but I do lift. When I do legs I always get pain the next day, especially after cardio, but not to the extent you are describing. I dont feel that im doing damage. Maybe im not working hard enough? I tell you what though, when im done, Im done!!! takes me about 50 minutes.
  • lockebright
    Options
    I have always had a soft spot for squat and leg press. Someone told me before, "if your not experiencing flu like symptoms after your leg wokout, your not doin it right!" It's the truth really. Knocking out a set of 20 after you've done 6-7 previous sets will set you over your threshold of pain! Wether your gettin it in with 300, or 135, a set of 20 on the squat will put you back a few days and give you some serious gainz over time. I first started doing 225 for a set of 20, within 6 months I was doing 295. It works.
  • Lettuce31
    Lettuce31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're really not gaining much if any muscle when cutting, so doing intense leg workouts to failure may not be necessary.

I agree you don't want to 'destroy' a muscle that you not taking in the calories to repair.