Fitbit Anyone? HRM?

Options
arainaken
arainaken Posts: 12 Member
I've decided to purchase something to encourage me to move even more then I already do. I only want to buy one thing. Going to do more research, but wanted input from MFP friends.

Replies

• peepsqueek
    peepsqueek Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and love it:) I never leave home without it and it keeps me moving as much as I can. It tracks sleep which is great little tool, when you sign into the fitbit site you can have a friendly competition with others and try to keep up or pass others in step counts. This little tool has made me more aware of the steps I take each day and how much energy I burn as well as calories burned :) I have a brand new HRM at home and I havent used it yet but I think I will give it a try and maybe they will work great together. Good luck in your choices :)
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and a heart rate monitor. They do very different things.

The HRM monitors your heart rate during exercise and calculates the calories you burned during your workout -- only during your workout. (Note that it is not considered to be accurate for weight lifting, yoga and other non-cardio type of activities). Most people buy these for the calorie burn. I'm an odd ball. I got mine to monitor my heart rate. :-)

The Fitbit One uses a formula (based on your age & weight) to estimate how many calories you burn all day. This base range can be achieved by wearing it or leaving it on your dresser. In addition, it estimates how many additional calories you burn by using a device called an accelerometer that measures your body movement. It counts your steps, knows if you've been walking slowly or quickly and is supposed to know if you've gone up a flight of stairs (but I've found the stair thing to be somewhat inaccurate).

I don't think there is any wearable device that can exactly measure our calorie burn, our sleep, flights of stairs, etc. But in MY case -- someone whose exercise consists mainly of walking 7,000 steps a day -- I've found the Fitbit One to be a really good estimator. Even better, it's a wonderful motivator!

Some people say the Bodymedia is more accurate because it takes into account body temp, skin moisture, etc. But I am glad that I did not go with the Bodymedia. Wearing it on my upper arm all day would be a problem.

The Fitbit is small, discreet. The biggest complaint I hear is that people lose them. I keep mine clipped to the inside of waistband of my panties. That way, if it falls out of its little holder then it can't fall to the ground. I think this also minimizes the chance that it will end up going through the wash after a quick clothing change.

Also, the Bodymedia charges for its website. The Fitbit is free. Without the Bodymedia website or an extra watch-like purchase, you can't read the day's calorie burn. With the Fitbit One, everything is on the face of the tracker at the click of a button so you can check your progress throughout the day. (note: it does reset itself at midnight)

Just know that the Fitbit does not sync with all phones. If your phone is not on the list, your Fitbit won't get to the Fitbit site or MFP until you get home to your computer. Personally, I don't find this to be a problem since I already know how many calories I want to eat and do not base it off my Fitbit burn.
  • arainaken
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the info! I really am grateful for all of your time and input. I think I will start out with the Fitbit. They have a new arm bracelet one, so I will have to research that. After I get used to the Fitbit, then I'll purchase a heart rate monitor. I really am so excited and thankful I joined MFP. Told my husband tonight, if I did this years ago, I would've stayed thin and been more healthier!
  • Mollyjaw
    Mollyjaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Let me know what you think and where you can get a good one without spending a fortune! :-)
  • arainaken
    Options
    I wanted to get the Fitbit Flex, but it isn't out yet. Then I was told there is another amazing all in one on the horizon, The Amiigo bracelet. I want something now, so the Fitbit One it is. They should have all the bugs worked out of the other's by the time I finish with this and then I won't have to buy a heart rate monitor? $95 on Amazon Prime?
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar FT4 on sale at Sears.com for $45.99. Shortly after, they ran out of stock and then the price jumped back to $89.99. I

I did notice that Amazon has it on sale for $59.99. It's the ugly bronze one (like mine), but for the price I did not complain.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366931886&sr=8-4&keywords=Polar+FT4

The cute pink & purple one is down to $66.27 at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366932063&sr=8-1&keywords=Polar+FT4

There are others listed, but I tend to look for the items sold by Amazon, so I know there won't be a hassle if I need to return it.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I love my Nike Fuel Band... my husband loves his fitbit. I just have killed too many pedometers washing them after I left them attached to my jeans.

Good luck .. my fuel band motivates me all day long!
  • sawiemken
    sawiemken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit one and never leave home without it. I've been careful not to wash it though. :happy:

I like the friendly compatition that happens on there with your friends you can see their steps and try to out do them or encourage them or chat with them.
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I have a pedometer and love it. It has radically increased the amount of walking I do. Now I walk when I talk to friends on the phone, and that is a lot of steps!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If anyone would like to be "fitbit friends" message me, or send me your link! I just got my flex this week.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have an exerspy, I just need to remember to wear it more consistantly. . .I'm really good at taking it off to shower and forgetting to put it back on!
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar FT4 on sale at Sears.com for $45.99. Shortly after, they ran out of stock and then the price jumped back to $89.99. I

I did notice that Amazon has it on sale for $59.99. It's the ugly bronze one (like mine), but for the price I did not complain.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366931886&sr=8-4&keywords=Polar+FT4

The cute pink & purple one is down to $66.27 at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366932063&sr=8-1&keywords=Polar+FT4

There are others listed, but I tend to look for the items sold by Amazon, so I know there won't be a hassle if I need to return it.
    The one you have is also on sale at HeartRateMonitors.com for 62.88 with 5% off and free shipping. Not sure about their returns policy! (Coupon code MFP5.)
  • jiz35
    jiz35 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a Nike Fuel band. Feel it is a bit of a waste of money and wouldn't get another.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day with my BodyMedia Fit Link....and so far so good! I am still trying to figure it out....like I've never used blue tooth before, so I don't know how to synch it up with my yet. I do see that it estimates my calories burned at a much lower rate than MyFitnessPal. It is too early for me to tell you if I like it or not. Time will tell. I did earn the money to pay for it through losing weight doing DietBets. I do want to get an HRM eventually. It was really a toss up for me between BodyMedia and FitBit. FitBit is less expensive, but I thought I might lose it. It's harder to lose something that is strapped to your arm. I would love to try one out though!
  • maryshanahan
    maryshanahan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bought the Fitbil pedometer and love it! Measures my activity and tracks miles walked, which also syncs with MyFitnessPal. It's wonderful. Extra calories earned are added to MFP for the day.:smile:
  • maryshanahan
    maryshanahan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit. I attach it to my pocket at the beginning of the day and off I go. It encourages me to walk more because of my 5 miles per day goal. One day I even made it to 7 miles!!