diabetic sweets, would love some help

Options
Ophidion
Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
I have a diabetic friend with a sweet tooth and would appreciate if anyone could provide me with links to obtaining sweets that are safe for diabetics as I do not see this person curbing their intake but I would like to provide healthier alternatives. We are in Australia and either have little options and the ones we have are severely overpriced. Links to online stores would be highly appreciated.

The guy is around 62 yrs of age and recently had he's Gall Bladder removed as well as suffering from Pancreatitis recently. He is lets say having probably changing life long eating habits

Any help would be appreciated.flowerforyou

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    As mentioned on your original post in the general forum, I am sure someone on here will have an insight to this.

Sorry I couldn't help anymore than suggesting you post here.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    As mentioned on your original post in the general forum, I am sure someone on here will have an insight to this.

Sorry I couldn't help anymore than suggesting you post here.
    bump and thanks
  • Ophidion
    Options
    He is type 2 who uses insulin injections if that helps people with advice.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    bump any one?
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Sweets - do you mean candy? Cookies? Cake? Pie? Ice cream? Things to make at home or things that are commercially prepared? Commercially prepared is tough - most things geared towards diabetics are much too high in carbs to actually be suitable ... or filled with sugar alcohols (which can cause quite of bit of intestinal distress) ... or both.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Or he could go see a nutritionist who would be best qualified to assist him in foods to eat. If you want further ideas I would suggest looking online at Diabetic Living - it's a magazine with good advice, recipes, etc.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened berries topped with whipped heavy cream lightly sweetened with Splenda or Stevia.
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil fat bombs really take the edge off and there are huge benefits with coconut oil for diabetics. Google and you'll see.

My favorite are Salted Raisin Fat Bombs

1-C Coconut oil
    1-Square Bittersweet Baking Chocolate

Melt in microwave 30-seconds

Use paper candy cups and fill with 8-raisins.

Pour chocolate mixture into the cups and sprinkle with Fleur de sel.

Chill in freezer for 20-mins.

130-cals each with 4 grams of carbs.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake is pretty diabetic friendly.

Strawberries with balsamic vinegar (I get a chocolate flavored vinegar and it is awesome on strawberries).
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is a cup of Greek yogurt mixed with a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Tastes like the filling of a cheese cake. I'm sure you could use other flavors to make a more pudding - like flavor, I just can't find small enough packages anywhere to make it cost effective to keep those on hand for a once in a while thing.

Toss in 1/4 of berries (might have to add a little stevia or sweetener of your choice if the berries are really tart) and it is decadence in a bowl!

I also will do this, toss in an egg and a serving of soluble fiber when I blend it, then pour it off into popsicle molds (the small ones - maybe 4 oz? size?) then freeze. Tastes like real ice cream, but without the hassle of the ice cream maker.
  • kyla4u
    kyla4u Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For the coconut bombs ... How many cups do you fill with this recipe? It sounds amazing!
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get 14-full mini-cupcake/candy cups from one batch. Please tell me how you like them.
  • louwags
    louwags Posts: 6
    Options
    Here's a thought for you:

Way back when, I was making a cheesecake that was very diabetic friendly.

I made a crust strictly from finely crushed pecans and butter.

Then the simplest cheesecake recipe I could find that was just mix and pour without having to cook it. The trick, of course, is to use Splenda and while I'm not a fan of Splenda for various reasons, the whole 9" round cheesecake pie was a grand total of 10 carbs, all from the crushed pecans.

Found everything by Googling. I'll try to remember to post up more detail this evening.

--Wag--