Exercise

Options
lcohen11
lcohen11 Posts: 6 Member
Hi Medifasters!

Can anyone give me some tips on incorporating exercise into the diet program and whether or not it affected or helped with weight loss. I have been on Medifast for 5 months and have lost pretty consistently, but I find whenever i exercise even for 30 min on a treadmill, my losses stall. Is this something that goes away over time? I would love some pointers! Thank you!

Replies

• mjones6599
    mjones6599 Posts: 129
    Options
    I would say that if you enjoy exercising, do it! Weight loss stall or not. Being healthy is far more than the numbers on the scale, and you probably feel amazing when you exercise. In addition, developing a habit of exercising will help you maintain when you transition off the diet.

As for me, I also was an exerciser prior to going on the medifast diet, but I began training for a 5K about the same time I joined. My counselor advised me to scale back the exercise a bit to maximize weight loss (I was running 3 miles every other day). I started walking on the treadmill, but it just wasn't the same. I went back to running, and now run 6 miles every other day, and do the elliptical on the opposite days. My weight loss has been steady, I don't feel hungry, and I feel great.

So strap on your ipod, crank up the tunes from the '80s, and get your treadmill on!
  • tyanna68
    tyanna68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I too am a runner. Did my first half marathon last year. I tried doing MF while I was training but it was hard. I even tried doing the 4 and 2. I think my problem was not being prepared. The whole time, my coach would yell at me for exercising so much but I felt like I was untoned if I wasn't. Now I just started MF again this week. I have walked not ran a 5k and went on a hike but that's all for this week. I actually stalled on my running and need to slowly get back into it. My coach is already riding me as she sees my FB about exercise. I am not doing as much as I was last time but I can't just sit on my butt and do nothing. I guess I have to decide if I want fast weight loss or slow. Is my running a 5k every weekend worth the stalling of my weight loss? Such a hard decision. I think I will just play with it and see what happens.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi there! This is a great subject! I was able to lose 75lbs on the program and I have kept it off for almost two years. I love running too. I ran and ran and ran before I gained all of my weight. This is the thing I have seen over and over with exercise and this program. It is soooooo individual. What you may be able to get away with on program may make another clients weight loss completely stall out. It's kind of an experiment to see what your body can do. There are guidelines on exercise on the program. My personal experience was I was able to train for a 5K and I still lost consistently. Once I decided to train for a ten K and I hit the 5 mile mark I completely stopped losing weight. It took me 2 months of fighting with my coach till I finally toned my running back down. Once I did I started losing again. You should exercise and the program encourages you to do it. Its part of creating a healthy life style. I have a great article that was sent out last week by Dr Anderson about exercise and the program. PM me if you would like me to send it to you.
  • tyanna68
    Options
    Exactly, everyone is different. I will be doing another half in October and I know I will need to go to 4 and 2 when I'm training. But for now I will keep my running scaled back a little. I commend my coach for losing all the weight she has and she is a great person but I don't know about others, sometimes I feel like I'm 5 years old. My plan, lose some weight and become a coach!!!!
  • tyanna68
    Options
    Does anyone eat their extra calories if they exercise?