Need Paleo Support Friends!

Gabbie0214
Gabbie0214 Posts: 12 Member
Hi! My name is Gabbie and I'm 30 years old. I have finally found how I can truly feel amazing. I did a Whole 30 in April and felt incredible, after the first week or so ofcourse! I was drinking around 6 cups of coffee a day, diet coke, adding Splenda and Truvia to ice tea, the list of crap goes on and on. I finally broke through the caffeine and artificial sweetener addiction! From May til now I have been following the Paleo diet really well during the week... then Friday afternoon comes around and something hits me. Its like a flip is switched. All of a sudden I want chocolate, ice cream, anything loaded with sugar. I have a hard time saying no to myself, so I think well I will just a have a little bit- this is a lifestyle afterall. Then a little turns into a lot, and before I know it I am on a sugar and completely NON PALEO BINGE. It really is ugly. I was off MFP for a while because I felt like I was missing the point of listening to my body about how much to eat and when to eat, I feel like I have a better grasp of that now but what the hell is going on with these binges?????? It always ends on Sunday, because I wake up feeling like complete ****, for lack of a better word. I am angry with myself, and my family takes the worst of it. My head is pounding and my depression is back full blown. I think it would help if I had some Paleo Friends to help me stay motivated. My husband is so not paleo, he eats a paleo dinner but that's about it. I have two children 5 and 4 and really will eat whatever I give them. But they aren't people I should be getting support from. So I really don't have anyone to go to when I feel myself slipping.... Please add me if you can help me! I will return the favor I promise. Helping others stay motivated keeps me motivated! Thanks for reading my rambling!
Gabbie

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    I'd be happy to add you! Weekends are the hardest for me too, but I've committed (publicly, ha!) to eat 100% paleo for the month of July (at least). I'm undecided about tracking my meals, but I probably will since I tend to under eat when I stick to paleo.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Feel free to add me! We all have those days and certain foods that could derail us. I've started figuring out substitutions for things...like instead of ordering pizza, I get sausage, pepperonis, shredded cheese (if you do primal with dairy), homemade pizza sauce from tomato paste, and put it all in a bowl and gobble it down! It's so filling, and you don't miss the crust at all...especially when you can go crazy on the meat and cheese. :) It's not 100% paleo since it involves some processed meats and cheese, but it's a better substitute than the crusts/gluten!

Weekends are totally tough, especially if you don't have a plan. Stick a roast in the crockpot Friday morning before work, and come home to some yummy dinner that you can serve to your family and potentially have leftovers for the next day. Don't just think up a plan, do something to make it happen. That's been the best help for me!! And get the crap out of the house. Since your kids eat what you give them, that's so great! Get any non-paleo snacky things out...and let your hubby fend for himself if he wants something that doesn't help you further your goals. :)
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Hi Gabbie! Your post sounds exactly like mine would, except I am 42 (26 at heart! ;-) ) and the only children I have are my husband and a 4-legged creature. I did a Whole30 in Apreil as well....my first venture into the Paleo lifestyle and I am hooked for life! I feel so much better and when I do have my little cheats, I can feel it. The weekends are definitely a challenge since I travel a lot on the weekends and the fact that when I am home, my husband still eats his crap. The cheats have been farther and fewer between as time goes on but I can't seem to let go of the adult beverages on the weekends.

I got back to MFP so I could track my carb intake since I am trying to lose weight but I am trying not to focus so much on the calories...kinda hard when the number is really BIG on my phone app! I could use the support too! I'll send a friend request shortly!
  • ces79
    ces79 Posts: 13
    Hi Gabbie! I'm new to this as well. I've been following the Primal Blueprint for about 2 weeks and feel awesome! I think that awesome feeling has kept me from eating junk food. If I want something sweet, I have some strawberries and blueberries or a small piece of dark chocolate. Feel free to add me and anyone else on here. We can all exchange recipes or provide encouragement.
  • Sprinkelss
    Sprinkelss Posts: 40 Member
    You are more than welcome to add me, my diary is quite boring as I follow the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol but I have some good resources if you have questions etc. I have been Paleo for nearly 4 months now.
  • Grammi_C
    Grammi_C Posts: 11
    Hi! I too am trying to follow Paleo. It has only been a week or so. I just ordered a couple of Paleo books and can't wait until I receive them. I want to learn and follow this way of eating. So far, I have lost 6 lbs, lost my cravings for sweets, my joints have ached less, knee pain has subsided. I am sleeping more, and I notice more energy. I would like to meet other Paleo'rs ( lol is that a word?) so feel free to friend me!
  • michele040673
    michele040673 Posts: 71 Member
    Can everyone add me? Going to try paleo lifestyle but am confused with all of this. What is primal?
  • MamaVeronicaWorksOut
    MamaVeronicaWorksOut Posts: 43 Member
    @michele040673 - There is a thread stickied to the top of the group forum titled "Difference between Primal and Paleo." You should read it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/423769-difference-between-primal-and-paleo
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you like!

I stumbled upon primal and Marks Daily Apple after finding out I was insulin resistant and have eaten this way for about two years now, not 100% but consistently as possible :) Haven't felt this good in a long time
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    You can add me . I have been paleo / primal since November . My whole family eats that way . I love it and see me never going back . :)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Hi! My name is Gabbie and I'm 30 years old. I have finally found how I can truly feel amazing. I did a Whole 30 in April and felt incredible, after the first week or so ofcourse! I was drinking around 6 cups of coffee a day, diet coke, adding Splenda and Truvia to ice tea, the list of crap goes on and on. I finally broke through the caffeine and artificial sweetener addiction! From May til now I have been following the Paleo diet really well during the week... then Friday afternoon comes around and something hits me. Its like a flip is switched. All of a sudden I want chocolate, ice cream, anything loaded with sugar. I have a hard time saying no to myself, so I think well I will just a have a little bit- this is a lifestyle afterall. Then a little turns into a lot, and before I know it I am on a sugar and completely NON PALEO BINGE. It really is ugly. I was off MFP for a while because I felt like I was missing the point of listening to my body about how much to eat and when to eat, I feel like I have a better grasp of that now but what the hell is going on with these binges?????? It always ends on Sunday, because I wake up feeling like complete ****, for lack of a better word. I am angry with myself, and my family takes the worst of it. My head is pounding and my depression is back full blown. I think it would help if I had some Paleo Friends to help me stay motivated. My husband is so not paleo, he eats a paleo dinner but that's about it. I have two children 5 and 4 and really will eat whatever I give them. But they aren't people I should be getting support from. So I really don't have anyone to go to when I feel myself slipping.... Please add me if you can help me! I will return the favor I promise. Helping others stay motivated keeps me motivated! Thanks for reading my rambling!
    Gabbie

Feel free to add me!

Have you been doing anything to repair a possibly off balance digestive system? That could be the cause of the sugar cravings. Pro-boitics and fermented foods will help.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    i will add you. I found paleo back in January, did a whole 30, felt great of coarse and then stress with school, a month vacation and birthdays pretty much ruined all my progress. I am currently back on a whole 30 even stricter than the one i did before and am on day 5. so happy to be back here.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    yay for whole 30 and paleo! I will add you. :D
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    I actually started out doing the 4 hour body diet back in January, and that allowed a cheat day once a week. And I felt very similar to what you are describing - I'd eat so much crap I felt awful. Which in retrospect really helped me to ditch the cheat days altogether. I started out eating anything and everything I wanted on that day, and then switched to just eating like a bite sized brownie, and as I started to realize I felt better without it, I've stopped cheating altogether. I'm actually currently doing an anti-inflammatory diet, but it's basically paleo but a little more restrictive (no pork, no dried fruit, no honey...). I basically just eat veggies, meat, fish, eggs, fruit, coconut and olive oil, nuts and chia seeds.

My recommendation is to make a list of all the ways you feel better when you are eating well and when you have those cravings, refer to it and remind yourself that by eating crap, you're depriving yourself of feeling good. Usually we see it the other way around, that you're deprived of the cookies or ice cream, but it helped me a lot to realize that I want to feel good long term, not just for the few minutes I'm eating junk food.

Feel free to add me too. :)
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Weekends are the absolute hardest for me too!! My ultimate goal is to be 100% Primal/Paleo for a month, but I'm sticking to 80/20 for now. Hopefully I'll have the will power to be 90/10 soon. Baby steps, right?!

I'm happy to be a support friend for you, or anyone in this thread/group. I'll send you a friend request! We're all in this together!
  • steffenk1
    steffenk1 Posts: 38 Member
    I would like to be your friend and support also I am new to the palo diet what do you mean when you say whole 30 is that a month of following the Palo diet. Can anybody suggest a site to go to research further thank you. Thanks:bigsmile:
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    The Whole 30 Challenge is a strict 30-day "diet" based on the Paleo food plan. I recently completed a 7-week Whole 30 program. More info on the Whole 30 can be found at these links:

Whole 30 Program: http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/
    Quick Start Guide: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf
    Shopping List: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf
    Pantry Stocking Guide: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Pantry-Stocking.pdf

Here's info on Paleo:
    What is the Paleo Diet: http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    I would like to be your friend and support also I am new to the palo diet what do you mean when you say whole 30 is that a month of following the Palo diet. Can anybody suggest a site to go to research further thank you. Thanks:bigsmile:

This site will give you the info on the Whole 30 diet: http://whole9life.com/start/
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Congrats to you for going this far and for asking for accountability.
    Did you read ISWF before doing your whole30 by chance? Sounds like you are a victim of "food without brakes" and your list is a bit longer than some. I have several that trigger addiction - so I just have to stay away completely. There is a reason lays potato chips say you "can't have just one" - they made it addicting on purpose.

Your post made me think of these two recent articles.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/8856420/How-carbs-can-trigger-food-cravings

& I love this woman and her blog - I started following her almost two years ago. She has been on TV shows since she has kept the weight off so well - but this blog post is a great honest update of her progress and how EVERYONE has struggles.
    http://primaljourney.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/everything-in-moderation.html
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Please add me as well. I'm new to this site but I've been paleo/PB for two months and love this lifestyle. :)